Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

Blue Chicken...

Go down 
+8
Sarabi
kraiken
barrikaide
Grek
Scrios
Demie Zephyra
konradr
Phoxly
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Phoxly

Phoxly

Blue Chicken... Empty
PostSubject: Blue Chicken...   Blue Chicken... I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 6:48 pm

Why are we dying the chicken blue? I know an event is supposed to be headed by one person who generally decides what happens and all that jazz at an event, but I'm just curious why the chicken is being dyed blue. I'm allergic to some types of food dye (Easter, 2002 No) , and not all food dye is meant to be cooked... this just seems like a very weird/bad/distasteful idea.

Maybe someone can clue me in, maybe there is a theme to the event I missed?

Also maybe next year we can make a forum for discussion of the event, cause atm most of the realm only knows about the event based on what has been posted on our website... which is an event of OPEN FIELD BATTLES. We have many people in the realm who could (or actually did try) to promote/aid the event. I'm a web designer, I could update the weebly site with the schedule in 15 minutes... Just sayin for future reference...
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Blue Chicken... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Chicken...   Blue Chicken... I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 7:08 pm

First I've heard of it.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Demie Zephyra

Demie Zephyra

Blue Chicken... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Chicken...   Blue Chicken... I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 9:04 pm

Ew. Blue? That's so unappetizing....
Back to top Go down
Scrios

Scrios

Blue Chicken... Empty
PostSubject: ...   Blue Chicken... I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 9:22 pm

I didn't even know we were dying it blue until now. It sounds wierd >.>
Back to top Go down
Grek

Grek

Blue Chicken... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Chicken...   Blue Chicken... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 12:02 am

There's going to be a chicken???
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=647767959
barrikaide

Blue Chicken... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Chicken...   Blue Chicken... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 12:39 am

people dont like having to share the credit Phoxly so god forbid they have people help. willingly....

Also blue chicken? HAHAHA WTF

You guys that are "running" this thing really need to learn from Forkbeard.
Back to top Go down
kraiken

kraiken

Blue Chicken... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Chicken...   Blue Chicken... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 5:23 am

The chicken is a normaly cooked, good tasting chicken. The only difference is... it has a slight blue color to it. I asked about it at the RA practice today, and was told the food coloring is safe! And we also read over Forkbeard's steps, and Knubbs actualy had all that taken-care-of before it was posted.
Back to top Go down
Sarabi

Sarabi

Blue Chicken... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Chicken...   Blue Chicken... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 5:47 am

is the feast still a seperate fee?. and i heard from someone that i'm suppose to have feast garb. do i need to have feast garb?. i don't really understand the blue color either honestly i don't see the point but i'm also allergic to food coloring. chicken is always delicious.. but i can't eat it if there is any food coloring in it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1336161982
kraiken

kraiken

Blue Chicken... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Chicken...   Blue Chicken... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 5:56 am

From what i heard today, i think you have to sign up, youl want to ask Knubbs about that. And the food coloring in the chicken is ALL FOR FUN! Fun should be a good enough reason Very Happy Very Happy Im not sure about the feasting garb ethier.
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

Blue Chicken... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Chicken...   Blue Chicken... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 5:58 am

I've been answering PM's and questions on the Belegarth boards with information that should be posted on the weebly King's Tourney site. We need the schedule updated and at least post details about the site... I mean now it's a little late, I'm sure those who are going to go to the event are already planning on going regardless of details like that, but in the future we should get that info updated.
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

Blue Chicken... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Chicken...   Blue Chicken... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 6:00 am

Feast Attire is usually "better than fighting" garb. Like a cloak, or nicer tunic. Usually your fighting garb is fine for the feast, especially if you are new-er.
Back to top Go down
Sarabi

Sarabi

Blue Chicken... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Chicken...   Blue Chicken... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 6:00 am

kraiken wrote:
. And the food coloring in the chicken is ALL FOR FUN! Fun should be a good enough reason Very Happy Very Happy

you go have fun i rather not be sick i'll make my own feast!. juss sayin not gonna make myself sick for your guys fun lol. fine by me.. less money to spend >.<
Back to top Go down
Sarabi

Sarabi

Blue Chicken... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Chicken...   Blue Chicken... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 6:02 am

i don't have feast garb i don't want someone throwing me out for not having any.
Back to top Go down
Demie Zephyra

Demie Zephyra

Blue Chicken... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Chicken...   Blue Chicken... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 6:24 am

But why blue? Blue is scientifically proven to be an unappetizing color, as no food is naturally blue.

