Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

guige straps on shields............

Go down 
AuthorMessage
konradr

konradr

guige straps on shields............ Empty
PostSubject: guige straps on shields............   guige straps on shields............ I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 8:18 pm

Normaly depicted with kite shields, but were used on Scutum's, ovals and large rounds in antiquity. The guige strap is the long strap usually across the top of the shield. It was used to carry the shield over the shoulder or across the back. We use them for back shields, but back in the day they would use them in frontal combat as well. See the pic below:

guige straps on shields............ Etienne

You may think that would inhibit movement, but in fact I have heard SCA fighters say it is a good way to ensure you keep your shield close to your body. The strap prevents you from pushing the shield out and exposing your upper chest. You know what I'm talking about. If you keep getting hit in the upper chest, maybe you are pushing your shield out too far. I tend to do it alot. I start out with the shield close but in some movements I tend to forget and push it out too far. A guige strap may be just the thing to force you to keep it close to the body.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html

guige straps on shields............
Page 1 of 1