Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

Share | 

I totally just registered under 'Sylar'

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:28 pm

Sylar wrote:

And I would account the majority of faceshots to your size. When I'm against someone who's taller, I couldn't reach their faces if I tried. It'll just take some time for me to, like I said, hit lower against people who are shorter or have stances that put them closer to the ground.

I'm the second tallest person on the field. Wink That's not a good excuse bro.

You'll learn better form the more you fight and come out to practices. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Sarabi

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:34 am

COME TO TOMORROWS PRACTICE!
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1336161982
Sylar

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:00 am

Quote :
CIRCLE OF STRENGTH: Fighting requirements to attain rank as follows:
FIRST: Dagger only fight, best 2 of 3 versus an opponent of Corsair rank or higher.
SECOND: Dagger only fight, best 2 of 3, plus preferred kit fight. Challenger must land 10
strikes
versus opponent one rank above them.
THIRD: Same as Second.
FOURTH: Same as Second, but the Tribunal will choose the Opponent.
I don't get the parts in bold. Explain, plz?
Quote :
CIRCLE OF TIME: Terms of service for each rank as follows:
FIRST: 6 months of active membership.
SECOND, THIRD, & FOURTH: 3 months each, of active membership in good standing.
That seems like a LONG time to be nothing more than an initiative...
Back to top Go down
Prysm Stormfallen

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:58 am

Well - thats for the Royal Army. If you dont like the rules, serve with another unit. Its simple really. Nobody makes you go to any particular unit so you find one you like and can abide by the rules.
Back to top Go down
Sylar

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:04 am

I understand that much. What I don't understand is the second challenge past 'dagger only fight, best 2/3'.
Quote :
SWORD MASTER

Single blue sword.

CHALLENGES:

1st: Defeat 2 opponents armed single blue only with no armor.
Also, are either you or your opponent allowed to use the second opponent's blue sword (florentine) after he dies? Or is it strictly 'single blue sword' at all times?
Back to top Go down
Smithy
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:23 am

Sylar wrote:
Quote :
CIRCLE OF STRENGTH: Fighting requirements to attain rank as follows:
FIRST: Dagger only fight, best 2 of 3 versus an opponent of Corsair rank or higher.
SECOND: Dagger only fight, best 2 of 3, plus preferred kit fight. Challenger must land 10
strikes
versus opponent one rank above them.
THIRD: Same as Second.
FOURTH: Same as Second, but the Tribunal will choose the Opponent.
I don't get the parts in bold. Explain, plz?
Quote :
CIRCLE OF TIME: Terms of service for each rank as follows:
FIRST: 6 months of active membership.
SECOND, THIRD, & FOURTH: 3 months each, of active membership in good standing.
That seems like a LONG time to be nothing more than an initiative...

I belive I can answer that. Your "kit" is the weapon or weapons you first learn to use. It's totally your choice on what your kits will be. I for instance have three kits currently in archery, axe and shield, and florentine. While I'm proficient with all the weapons on the field I prefer those three.

The line about landing 10 strikes I believe has recently been changed, and even in it's orginal edition it was meant for you the tested, to show the leadership your skill and confidence with your kit to the point they had no reservations, or rather doubt, that you had put forth the effort as to be worthy of attaining the next rank.

The length of time isn't all that long actually. At about six months you will have an effective working knowledge of the rules and be able to immediately implement them. Take for example a leg hit. When you first try to drop onto one knee after it's been hit you will take longer than you would after six months of practcing. The six month mark was also meant to prove dedication as well.

The 2 sword question I would personally call this way. If I faced 2 opponents armed with single blue each with myself being armed the same and I killed one? Looks like I'm going florentine on the other guy provided he lets me pick up the weapon. BTW the last part isn't very likely.

Cool
Back to top Go down
Sylar

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:29 am

See, I thought the same thing. Only, it was a 'single blue' challenge, so I don't know if it's legal or not. And I kind of wonder if it's ever been done before. And yeah, I understand the length of membership, but an entire year and a half seems like a lot for someone who's only been to one practice. I definitely understand, though. I'm slow when it comes to killing even, I'll stop and ask 'was that a torso shot?' rather than continuing.
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:18 am

Well you should never assume you hit someone, it's their job as an honorable fighter to determine.

A year and a half isn't long, I've been with this group a year and a half, seems shorter. I was borderline non-com and archery for a while, and heralded most of the time. Done with that for a while, focusing on myself and my unit more. Smile You'll get there, Dag isn't the same for everyone. Just have fun and keep changing it up every once in a while.
Back to top Go down
Strider

Location : Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: lolololololololololol roflcopterswaswaswa

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:42 pm

Sylar wrote:
See, I thought the same thing. Only, it was a 'single blue' challenge, so I don't know if it's legal or not. And I kind of wonder if it's ever been done before. And yeah, I understand the length of membership, but an entire year and a half seems like a lot for someone who's only been to one practice. I definitely understand, though. I'm slow when it comes to killing even, I'll stop and ask 'was that a torso shot?' rather than continuing.

The best thing to do is come out and fight and talk about it in person. It's a whole different game on the field.
Back to top Go down
konradr

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:35 am

Single blue challenge means the test is you with 'single blue' so no, you could not pick up the dead man's weapon and use it florentine. You are not testing yourself single blue.

Any other fight, do it.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Sylar

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:42 pm

See, that's what I was thinking. So it's safe to assume the second opponent couldn't pick up his fallen ally's weapon, either?
Back to top Go down
Sylar

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:04 am

What happens when you are hit with a blade? Example: you somehow lose your grip, can you catch it anywhere other than the hilt.
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:28 am

You can touch your blade without taking damage, however in grapple if someone else touches your weapon while you are in control of it (holding the hilt or handle) they lose that limb.

Half-swording, as it is called, is allowed in Dag. It's the style of placing your hand halfway up your sword to throw a shot or maneuver the weapon. This is popular in red sword or long blue sword users. If your weapon is hit, and your hand is on it, it may be counted as anvil-ing.
Back to top Go down
Sylar

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:26 am

I was told that if someone struck your blade into your chest, you would take the damage.
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:30 am

That's true, your question was "catching" or grabbing your weapon tho. If someone hits you with a red and the sword hits you hard enough (not light) then you should take it, but most people won't call you out on it unless it was blatant.
Back to top Go down
Sylar

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:41 pm

How did Surt die? Not Joseph, but Surt, the character. Did he just venture off into unknown lands or something?
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:41 pm

Ummm no one's really gone there since he was murdered almost a year ago.... I don't think anyone really cares about what happened to his character, as far as I am concerned when a person dies IRL, so do their personas. Their legacy lives on in their comrades. Both in Dagorhir and real life.
Back to top Go down
Sarabi

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:52 pm

TT_TT that's a touchy subject for even me to think about.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1336161982
Sylar

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:14 am

Sorry for bringing it up. Another question though, is it considered anvilling if you're hit while using half-sword with a sword that's only one-sided?
Back to top Go down
Reverend

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:01 pm

Sylar wrote:
Sorry for bringing it up. Another question though, is it considered anvilling if you're hit while using half-sword with a sword that's only one-sided?

Hand on your weapon counts as part of the weapon. So, if you are half-swording and get hit in the hand, you call out "Hand" and keep fighting.

If you are hit in some other manner, such as it would confer the advantage of unbreakable armor (eg: You lay the sword along your forearm and take the blow there), then it would be anviling and you should take the hit.
Back to top Go down
Sylar

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:40 am

Reverend wrote:
Hand on your weapon counts as part of the weapon. So, if you are half-swording and get hit in the hand, you call out "Hand" and keep fighting.
That's not what everyone else says. They're saying it counts as anvilling unless it's on a hilt, or those parts on a mace just before the striking surface.

Also, when using fiberglass cores, do you double up? If so, which side of the doubled cores become the striking surface? The end, or the flat?
Back to top Go down
konradr

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:45 am

The ends. The flat is for the Flat of the blade.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:35 am

You should bring it up next week and I'll demonstrate what is legal/illegal. It's really hard to explain on the boards, what you are referring to Sylar is half-swording, and is legal.
Back to top Go down
Sylar

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:28 am

I was told half-swording was legal UNLESS your hand was on the blade WHILE it struck, or was struck. At the same time, I'm pretty sure Knubbs had a black blade that I loved using, where the tape would crawl up the back of the blade, signifying where it was legal to be held. In other words, the blade edge was longer on the front than the back.
Back to top Go down
Prysm Stormfallen

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:02 am

What part of 'You should bring it up next week and I'll demonstrate what is legal/illegal. It's really hard to explain on the boards, what you are referring to Sylar is half-swording, and is legal.' did you not understand?

It is true - asking questions in person means less misunderstandings, more knowledge imparted, and comprehension achieved. You ask the same question over and over and have many people answer - if it makes no sense after several people answer on the boards, ask in person - dont keep on asking on here else people will start to get annoyed at the fact that you are not listening.

There are many people who can help but there is obviously a miscommunication somewhere between you and us - just explain in person and it may make sense.
You are still exceedingly new to the game (so am I for that matter but I ask in person because then if I dont understand the answer I can clarify what is said with what I thought they meant - often two totally different things) and that means anyone here would be happy to help. Just approach a vet at practice and ask - you can even demonstrate (and if you see the sword you are talking about, ask if you can borrow for 5 mins for clarification purpose) what you mean and get a whole host of questions answered in a way that makes sense to you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   

Back to top Go down

I totally just registered under 'Sylar'
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next