Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

Posible Wepon

Go down 
+3
Kilanos
Phoxly
Korinox
7 posters

Should suffed cores be allowed
yes
Posible Wepon I_vote_lcap50%Posible Wepon I_vote_rcap
 50% [ 1 ]
----------------------------
Posible Wepon I_vote_lcap50%Posible Wepon I_vote_rcap
 50% [ 1 ]
No
Posible Wepon I_vote_lcap0%Posible Wepon I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

AuthorMessage
Korinox

Korinox

Posible Wepon Empty
PostSubject: Posible Wepon   Posible Wepon I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 10:36 am

ok you all know I'm new to this game and all about learning it from every angle so I would like to know something my dad asked. Hes asked "With reds and polearms can you fill the PVC or Plexiglass with closed cell foam/Spray Foam/camping gear foam."

this idea bacame an intrest for if you could fill it then a larger wepon like a red could become more stabel when you swing and miss and beabe to recover faster and swing again

Also if this works id like 2 wepons made 1: a blue Scimitar with fibberglass and 2: A red polearm Pudao aka "Pole Sword" with the pvc/stuffed if it is allowed
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

Posible Wepon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posible Wepon   Posible Wepon I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 2:17 pm

Do you mean to put foam inside of the hollow center of the pvc? If you want the pvc to not flex as much you can put 2 fiberglass rods in it, or get a bandshoppe pole for $8 and it will never (I mean it.) NEVER break. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kilanos

Kilanos

Posible Wepon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posible Wepon   Posible Wepon I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 2:18 pm

You can technically put anything inside the core as long as you don't use metal in the in any part of the striking surface. It is actually common to put a wooden dowel in a pvc core, with gorilla glue, to help prevent flexing. I don't understand how this would help you recover faster on a large weapon unless you are talking about adding a counterweight near the pommel end which is absolutely allowed.

-Kil
Back to top Go down
Surt

Surt

Posible Wepon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posible Wepon   Posible Wepon I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 2:22 pm

u can fill the core sure but i don't think that will help too much with pvc but go for it. i would just get a band shop pole.

king
Back to top Go down
https://baraddun.forumotion.net
konradr

konradr

Posible Wepon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posible Wepon   Posible Wepon I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 3:37 pm

Bandshoppe pole, 1" you can order online or Kilanos says we can get locally. They are the preferred "Red" or pole weapon core. No or very little flex. They can break, we have seen it happend (Think Knubbs and the beehive, hey, sounds like a movie title).

PVC is terrible for Pole weapons and MUST be stiffened with something to be a passable red. I had put two 3/8" fiberglass rods along the outside edges, (Big axe and min glaive) both eventually flexed out. PVC just won't take the stress too long or our heat.

1/2" square fiberglass rod is the best for a red, no or little flex.

The only way to make a scimitar from fiberglass is to make a foam box and carve its shape. You can't curve the rod. Curved weapons are made from PVC. You can hold it over the stove and as it warms up, its pliable. You can bend it to the shape you want, then dip in cool water to harden. Then foam it up.

We will have a weapon's building day before SamHain. That will be a good time to learn. We should do this, in fact, before Rennfair. 2 reason's, K'urn the master weapon's smith, will still be with us, and we need good weapons to put on a good show.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Sarabi

Sarabi

Posible Wepon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posible Wepon   Posible Wepon I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 12:34 am

i had a friend who used to do that and the core would break much faster for him... band shop would probably be better yeah it cost extra but it's something that you can keep for awhile but i don't know much about weapons
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1336161982
Forkbeard

Posible Wepon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posible Wepon   Posible Wepon I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 21, 2010 1:26 pm

Here's my 2 bits. This is my bag, so I'll show y'all what's in it.
I would never use pvc for a weapon core. At all. If there was nothing else and I couldn't wait, I wouldn't make a weapon over 30 in long out of it. It is a horrible crap material. Every time I use a pvc sword, it breaks.
PVC red weapons are the worst waste of materail.
Get a band pole, like your leaders say. It is totally worth it. If your makeing red Swords, not pole arms, you should use 1/2" square fiberglass for swords 4' long. For 5' swords, I use 3/4" solid round fiberglass.
Never skimp on sword core material. It always breaks and is a waste of foam.
FB
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Posible Wepon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Posible Wepon   Posible Wepon I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Posible Wepon
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Barad'Dun The Western Tower :: - The Armory --
Jump to: