Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

Possible practice site relocation...

Go down 
+6
nightmare92
Strider
Isk
Knubbs
Surt
konradr
10 posters
AuthorMessage
konradr

konradr

Possible practice site relocation... Empty
PostSubject: Possible practice site relocation...   Possible practice site relocation... I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 7:05 am

The heat and the lack of shade is a problem at Desert Breeze park. It's a nice park, big and at certain times of the year is packed with people. That's great. Right now its not packed with people because its hot and the tree's are not thick enough and are all too immature for enough shade.

I think we should relocate to a different park. Three parks come to mind as possiblilties but I'm sure there are a few others. We need to look at older parks because they will have the large, older tree's with more shade. I have lived here all my life and several parks are here that haven't changed a whole lot then.

The parks on the top of my head are 1. Lorenzi, 2. Floyd lamb state park and 3. Sunset park. There might be one or two large older parks in the downtown henderson area but I'm not familiar with them.

1. Lorenzi park is old and big with lots of large tree's. I know it has large open area's too. The SCA pracitces there on Sunday mornings and afternoons. It's not as big as the other two, is suppose to be having some renovations done, and might be a little crowded, I'm not sure.

2. Floyd lamb state park is now adminstered by the city of las vegas. It's large but I haven't been there since I was a kid. I know that it has a lake or ponds and large tree's and alot of open area's too. I would have to take a look to see if there were shaded area's to fight in. Biggest issue with this park is that you have to pay a fee of $5.00 per vehicle to enter the park.

3. Sunset park. This is my choice. It is a large park, with easy access and lots of room. Some area's are very open and some are tree studded with older growth tree's and lots of shade. At least two other groups use this park. the Empire of Chivalry and Steel practices on Wednesday nights at one of two locations. One Sunday I personally saw a LARP group (nero?)of about 20+ individual's in leather armor with latex weapons, using the more shaded northern part of the park (along Eastern). This is an area we might be interested in. Lots of tree's spaced good enough for melee's with open area's further up or down if needed.

Sunset park is also busy but there is usually plenty of room for our group. Any practices we held, especially if along the northern side by Eastern and Sunset, should be highly visible from both park patron's and vehicle passerby's.

Pro's and Con's to a move. I'm sure you can think of some to add.

Pro's: More shade, More tree's for building fort's with rope, etc (ala aggelgorod's practices) lots of visibility to generate interest, easy access from major road's and the 215 (off sunset road) from all parts of the city. Free, public place. Home of the Renaissance faire in October.

Con's: I believe Desert Breeze park has been the home for our group's practices since its inception in what 2005, so there's tradition. However, we can offset that by getting those flyer's printed and posted in game shops, hobby stores and on campus with the new location. I know alot of people who practice with us live near Desert Breeze park. Some do not own a car or are even old enough to drive. Transportation is an issue. Here's where it comes down to 'core' player's and 'fringe' players.

Core players are those who are dedicated enough to try to be at every practice, who try to make weapon's, who try to get garb, who want to live Dagorhir. Fringe players come and go whenever they feel like it and don't make an attempt to characterize, to create weapons or garb. We need to identify those core players as our Realmmates and do what we can to get them transportation to and from practice. If a friend or parent can't give them a lift then maybe those of us with the means can divy them up amongst us and transport them. We need to look after our own. Fringe players are still welcome, but they should not be a priority unless they show the same willingness and dedication as core players.

As a group we should discuss this, maybe call an "althing' in which the populace may cast a vote, maybe a written ballot or something, but the final decision, based on what all other's input, would be with the Tribunal, and especially, Surt.

Next year, in April, we will be hosting Aggelgorod and any other's who decide to join in, here for two days of fighting. We need banner's, and we need shade and a nice field to accomodate the mayhem. We need to learn how to herald and to do weapon's checks. We need to start insisting on Garb or have plenty of loaner stuff by April so we can dress to impress. Might be best to start with a location change as soon as possible as the heat won't dissipitate until October, y'all.

We need to choose a time that we are all comfortable with. If 10:00 am is it then we should make it the permanant time, or leave it at 12pm.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Surt

Surt

PostSubject: Re: Possible practice site relocation...   Possible practice site relocation... I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 9:06 pm

i'm going to put a lot of thought into this.
Back to top Go down
https://baraddun.forumotion.net
Knubbs

Knubbs

PostSubject: Re: Possible practice site relocation...   Possible practice site relocation... I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 10:39 pm

I know the exact spot they play at in sunset park and summer time isnt that bad but no matter were we go its going to be hot.

