Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

Bow and Arrows

Go down 
+4
Strider
K'urn
Surt
konradr
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
konradr

konradr

Bow and Arrows Empty
PostSubject: Bow and Arrows   Bow and Arrows I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 6:35 pm

I was poking about on the web for info. What do you think of this page. I don't think its dagorhir, but the arrows look doable. Dagorhir does not require the bow to be padded, correct?

http://groups.google.com/group/swordtag/web/how-to-make-bow-and-arrows

Konradr (Kurt or Kj)
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Surt

Surt

Bow and Arrows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow and Arrows   Bow and Arrows I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2009 8:48 pm

correct. bows need not be padded.
Back to top Go down
https://baraddun.forumotion.net
K'urn

K'urn

Bow and Arrows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow and Arrows   Bow and Arrows I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 3:12 am

DO NOT!!! Please! Oh, Please! DO NOT use that tutorial for arrows.

I don't know where to start.

The head is not big enough. The head probably wobbles, making it unsafe. Pipe insulation wears down WAAAAY to quickly. There is NO penny fixed perpendicularly on the tip. With that amount of duct tape, and no progressive resistance, it probably hits like a brick...need I go on.

Trust me, use the Edhellen build design. It's the easiest and best design that I know of. Pair that with the modular head design, and you have a winner.

Did I mention, with that much duct tape the arrow would weigh a ton.

K-
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Bow and Arrows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow and Arrows   Bow and Arrows I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 7:34 am

Aha! and here is the webpage for Edhellen Arrow construction.

http://www.edhellen.com/arrow_construction.htm
Back to top Go down
K'urn

K'urn

Bow and Arrows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow and Arrows   Bow and Arrows I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 5:56 pm

That is the one.

K-
Back to top Go down
Strider

Strider

Location : Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: lolololololololololol roflcopterswaswaswa

Bow and Arrows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow and Arrows   Bow and Arrows I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 9:21 pm

Dang thats a little more detailed than i thought when making arrows.
Back to top Go down
K'urn

K'urn

Bow and Arrows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow and Arrows   Bow and Arrows I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 11, 2009 3:29 pm

Arrows, for obvious reasons, are the most regulated and checked weapons on the field. At Ragnarok melee weapons and shields are checked every other day, arrows are checked EVERY day.

K-
Back to top Go down
Strider

Strider

Location : Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: lolololololololololol roflcopterswaswaswa

Bow and Arrows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow and Arrows   Bow and Arrows I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 4:21 am

Huh, thats cool. I wish i could go to Ragnarok, I have wanted to go for two years but never had the means. Maybe next year.
Back to top Go down
Surt

Surt

Bow and Arrows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow and Arrows   Bow and Arrows I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 6:31 pm

y not this year?
Back to top Go down
Strider

Strider

Bow and Arrows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow and Arrows   Bow and Arrows I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 12, 2009 6:39 pm

I read on Dagorhir that you need to be 18 or have a guardian with you or something.
Back to top Go down
K'urn

K'urn

Bow and Arrows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow and Arrows   Bow and Arrows I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 4:15 am

For Rag all you would need is to be 16 and have a gaurdian over 18.

K-
Back to top Go down
Strider

Strider

Bow and Arrows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow and Arrows   Bow and Arrows I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 5:25 am

Which i do not . . . . Unless maybe my 19 year old friend from san diego feels like coming with me.
Back to top Go down
K'urn

K'urn

Bow and Arrows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow and Arrows   Bow and Arrows I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 3:45 pm

Any one of us, who are over 18, could take charge of you for the week.

K-
Back to top Go down
Strider

Strider

Bow and Arrows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow and Arrows   Bow and Arrows I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 8:18 pm

But i dont want to burden anyone or whatever.
Back to top Go down
Surt

Surt

Bow and Arrows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow and Arrows   Bow and Arrows I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 4:40 am

lol just gooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Bow and Arrows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow and Arrows   Bow and Arrows I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 7:13 am

Kurn, My son wants to try a bow and arrow, and I'm thinking about adding one to my Norse arsenal. (Been thinking building a crossbow too) Anyhow, came across a deal on Ebay and want to ask your opinion. It's a 60" red fiberglass 'Indian Archery' recurve bow rated at 25/30lbs. It's $29.99 with $7.50 S & H. What d'ya think? Is fiberglass okay or does it have to be wood? Is 60" a big bow? adult or youth?

image of bow

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=851507&image=272629066&images=272629066,272629506&formats=0,0&format=0

Konradr
Back to top Go down
D\'edra

D\'edra

Bow and Arrows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow and Arrows   Bow and Arrows I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 4:28 pm

K~ says that is a pretty good bow....he says it will be just fine to arch with.....

Kurn approves!!

(it's not the bow that will kick his ass its the arrows)
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/marciex32
K'urn

K'urn

Bow and Arrows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow and Arrows   Bow and Arrows I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2009 4:51 pm

Yeah, Indian archery can turn out some really good starter bows. I think that the length will be fine.
Most people just want anything that will send arrows down the field.

K-
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Bow and Arrows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow and Arrows   Bow and Arrows I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2009 3:46 am

I bought the bow on Ebay, but I haven't paid for it yet, will have to do it monday. Now next payday's allowance has to go to getting a new cell phone because mine went through the washing machine and the dryer and didn't survive either. So the payday after that I figured on buying like 4 arrows maybe from sports authority or something. I'm on budget, I've seen cheap wooden arrows but I can't see them surviving a battle if stepped on. Can't afford kevlar or any fancy composite so what are the pro's and cons of fiberglass or aluminum? As for the heads, I will order the kits from Edellen armoury.

Then the payday after that, a short sword for my daughter and maybe start foaming up that tear drop shield I got sitting in the shed.

Then the payday after that??? oh yeah, garb time for the kids, etc.

Damn, dag can be costly......but fun!

Konradr
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Bow and Arrows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow and Arrows   Bow and Arrows I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 6:16 am

Okay, I'm almost set with archery. I ordered four arrow head kits from Edhellen armoury on Friday and I bought four aluminum arrows from dick's sporting goods today. I wanted fiberglass arrows but they didn't have big one's only the youth one's which are smaller and skinnier. The arrows were $3.99 ea and didn't have points. I guess you can buy points and screw them in. I didn't want to have to saw them off anyways, but now I can't take the arrows down to the silverbowl range to practice with. It's been al looooooooong time since I ever used a bow. I use to shoot alot, and one time when I was a teen I owned a barnett crossbow. That was like shooting a rifle except it kicked away from you instead of into your shoulder.

I think I have like $4 or 5 dollars left of my allowance. I'm going to need athletic/hockey tape. Dick's tape was $4.99, so I'll probably check walmart first.

Archer, hehe.
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Bow and Arrows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow and Arrows   Bow and Arrows I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 7:15 pm

Thank you Kilanos for the two arrowhead kits. I made my two arrows today. Though in my heart I feel I am no archer, I am itching to try these babies out. I am thinking of going to Sunset park tomorrow with my kids, a shield, the loaner bow and my arrows. Oddvar let me borrow the loaner arrows plus his two arrows so I have 6 with me. Might be able to stop at Dick's or Big 5 and get a new bowstring for my own bow. Probably about 10:00am and practice for about an hour. Might bring the Jav's too and of course some water. Have to leave no later than 11:30 as I have to get ready for work.

If I show up with arrows and start shooting in the park, do you think I might have any problems with park police? I know there is a free county archery range over near the silver bowl (very close to my house) but I don't know if I want to be shooting these dag arrows at those straw back targets and at those ranges.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Kilanos

Kilanos

Bow and Arrows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow and Arrows   Bow and Arrows I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 12:55 am

You shouldn't have any problems since they are padded. I've gone to the park down the street from my house and shot without any problems though I haven't ever seen any authority figures show up. Also the fact that we shoot at a park every week...
Back to top Go down
Demie Zephyra

Demie Zephyra

Bow and Arrows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow and Arrows   Bow and Arrows I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 2:51 am

Hi. I've been searching all weekend for a bow to use.
I checked Big 5 and they had some stuff.
However, even the huge Bass Pro Shop only had compound bows.
Is there any place you could suggest to look for one without ordering it online or spending a ton of money?
Even a youth bow would be perfect for my size.
I'd greatly appreciate the help!

~Demie Z.
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Bow and Arrows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow and Arrows   Bow and Arrows I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 6:35 am

Dicks sporting goods had recurve youth bow sets. There's two archery shops that I know of with indoor lanes. I think one is called pacific archery. Its over by chinatown (like spring mountain and Arville area) I think it's schiff street or something like that. I've only been there once and that wasn't for archery, I needed rabbit blunts for my historical rapier fencing. Check the phone book for the actual address. The other shop is Silver state archery and that's next to the Ethel M factory on Mountain Vista. (by sunset road) I haven't been there yet but am planning to stop by one of these days to get a bowstring. I'll look around to see what they have. These 'archery only' places should have recurve bows, maybe even used ones. You could try thrift stores and the swap meet to or even pawn shops for used bows. I'm not an archer but I know Kilanos and Oddvar know bows so maybe they have some good info for you.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
K'urn

K'urn

Bow and Arrows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow and Arrows   Bow and Arrows I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 1:45 pm

Best thing I can suggest is lancasterarchery.com they have relatively good bows for a good price.
Without going online I would check out Pacific Archery, last time I was there they had some used bows that would work well.

K-
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bow and Arrows Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bow and Arrows   Bow and Arrows I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bow and Arrows
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next