Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

CLARIFICATION NEEDED

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Alacian

Alacian

CLARIFICATION NEEDED Empty
PostSubject: CLARIFICATION NEEDED   CLARIFICATION NEEDED I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 3:50 pm

Alright. Strider has been a lot of help, but there's something I needed clarified.

About characters. He told me that you don't need a character unless you're part of the Royal Army. But he said you can make one if you feel like it. Now, flipping through the old posts and what Surt posted about Barad'Dun and characters and middle-earth, it basically says to make one.

I need to know which it is. I honestly don't know and could use some help. Can someone better explain what this means? What I've basically gathered so far is that on Saturday we're sparring. There's people coming down from Utah as well to spar.

I was told not to worry about weaponry or garb yet and that when I get there someone will explain the basics of rules and so forth as well as let us use loaner weapons while we practice on Saturday. I think it sounds great. But I needed the character part clarified.

Cheers

~ Alacian
Back to top Go down
Kilanos

Kilanos

PostSubject: Re: CLARIFICATION NEEDED   CLARIFICATION NEEDED I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 5:00 pm

Strider was correct. Most people with us have not started working on their character beyond a general look/feel of who they want to be. We are shooting to have everyone create a character at some point but it is not something that has been a major issue. The only real requirement for characterization we have as a realm is if you would like to apply to join the royal army you have to have a rough outline of your character before doing so. As of right now we are mainly looking to have each person come up with a character name so we know who to curse when they kill us over and over. We are very laid back and the only rule we make sure everyone is following at all times is to have fun.
Back to top Go down
Alacian

Alacian

PostSubject: Re: CLARIFICATION NEEDED   CLARIFICATION NEEDED I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 5:30 pm

Got it, doll. I wasn't quite sure and was hoping for some clarification. You've been a lot of help. *peeks at my name*...I suppose that one's doable. I'd normally go with my internet handle of Malyce or Nexias. But I'll probably stick with this. *nods*

I'll start working on a character and not make it *to* long.

I think the last character background I wrote for anything was four pages long....they told me it was to detailed and to make it shorter. >_>
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: CLARIFICATION NEEDED   CLARIFICATION NEEDED I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 5:34 pm

Surt, Kurn and D'edra along with Heretic were the one's who got the Realm started. Between them they had like 30 year's of expierience in Dagorhir. They created the Realm and the Concept of the Royal Army. Just as things started to congeal we took a summer hit. Surt lost his job then left for the summer vowing to return in september. Kurn and D'edra lost their jobs and moved to Tennessee. Heretic got a job and we haven't seen him much since. The rest of us have been doing this for about 6 months now. So the roleplay and Character stuff isn't set in stone with us. We've been doing the sparring thing. Everything else is pretty much on the backburner until Surt comes back to teach us more about all that.

My background is all Medieval and Ancient History. I once played with the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) which is based on true history to a degree. I don't know much about Lord of the Rings though my participation in this group has led me to rewatch the movies and to listen to the audiobooks by JRR Tolkien (the Hobbit and all 3 LOTR books). (I listen while I drive and I drive for a living so that's 8 hours of listening enjoyment) When I was a kid I wargamed with my buddies and dabbled in D n D or the steve jackson stuff. I read Conan. Grown up, I did fencing, I did paintball and I did SCA. The SCA can be serious, Dag is just plain fun!

My wife says I only seem to be happy on Saturday's when I go and come from Dag practices. She's watched me fight in the SCA and in Dagorhir and says the SCA is boring to watch, but The Dag guys are just plain nuts and fun to watch.

As I was saying. The Realm is new. We have Realm's in California and Arizona that have been around for years and years and they have alot of expierience not only with fighting and running events, but with the characterizations, roleplay and stuff like that. We have a Barad'dun Codex which was being worked on by Surt and Kurn. When I get some more paper for my printer I will run you off a copy or I will scan it and post it online. It explains more about Barad'dun and the Royal armey, the ranks, etc.

