Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

A question...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
konradr

konradr

A question... Empty
PostSubject: A question...   A question... I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 6:22 am

What does the following phrase mean, what language is it from and from whom?

Quote :
Dog nightingale woodpecker forty

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Demie Zephyra

Demie Zephyra

A question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A question...   A question... I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 6:57 am

Animalic.

"You are an ass."

Ass meaning donkey.

Or so I read. x]
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

A question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A question...   A question... I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 7:10 am

You get a cookie! Excellent. I will have to surf for something more challenging.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Demie Zephyra

Demie Zephyra

A question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A question...   A question... I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 7:14 am

=D
Yay!
I love cookies.
Back to top Go down
Alacian

Alacian

A question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A question...   A question... I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 2:37 pm

-adds-

Animalic was a rudimentary private language invented by Mary and Marjorie Incledon, Tolkien's young cousins, about 1905. Tolkien, then in his early teens and already deep into Latin and Anglosaxon, found it amusing and learnt it. The sole surviving fragment of Animalic is the sample sentence given by Tolkien in The Monsters and the Critics p. 200: Dog nightingale woodpecker forty, meaning "you are an ass", ass being the animal and nothing else. Forty was Animalic for "ass, donkey", while donkey was the word for 40!

-steals half of said cookie-
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

A question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A question...   A question... I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 3:42 pm

I forget I'm dealing with the completely computer literate future of America. I will have to delve in my old dusty books in the shed. Books, B O O K, BC (before computer's) hehehe and then see if I can stump yuh's.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Alacian

Alacian

A question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A question...   A question... I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 3:53 pm

My garage has some three thousand or so books in it. About six bins are mine, not to mention the hundred some in my room. I also practically live at the library. There's nothing like the smell of a dusty book sliding off the shelf. Crisp pages. That gold lining on the vellum pages of an old classic by Oscar Wilde or one of the greats....Good god how I fidget when I flip the vellum pages of "The Picture of Dorian Grey". Collectors edition at that. Lord of The Flies...Oh man I've got that one, too. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

A question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A question...   A question... I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 4:51 pm

Hmmmm, don't expect classics from me. Though I should read the lord of the flies. The original movie did disquiet me.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Alacian

Alacian

A question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A question...   A question... I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 5:55 pm

konradr wrote:
Hmmmm, don't expect classics from me. Though I should read the lord of the flies. The original movie did disquiet me.

Konradr

Do you want to borrow my copy? I'll ONLY let you borrow it if you can guarantee that it will come back to me and come back to me whole, unstained, no pages missing.
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

A question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A question...   A question... I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 7:18 pm

would I sound lazy if I said, I prefer the Audiobook because I can listen/read while driving at work? Thanks, I look for the audio version at the library. Maye I'll see ya there.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Alacian

Alacian

A question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A question...   A question... I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 7:29 pm

Ha ha. No worries. If you don't find it down Henderson way, let me know. I'll put in an online request for it throughout Clark County and find you an audiobook for it. ^_^
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

A question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A question...   A question... I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 7:35 pm

Actually I was thinking of trying the main library on Flamingo, since that is only a few block up from where I work. Think their stupid renovations are over and its back to normal there???

Speaking of the main library. The SCA holds their monthly officer meetings in some room there. Don't know what it takes to researve a room there for such things, but I would imagine it doesn't take money. Maybe we could have some kind of 'officer's' or 'populous' meeting in such a place as well. Like once a month to talk about the realm and the direction we're heading, and all that jazz. Having an organized meeting for organization matters will help...organize...things. Like how I used that word three times in different conjugations. hehehe. Anyways, what I mean, it would help in that we don't have to discuss such things at practice, and it will help legitimize us in the eyes of whoever we need to legitimize for, to get into the renaissance festival next year.

Konradr. (Phew, my fingers are tired. and with that, I bid you all adieu for I must go to work)
Back to top Go down
Knubbs

Knubbs

A question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A question...   A question... I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 10:48 pm

Our we could do that at the beginning of our Practice days. We can get anyone interested together as a group and get ideas on paper.

take say 15-20 minutes at the beginning to talk about some subjects of interest and then get back to fighting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: A question...   A question... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A question...
Page 1 of 1