If possible we should find out were people live and map out to see which parks are near who and find the best spot.

Big parks would be best but unless we leave the city its going to be hot. I would shoot out that idea but itd be hard to get everyone out there

without a dedicated transport of some kind.
Back to top Go down
Isk

Isk

PostSubject: Re: Possible practice site relocation...   Possible practice site relocation... I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 23, 2009 11:26 pm

Konrad, for the event (Fool's Raid, right?) I would bet folks from Aggelgorod would be willing to help with weapons check, I would certainly be willing to help and I am very familiar with both sets of rules.
Back to top Go down
http://www.antirdearg.com
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: Possible practice site relocation...   Possible practice site relocation... I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 5:48 am

Thanks for the offer Isk, hope you and your boys will come down in April too. A siege isn't a siege unless we're getting it from both sides, er, so to speak.
Back to top Go down
Strider

Strider

Location : Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: lolololololololololol roflcopterswaswaswa

PostSubject: Re: Possible practice site relocation...   Possible practice site relocation... I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 10:02 am

Lol, well if a word cant be used to mean two things, then whats the point in having that word right?
Back to top Go down
nightmare92

nightmare92

PostSubject: Re: Possible practice site relocation...   Possible practice site relocation... I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 1:20 am

in regard to the relocation of practice, hey if you choose a different park and its not close to me, rilith or mordock then we wont be able to make alot of practices maybe a couple if were lucky im just saying that itll be really hard for us to make it, to parks putting into consideration that none of us can drive so yeah just putting that out there
Back to top Go down
Kilanos

Kilanos

PostSubject: Re: Possible practice site relocation...   Possible practice site relocation... I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 2:50 am

Nightmare, we did talk about that issue at practice and if that was the case then some of us may be able to give you guys a ride.

For those that weren't there, the idea of alternating practice locations was brought up. The idea was alternating each week between Desert Breeze and say Sunset, or perhaps doing a Sunset practice once a month. The problem that was brought up with the once a month practices arises when/if we start to do a flyer campaign for new members then they wouldn't know where we would be, however, if we alternate regularly then we could just post that we fight at DB every other weekend and tell them about the other park when they show up for practice. Either way, no changes will be made until Surt either gets back in town or lets us know what he would like to happen.
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: Possible practice site relocation...   Possible practice site relocation... I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 5:24 am

Nightmare I consider you, rilith and mordock as core fighters and we would find a way to get you to and from any distant practice if we go to such a move. There's lots of people hanging out at sunset park so its good visibility and easy access to and from. Plus there's lots of tree's and open area's which gives us more 'terrain' type for different battle games, etc. We would have to consider Desert Breeze as our home field. It too has lots of people during sport season's and nice open terrain plus right now I would say the majority of our core players live close to it. As far as transportation, we are willing to talk to your parents to get permission to transport you guys if that's whats needed, and that includes any trips we plan to aggelgorod or St. George.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Aleksander Piotrowski

Aleksander Piotrowski

PostSubject: Re: Possible practice site relocation...   Possible practice site relocation... I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 6:25 am

Like Nightmare, I will have some problems going to Sunset Park. I have fencing on Saturday so unless if someone is willing to be late just to pick me up, I would probably be missing some practices if this relocation goes through.

Though, hopefully I will be getting my licence soon so I might be able to start driving myself.... hopefully.

Well, that's my situation.
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: Possible practice site relocation...   Possible practice site relocation... I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 6:08 pm

Nothing set in stone yet Alex, just a topic we're discussing, but should it come to pass, we will figure a way to transport you guys to and fro. But when you get your license, just let us know so we can get off the road! hehehe
Back to top Go down
barrikaide

PostSubject: Re: Possible practice site relocation...   Possible practice site relocation... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 6:08 pm

sounds like we might as well keep it at desert breeze.
Back to top Go down
Surt

Surt

PostSubject: Re: Possible practice site relocation...   Possible practice site relocation... I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 5:52 pm

i think barrikaide is right. sunset park is a much bigger and nicer park but its not worth losing players for. maybe in the future when we have a lot more players with more options to help with rides. it'll just have to be a goal we put on the back burner for awhile.
Back to top Go down
https://baraddun.forumotion.net
Oddvar

Oddvar

PostSubject: Re: Possible practice site relocation...   Possible practice site relocation... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 6:02 am

Well, no matter where practice is held I will try to always be there. I awoke one fine morning with the realization that I have been locked away and Oddvar holds the keys...........
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possible practice site relocation...   Possible practice site relocation... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Possible practice site relocation...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Barad'Dun The Western Tower :: Chapter News-
Jump to: