Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

Share | 

DISCUSSION! This or that

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sarabi

PostSubject: DISCUSSION! This or that    Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:28 pm

in hopes that I start fighting. and am finally getting interested in making my own equipment. I personally like to use from what I have used is a punch shield, but I think I've only used it cause that's what taco has been training me with. so I wanted to ask the question which do you think is better punch or strap shield. and why you prefer one over the other. just a silly convo. ha.

Ruler of the Almighty Taco
Friend to all

* LAY ON *
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1336161982
Hxctemplar

PostSubject: Re: DISCUSSION! This or that    Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:49 am

Both are good, depending on your particular fighting style.

For an offensive style, a punch lets you be more mobile and aggressive. That Glaive/Sword about to break your shield? Throw it at him and use that split second distraction to take out his legs or go for a kill shot.
A Strap shield, though more defensive, can actually be very aggressive for shield-to-shield fighting, such as checking and rushing.

For someone who has never fought before, I would recommend a punch shield, as it has an easy learning curve. See a shot coming towards your right side? Put the shield there. Going for your leg? lower it slightly while pulling your leg back.

A strap shield requires more body mechanics, as you'll lean your body towards the incoming shot to block it, since you can only move that strap so far.

I actually like both types of shields; a punch for close quarter/flanking, while a strapped for defensive line battles. A small strap shield on the upper arm allows more freedom, such as while doing archery, 2-handed Flo/Weapon or spear, while the backpack strap also provides protection with some mobility.
Back to top Go down

DISCUSSION! This or that
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1