Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

Computer advice

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
konradr

konradr

Computer advice Empty
PostSubject: Computer advice   Computer advice I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 5:41 pm

Hey, compopulator's, I can't defragment my hard drive. When I go to analyze or defragment drive C I get a warning pop up. It says "Disk defragmenter has detected that chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume: (C:). Please run Chkdsk /f. " So what does that all mean???? Thx.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Phoxly

Phoxly

Computer advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Computer advice   Computer advice I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 7:54 pm

Go to start, run, and then run what it tells you to. DO WHAT THE MACHINE WANTS! -hides- Respect it!

No really, its probably just a bug, but if you run that it will check your disk for errors, which is always a good thing.
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Computer advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Computer advice   Computer advice I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 4:32 am

I went to start, run and ran what it said and nothing happend. Not sure what to do to change it, I'm sure its a bug or something. Can't remember last time I defragmented the drive.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

Computer advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Computer advice   Computer advice I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 4:08 pm

Hmm I can't really troubleshoot it without bein there... copy and paste whatever message it gives you, and paste it into google.
Back to top Go down
Isk

Isk

Computer advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Computer advice   Computer advice I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 7:37 pm

Konradr, you probably just need to open the command shell (type cmd at a run prompt), then type
Code:
chkdsk /f c:
It should tell you the drive is in use, do you want to schedule it on the next reboot. Say yes and then reboot. It should spend a while on a blue screen counting numbers before it loads back into windows. Then you should be able to defrag.

If it still won't defrag the most common problems are 1) some program is actively moving things around and it keeps restarting the defrag or 2) the drive is too full and won't defrag. Good luck, I hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
http://www.antirdearg.com
Phoxly

Phoxly

Computer advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Computer advice   Computer advice I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 8:26 pm

Isk wrote:
Konradr, you probably just need to open the command shell (type cmd at a run prompt), then type
Code:
chkdsk /f c:
It should tell you the drive is in use, do you want to schedule it on the next reboot. Say yes and then reboot. It should spend a while on a blue screen counting numbers before it loads back into windows. Then you should be able to defrag.

If it still won't defrag the most common problems are 1) some program is actively moving things around and it keeps restarting the defrag or 2) the drive is too full and won't defrag. Good luck, I hope that helps.

^ Yeah that should fix it. -hasn't been on Windows in a few weeks- you have to run it in the cmd prompt DX my bad.
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Computer advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Computer advice   Computer advice I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 4:19 pm

Thx Isk and Phoxly, the cmd thing got it going but like you said, not enough room on the disk to defragment so I will have to get rid of some stuff and buy some CDR's to save alot of video and pics I have on the disks. I think the kids load up on Songs too, I'll have to go on their sections and do a little gutting. Wish I could afford an external hard drive for storage. I've got CDR's coming out my butt.

Thx again.

Konradrb
Back to top Go down
Isk

Isk

Computer advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Computer advice   Computer advice I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 4:34 pm

Yeah, external hard drive is the way to go, but they aren't free. Maybe we can get congress to offer a hard drive stimulus for overloaded computers Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.antirdearg.com
Phoxly

Phoxly

Computer advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Computer advice   Computer advice I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 6:01 pm

Isk wrote:
Yeah, external hard drive is the way to go, but they aren't free. Maybe we can get congress to offer a hard drive stimulus for overloaded computers Wink

Epic idea. I have a 250G passport model I think is what they are called.

Konrad if you need to store some video or what not on it when I get down you can.
Back to top Go down
Knubbs

Knubbs

Computer advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Computer advice   Computer advice I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 7:43 pm

You usually will need to also delete out older files... like cookies and such.

I recommend you use this Program called Ccleaner. (www.ccleaner.com)

This will clean out old internet files and it cleans out the computers registry as well.

If you need a little bit more help just ask. Smile

Cya saturday.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Computer advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Computer advice   Computer advice I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Computer advice
Page 1 of 1