Share | 

The Glaive

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Phoxly

PostSubject: The Glaive   Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:02 pm

Okay here is the glaive design I am lookin at:

http://www.dagorhir.com/forums/index.php?topic=16438.0

I'm not using that kit, but thats the "basic" design of it. I'll probably have e 30" striking surface, a reasonable length of handle, using mostly camp foam, unless I find some cheap Eva foam from Grover's in town.

Last edited by Phoxly on Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:30 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Decided not to make hammers lol)
Back to top Go down
Sarabi

PostSubject: Re: The Glaive   Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:11 am

THAT'S COOL!! I WANT ONE!
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1336161982
Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: The Glaive   Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:09 pm

Yeah I'm pretty stoked about getting one ;D I'm probably going to bring the materials to our November althing or w/e and make it there with surt or someone.
Back to top Go down
Taco

PostSubject: Re: The Glaive   Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:48 pm

yeah that would be alot of fun! and i would love to see how it's made really cool!
Back to top Go down
konradr

PostSubject: Re: The Glaive   Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:50 am

That online store bestdagstuff.com has a cool glaive kit. $45. You need to buy a 1" pole for it. Look's like quality materials and an easy build.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: The Glaive   Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:14 pm

konradr wrote:
That online store bestdagstuff.com has a cool glaive kit. $45. You need to buy a 1" pole for it. Look's like quality materials and an easy build.

Konradr

Yeah thats the one I wanna get. The core casing is awesome. Its like a PVC square thing that covers the core and you just glue your foam to it. I might get myself a bandshoppe pole. We'll see how the next few weeks go paycheck wise.
Back to top Go down
Janwin

PostSubject: Re: The Glaive   Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:00 pm

I've never really liked the look of that 'lazy man's glaive'. It looks more like a frat boy's paddle than a weapon.

Here's a picture of me with my glaive at Pentwyvern:

They're actually very easy to make. Build it up much like you would a sword (but a bit thicker), and then take 2 or 3 inch open cell foam and line from the base of the blade all the way up and over the head. That'll give you a safe red striking surface, and a green stabbing tip. It's usually a good idea to take another layer of blue closed-cell foam over the open-cell; causing the open cell to be sandwiched by closed cell.

No matter what you do with your glaive, make SURE that you have a stabbing tip. Most of your kills will be stabs.

Also, I would HIGHLY recommend NOT making yourself a glaive or polearm until you have enough money to afford a bandshoppe pole. You're just wasting time and materials if you try to make a polearm out of PVC. (Trust me; I've made that mistake in the past, and my new glaive is bandshoppe...and has never given me any problems.)
Back to top Go down
Alacian

PostSubject: Re: The Glaive   Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:06 pm

And there's my hawt Narnian buddy that I want to see at Ragnorak this year...

You've never had the true Dagorhir experience until you've been molested by a Narnian.
Back to top Go down
konradr

PostSubject: Re: The Glaive   Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:37 pm

I like you're glaive Janwin. We are in the process of ordering bandshoppe poles. I'm going to make my glaive in your style if I can. Any problems with it being a single edge as compared to the mostly double edged glaive's I see? Heavier, lighter, more balanced for chops? Yes, I agree with the stabbing part. I want to use a spear, but I think adding a chopping blade to it would help in other situations and to be more versatile.

You don't wear gloves? Any problem with hand hits?

Okay, I almost forgot to ask. In that pic of you with your glaive. By your right side on the ground there appears to be a Javelin with fletchings!!! Is this so? How did it fly compared to other javelins and were the fletchings or wings, deemed safe?

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Janwin

PostSubject: Re: The Glaive   Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:45 pm

I've never had any problems with it being single-edged. The number of backwards slashes that you'll do with it are actually really low since you tend to not be able to get enough power into your swing when you swing it backwards. And if you have to, it's quick to flip around.

Because of the single blade, it's slightly lighter. Also, single bladed glaves were historical, so it looks more like an actual weapon than a paddle. It also keeps the head more streamlined so it can fit into smaller gaps with a thrust.

Spears are great, but glaives are better, in my opinion. Yes, you can fit a spear into a smaller hole than you tend to be able to with a glaive, but the glaive has the benefit of being able to break down shields if it has to.

I actually am wearing gloves. They're tan leather.

The javelin is actually a Narnian amusement. It was made by Sir Rayleon, mostly for shits and giggles. The fletchings are closed cell blue foam, duct tapped to the javelin. It's actually quite safe, and goes absurdly far. You can even throw it backward, and it will right itself in mid-air (yes, it's quite amusing to see it turn around in mid air and then continue on its way).
Back to top Go down
konradr

PostSubject: Re: The Glaive   Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:00 am

Here's a nice little glaive a nice little lady made. And the link to the article explaining how she did it and critiscisms from here bel mates....

http://board.belegarth.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32608&hilit=wolfing+glaive

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Taco

PostSubject: Re: The Glaive   Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:54 pm

thats the person's roommate. i read the post on the glavie some one eils did it.
Back to top Go down
edgar dernhelm

PostSubject: Re: The Glaive   Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:31 pm

OMG i love that glaive OO well i guess i have a template for my idea on that bandshoppe poll Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Glaive   

Back to top Go down

The Glaive
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Barad'Dun The Western Tower :: - The Armory --
Jump to: