Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

The Medieval 3 Battle Formation.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
konradr

konradr

The Medieval 3 Battle Formation. Empty
PostSubject: The Medieval 3 Battle Formation.   The Medieval 3 Battle Formation. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 8:51 am

I think we should rethink how we form up and fight on the field. Why not try a formation from Medieval history itself. I am referring to the classic "3 Battle" formation. It was the formation used in almost all Medieval battles including the more famous one of, say the 100 years war, such as Crecy, Poiters and Agingcourt.

Medieval Armies would be divided into what they called "Battles", what we might call, say Divisions. There was a Left Battle, A Center Battle, and a Right Battle. See Diagram below:

The Medieval 3 Battle Formation. Battle10

The Battles would have gaps between them as larger or as narrow as neccessary to cover the battlefield from flank to flank. The Diagram below shows the field we usually fight on at Desert Breeze park.

The Medieval 3 Battle Formation. Battle11

Each Battle may have different numbers of troops in it according to whomever was in charge of the army, he would put a larger number of troops in whichever Battle he felt was most threatend (In a defensive fight) or was expected to break the enemy (in an Offensive fight). The key is that each Battle, despite its numbers, would still have the same type of formation. A Shield line, followed by a Support line (in our case, the Red's and Spears) and then a group of Skirmishers bringing up either the rear or the front of the formation. See Diagram below:

The Medieval 3 Battle Formation. Battle12

The skirmishers (Missiles like Archers, slingers and javelin armed troops, and in our case, anyone without a shield, a red or a spear) could move through the gaps in the Battles forwards or rearwards as neccessary. To the front they could harass the enemy line with missiles and then fall back if attacked, getting behind the Battles for protection and to protect the rear of the Battles. They could also move through the gaps in order to flank (B) or get into the rear (C) of an enemy line while the Battles moved in or charged to engage the line frontally. See Diagram below:

The Medieval 3 Battle Formation. Battle13

Maybe we could try this organization and eliminate some of the confusion we had today. Each battle would need a leader to call the movements, etc.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: The Medieval 3 Battle Formation.   The Medieval 3 Battle Formation. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 4:47 pm

Oh snap, I didn't realize you guys didn't aleady do this lol. In Belegarth we have a type of "huddle" before the lay-on. The Herald will yell "RIGHT TEAM READEH!!??!" and "LEFT TEAM READEH!!!" and then when both teams say they are ready, he will lay on. This is typically when we decide our strategy.

Shieldmen ALWAYS go on the front line, with spearmen peaking over the tops of their shields, and florentine and red swordsmen behind them. The strategy begins when we decide to either stay in that formation and fight, or 3-5 of the blue/red swordsmen will try to run around and flank them.

In fact one strategy we had, a guy (who reminds me SO much of Taco) ran around the back side by himself. He was so good, and well known for being good that his sole purpose was to distract them, while we charged.

When your team is organized and fighting well, it makes things fun.

Spearmen: Check out those spearmen training fighting videos Konradr posted, they explain how to fight in a shield line.
Back to top Go down
Surt

Surt

PostSubject: Re: The Medieval 3 Battle Formation.   The Medieval 3 Battle Formation. I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 5:35 pm

brilliant stuff konrad. i think we'll practice this stuff next saturday!
Back to top Go down
https://baraddun.forumotion.net
Isk

Isk

PostSubject: Re: The Medieval 3 Battle Formation.   The Medieval 3 Battle Formation. I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 5:12 am

Great post, Konradr. I usually divide the team into two groups and then give very loose instructions. I like the three battle approach you outlined above and think we'll work with it a little more. Thanks for taking the time to write this up.
Back to top Go down
http://www.antirdearg.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Medieval 3 Battle Formation.   The Medieval 3 Battle Formation. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Medieval 3 Battle Formation.
Page 1 of 1