Couldn't it be a more appealing color?
Back to top Go down
Scrios

Scrios

Blue Chicken... Empty
PostSubject: ..   Blue Chicken... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 6:27 am

For next year's event we should also make a thread or a subforum to let everyone know about what's going on for the event so none of our confused or don't know everything we need to know or should know. That way everyone is informed and not just waiting till practice or the last minute to be told everything >.>
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Blue Chicken... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Chicken...   Blue Chicken... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 6:45 am

Will it look like this?

Blue Chicken... Food-whiterice-big

or this?

Blue Chicken... Blue111

or this?

Blue Chicken... 514-4

Jk, Jk, Jk.
Back to top Go down
Smithy
Admin
Smithy

Blue Chicken... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Chicken...   Blue Chicken... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 6:54 am

Okay!! Here's the answer to why the chicken is blue. I wanted to present something that was different "looking" but still tasted like something that was known. It was a chance to separate from the norm. For a little while I was contemplating on making authentic medieval foods and having some serious fun with it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4HFu_bkUak But what stopped me was some of the complexity involved and making it for so many, even a small dish wasn't cost effective. Think about it, what would life in the far southern deserts be like in a world of fantasy? What would the food be like? What could I use to create a food that looked different, was easy to cook, but still had the taste of the real world? Ergo, chicken. The way it is made blue is by marinading it with a curacao, which for those of you who don't know is an orange liqueur, and the one I'm using has a blue colouring. Add to that whole cloves (the spice kind) and crushed garlic and that is the marinade. Simple, tasty, and it looks different.

And thank you. Thank you for thinking that anyone would want, intentionally or not, to make anyone sick. Certainly not at a hosted event. It's not as if what was going to be served at feast wasn't going to be simple fare with a small visual twist to make it LOOK different! GOD FORBID anyone use their imagination! And if you do think this is the case then please by all means, do not show up to feast.

Back to top Go down
Smithy
Admin
Smithy

Blue Chicken... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Chicken...   Blue Chicken... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 6:56 am

HAR HAR old man. Seriously though, good find.

Back to top Go down
Demie Zephyra

Demie Zephyra

Blue Chicken... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Chicken...   Blue Chicken... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 7:14 am

I feel like at this point, no one should be encouraged not to come to feast. :/
Back to top Go down
Scrios

Scrios

Blue Chicken... Empty
PostSubject: ..   Blue Chicken... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 7:44 am

Those blue chicken konradr posted looks like chicken wraped in a bluebarry fruit rollup lol
Back to top Go down
Sarabi

Sarabi

Blue Chicken... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Chicken...   Blue Chicken... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 7:54 am

lol smithy you're free to have your creativity... but i can't help being sick and allergic to the food coloring. i was honestly COMMUNICATING and just saying that if it has food coloring. then i can't eat it. hearing what and how it's being cooked it actually sounds really delicious. and kinda sweet i heard you and prysm tried it. what did you think of the taste?. cause that liqueur is kinda sweet right? i absolutly love curacao. >.<. and honestly (( mean this to be sweet )) i'm so glad you turned away from the meat fruit >.<. tried watching that video i'm not gonna lie i almost lost it!.. sounds delicious thanks for keeping us updated on what it's gonna be! ♥
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

Blue Chicken... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Chicken...   Blue Chicken... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 2:47 pm

If the curado is what's making it blue, then I don't think it's a problem, but as I understood it last practice we were using food coloring after the fact and then cooking it.
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Blue Chicken... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Chicken...   Blue Chicken... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 3:16 pm

Simple lack of communication ol' boy.

True medieval food really doesn't go over well when there's better modern stuff. As they say in the SCA, "If they had it they would have used it." Well, there are purist even in the SCA who argue with those who argue about the 'Anachronism' part to be sure. But who's to really say who's right and wrong.

I was just having fun after all. Blue chicken indeed. First I've ever heard of it.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
barrikaide

Blue Chicken... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Chicken...   Blue Chicken... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 4:06 pm

dont fall for the trap Kraiken muahahaha Twisted Evil

Smithy i wont...
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Blue Chicken... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Chicken...   Blue Chicken... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 7:24 pm

What am I missing? I haven't seen any posts that said feast is a separate fee. Can someone point me to the link where this is stated? I've had friends from another realm say they will skip feast if it is a separate fee as most events include the feast fee in the event fee. The only fee I remember seeing posted anywhere was $20 registration at Troll or $15 preregistration via paypal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Blue Chicken... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Chicken...   Blue Chicken... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Blue Chicken...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next