Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

Dagorhir Garb Initiative

Go down 
+4
Sarabi
Phoxly
Hxctemplar
Dwyna
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Dwyna

Dwyna

Dagorhir Garb Initiative Empty
PostSubject: Dagorhir Garb Initiative   Dagorhir Garb Initiative I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 9:29 pm

This afternoon I received an email from the Dagorhir Boards. I hope everyone else finds it as informative and helpful as I have
study

--------------------------------------
Dear Chapter and Unit Leaders,

My name is Stellaria, and I've been working for a while on an initiative to improve garb rules enforcement in Dagorhir. I don't know if this is the case where you are, but I know that a lot of places don't enforce the garb rules as strongly at home events as they should, and I'm hoping that we all can work together to change that.

The new fighting season has started, and I'm sure everyone is gathering their gear together, making repairs, and figuring out what they still need to make to get them through another fighting season of day events and campouts. This would be the perfect time to remind your people to look over their garb as well, to be sure that everyone has at least the minimum needed to pass the rules.

For clarification, this is what is listed in the MOA:
1.3 - All participants must wear a costume ("garb") that meets or preferably exceeds minimum Dagorhir requirements:

1.3.1 - A tunic or "medieval period" style shirt, dress, or vest of crotch length or longer. This requirement may be waived only if the rest of the costume (pants, boots, etc.) is of exceptional quality and appearance.

1.3.2 - Medieval-style (baggy) pants, kilt, skirt, etc.

1.3.3 - Medieval-style footwear (moccasins, boots that are not blatantly non-medieval in style, earth-tone shoes with leggings, etc.).

1.4 - Forbidden Garments, Patterns/Logos, and Equipment - the intent of this rule is to maintain an appearance appropriate to a fantasy/medieval setting at Dagorhir events, and to ensure that players are not carrying real weapons onto the battlefield.

1.4.1 - Forbidden garments include but are not limited to: blue jeans, white shoes, camoflage patterns such as military fatigues, visible T-shirts or other obviously modern clothing, and modern hats.

1.4.2 - Real swords or knives (even in sheaths or cases) may not be worn or carried during Dagorhir combat.

1.4.3 - Weapons, shields, garb, and armor may not have clearly mundane logos or prints, nor may be made with fluorescent/neon colors.

1.4.4 - Cleats, spikes or any other shoe that can break or pierce a bare foot are not permitted on the battlefield.

Here are a few things that you, as a chapter or unit leader, can do to help:
1. Include in any event advertising that Minimum Garb is required (so people don't show up claiming they didn't know.)
2. Encourage the handing-down of used garb within your unit.
3. Back up any herald or event organizer that asks one of your players to leave the field to get proper garb.
4. Have unitmates look over one another's garb, asking the question "would this look out of place in a medieval fantasy movie?" If the answer is yes, brainstorm ways to eliminate or replace.

Whisper Monsoon, a longtime player of Dagorhir, recently shared with us an anecdote from his earlier days in the game.
"I remember in the old days, wondering how a super-nice guy like Aratar could be so hard-assed about turning people away who weren't in garb. I remember asking either him or one of the other nice guys running the events about that, and they said "It's not me. It's the rules. You speak as the rules. You can't speak as yourself, 'cuz then you'll want to start making exceptions. If you make exceptions, then the rule falls apart and everyone ends up fighting in jeans and t-shirts."

Nobody wants to turn an eager fighter away at an event for not having garb. If we can all work together to make sure that the rules are being followed, and that our players have what they need, nobody will have to. Can Dagorhir count on you?

Please pass this along to any unit leaders, head heralds, or anyone else in your realm that may be interested. The more people we have on the same page, the better we all look!

-Stellaria
Eryndor, Free Cities

For more information about the garb enforcement initiative, please see these threads on the National boards:
http://www.dagorhir.com/forums/index.php?topic=20715.0

http://www.dagorhir.com/forums/index.php?topic=21032.0
Back to top Go down
Hxctemplar

Hxctemplar

PostSubject: Re: Dagorhir Garb Initiative   Dagorhir Garb Initiative I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 9:35 pm

I read and have been following that thread/letter since Sterellia (sp) posted it last week I believe. I think it's a great thing that she wants to send it out to every chapter Razz it's a pretty crazy thread
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Dagorhir Garb Initiative   Dagorhir Garb Initiative I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 11:08 pm

We should definitely encourage more of our newbies to get garb shirts and pants, rather than cutting up a dress shirt or something... $15 and you can get a good little tunic like mine or something more fancy.
Back to top Go down
Sarabi

Sarabi

PostSubject: Re: Dagorhir Garb Initiative   Dagorhir Garb Initiative I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 8:11 pm

yep. i don't wear garb often mostly cause i don't have much but... i totally agree... ever since we've been taking pictures for combatcon we've been doing pretty good but i hope it lasts till after and hope that we can look even better later on you know grow!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1336161982
Convel

Convel

PostSubject: Re: Dagorhir Garb Initiative   Dagorhir Garb Initiative I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 8:17 pm

besides, garb is way more comfortable to fight in than mundane clothes
Back to top Go down
Alacian

Alacian

PostSubject: Re: Dagorhir Garb Initiative   Dagorhir Garb Initiative I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 9:13 pm

Just like scrubs....going to work in your pajamas....It's awesome.
Back to top Go down
Smithy
Admin
Smithy

PostSubject: Re: Dagorhir Garb Initiative   Dagorhir Garb Initiative I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 11:07 pm

Methinks this should be the focus for further endeavors for a while. At least for me anyway.
Cool
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Dagorhir Garb Initiative   Dagorhir Garb Initiative I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 11:57 pm

We could have a garb build day again? Very Happy a gathering of sewing machines and trips to Joanns? Demie is probably going to start Heretic's outfit soon I'd imagine, would be fun!
Back to top Go down
Sarabi

Sarabi

PostSubject: Re: Dagorhir Garb Initiative   Dagorhir Garb Initiative I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2011 11:58 pm

Convel wrote:
besides, garb is way more comfortable to fight in than mundane clothes

AGREED!!!!

** kitty is going to start going the caretaker way anyway... nothing but pajama pants and garb pants YEAH.. it's always it's own advertisement when we look good in this sport we don't just fight but theres a creative side too and watching people come up with different things is awesome.. like smithy's leather tench thing he maid and alyssa's awesome garb pants black lion tabbards templar and konradr's warwolf garb it just looks awesome! if we think we look good they (( those who are interested )) will think we look good... black lions we tell them no garb they don't fight and they have garb every practice i'm so proud of them! ♥
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1336161982
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Dagorhir Garb Initiative   Dagorhir Garb Initiative I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 10:02 pm

Necro'd.
Back to top Go down
Berserker Grek

Berserker Grek

PostSubject: Re: Dagorhir Garb Initiative   Dagorhir Garb Initiative I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 3:44 am

A FIELD FULL OF GARBED OUT DUDES BASHING EACH OTHER GAINS MORE MEMBERS THAN A BUNCH OF KIDS IN JEANS SWINGING SHIT.

DO IT FOR THE REALM

DO IT FOR MORE PEOPLE

DO IT OR ELSE >:C
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Dagorhir Garb Initiative   Dagorhir Garb Initiative I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 10:08 pm

The garb rules in the MoA have been updated since this was posted:

1.3 - All participants are required to wear a costume ("garb") that meets or preferably exceeds minimum Dagorhir requirements as seen below. The intent of this rule is to maintain a non-obtrusive appearance appropriate to a fantasy/medieval setting at Dagorhir events. Garb is required on the battle field and is strongly encouraged when in public areas. How a player dresses while in a private camp is not regulated by these rules; however garb at all times is strongly encouraged. The event staff reserves the right to make certain areas, functions, gatherings, or the entire event garb required. Proper garb not only benefits the player, but enhances the experience of other players and improves the overall atmosphere of the event.

• 1.3.1 - A tunic, shirt, dress, or vest of crotch length or longer. Bare chest is acceptable if allowed by law and or camp/event rules, but only if the rest of the costume meets or exceeds minimum garb standards. Clarification: Obviously modern clothing such as sweat-pants, pajama pants, modern skirts, etc is not acceptable.

• 1.3.2 – Non-obtrusive pants, kilt, skirt, leggings, or similar leg ware. Bare legs are acceptable.

• 1.3.3 – Non-obtrusive footwear (moccasins, earth-tone shoes, boots, sandals, etc.). Bare feet are acceptable if allowed by the event rules.

1.4 - Forbidden Garments, Patterns/Logos, and Equipment: The intent of this rule is to limit the amount of obviously modern looking items at the event. It is sometimes possible to wear modern clothing in a way (by modification or concealment for example) that it is not considered forbidden. A herald or member of the event staff will make final decisions on this.

• 1.4.1 - Forbidden garments include but are not limited to: blue jeans, white shoes, camouflage patterns such as military fatigues, visible T-shirts or other obviously modern clothing, and modern hats.

• 1.4.2 - Real swords, knives, or weapons of any sort (even in sheaths or cases) may not be worn or carried during Dagorhir combat.

• 1.4.3 - Weapons, shields, garb, and armor may not have clearly mundane logos or prints, nor may be made with fluorescent/neon colors.

• 1.4.4 - Cleats and spikes are not permitted on the battlefield.

• 1.4.5 – The event staff reserves the right to allow certain forbidden garments to accommodate special needs, because of weather conditions, etc. These exceptions will be made on a case by case basis. Players are encouraged to overcome this with proper garb when it is possible.

1.5 - If non-Dagorhir spectators, parental guardians, service staff, or similar bystanders are present at an event, the event staff determines if they are required to wear garb. This is handled on a case by case basis.

With the event season coming up guys, take a look at your unit-mates wearing tabbards over their teeshirts and sweatpants! What can we do to make everyone look badass?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dagorhir Garb Initiative   Dagorhir Garb Initiative I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dagorhir Garb Initiative
Page 1 of 1