Kurn made me an officer to take his place when he left, but I really don't know anything about the standards they were setting up, about the characterizations or roleplay. I like to fight. Kilanos and Oddvar are my left and right hands, (thank god) and between the three of us we are keeping things running. Any questions you have, one of us should be able to help. When Surt come's back, we will start learning about the heart of Barad'dun.

We are not a live version of D n D. That would probably be NERO. There is a large nero group here in Vegas. You would want to talk to (in person or email) our own Knubbs. He participates in both NERO and Dagorhir and other Roleplaying activities. We are a medievalist combat sport that uses LOTR for flavour. You can be an Orc, you can be an Elf, or any other race in the LOTR, medieval fantasy or Historical universe. We do not use magic in our combat but we may hunt for gold. We do not have wizards, but we have games that involve Zombies, Vampires and oh, yes, Goblins!

Lately our practices have been family affairs. We have alot of fighters bringing their little brother's, nieces and nephews to practice. That might be discouraged at times depending on the situation. For example this weekend getting a large number of fighters traveling in from another realm. A Belegarth realm at that. But we will see. It really is about having fun, and excercise. We play 'battle' games which are challenging, and fun. That's the name of the game.

For now, all you need to bring to practice is your desire to participate. Don't worry about anything else until later. We'll let Strider teach you the basics of the game and then just jump in.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: CLARIFICATION NEEDED   CLARIFICATION NEEDED I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 5:35 pm

Make as long a characther sheet as you want. I like to write too. I was/am going to make my a short story or novella about Konradr adventures to rescue his kids from evil Goblins and his eventual arrival in Barad'dun.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Alacian

Alacian

PostSubject: Re: CLARIFICATION NEEDED   CLARIFICATION NEEDED I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 6:03 pm

Well I'm certainly looking forward to joining your group, hun. From what I've heard and seen from just the boards themselves, I think you're doing rather well. If you need any help on summarizing things or assisting with research for Tolkien's creatures and so forth, I can do that. God knows I've done my fair share of research since the online game I host is Victorian-era and we re-wrote the history after having to look it all up on the Queen and so forth. We had to re-write and to do that we had to look up *everything* that happened with the assassination attempts, her children, and so in and so forth.

I don't have a problem doing my homework for it. I don't do *video* games. But I do role-play and have done so online as well as in the medieval era considering I've a short book from that period online that was compiled for the care of weaponry. I used to do the role of a blacksmith even, though now today I'd need to brush up on it. Yes, I know it's foam weapons. It's why I'm just sharing past experience even if it was online. I believe I even have a few on the art of fighting.

This will be a new experience for me. But I'm willing to try and willing to learn if you and the lot of your Chapter are willing to have me and mine. I might not be properly garbed or my own weaponry this time around, but I *will* be there and by the next time I come I will have made my own weapons and see about the proper garb.

I'm sorry to hear about the misfortunes of some in your group. I do hope that things pick up for all of them. Right now the economy is hard nation wide. They'll be in prayers.

I'm positive you're doing a fine job at running the Chapter. If you *do* need anything research and organizing wise. I'll help you out. Yes, Yes. I'm young. But I've ran/run online games and do know how to set up forums and research and organize notes for you and the Chapter if you need it or want it.

I'll be happy to learn from Strider when I get there.

Side note - In response to your next post. My thanks for the encouragement on writing. I love to write. It's a hobby of mine and it helps with the creativity process. It's also one reason I'm looking forward to the combat and so on for Dag. It will be fun.

Another note - As far as characters go. If you want to talk while I'm there I can tell you a little about how Jon's group is set up down in MA. At least the basics if y'all are wanting to try and hash anything out character/ story, etc wise. Just an offer if you want it. I understand that you're waiting though for September. So, no problem if you don't.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CLARIFICATION NEEDED   CLARIFICATION NEEDED I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CLARIFICATION NEEDED
Page 1 of 1