Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

Round plywood punch shield.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
konradr

konradr

Round plywood punch shield. Empty
PostSubject: Round plywood punch shield.   Round plywood punch shield. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 2:13 am

I've seen a couple of posts on the Bel forum about making punch shields out of playwood. As you know my first two shields were wood cored punch shields. The first one was a 20 inch buckler with a gate handle grip. It wasn't plywood and as such cracked when stomped on. My second one, which my son now uses to good effect, was like 1/2" or 1/4" (can't remember) plywood. It was an SCA oval scutum with a steel boss. I took the steel off and foamed it up.

Plywood punch shields have a little more weight than a coreless punch shield, so it'll take a stronger hit to make it move out of the way. However, it will move and can snap back against your hand. Have had that happen. When your grip and arm are stronger from using it, this will help keep it firm. Also a plywood punch will move more readily than a plywood strapped shield when kicked/kneed or Templared, and this may keep it from cracking more easily.

Anyhow, the thing I noticed about the Bel shields that were under discussion, and I will enclose some pics of one of the shields, is that they are using a countersunk metal boss. The one in the picture is using a stove top drip pan for the boss. The boss and core are then covered in a minimum of 3 layers of blue foam. This is an idea I wouldn't mind using, however, in Dagorhir, would such a countersunk metal boss be legal for use???

Enquiring minds want to know. Pics below...
Round plywood punch shield. DSC04228
Round plywood punch shield. DSC04235
Round plywood punch shield. DSC04236
Round plywood punch shield. DSC04233

Here's the other shield, looks the same, but it looks like he put more foam on it.

Round plywood punch shield. IMG_6099
Round plywood punch shield. IMG_6098
Round plywood punch shield. IMG_6100

Konradr (the one who makes Smithy smile sometimes)
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Taco

Taco

PostSubject: Re: Round plywood punch shield.   Round plywood punch shield. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 4:05 am

i like the boss idea thats really cool
Back to top Go down
Strider

Strider

Location : Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: lolololololololololol roflcopterswaswaswa

PostSubject: Re: Round plywood punch shield.   Round plywood punch shield. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 9:27 am

Well, there isn't anything in the rules about metal shield cores, so I say go for it.
Back to top Go down
Smithy
Admin
Smithy

PostSubject: Re: Round plywood punch shield.   Round plywood punch shield. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 10:44 am

Once again your briliance shines through. That's a great way to protect the shield hand. BTW I love the new terminology.

"Broken shield? Must have been Templared'.

We'll still leave bodily shield movement to either Baricaded or Tacoed.
Back to top Go down
Isk

Isk

PostSubject: Re: Round plywood punch shield.   Round plywood punch shield. I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 8:06 pm

Did any of you use my large teardrop punch the last time we came down? I cut out two half circles around the handle, so the base of the handle is still part of the core. Then I ran a 3/8-1/2" strip of plywood from the top to the bottom over the handle section in the boss. This way it can all be secured with quality wood glue, no nails, screws or bolts, and it is very solidly in place. For the boss area I just cut out the first two layers of blue foam and then cut two additional pieces to build it out from the front. I like this method of making the handle and it has held up really well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.antirdearg.com
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: Round plywood punch shield.   Round plywood punch shield. I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 8:12 pm

Could you take some webcam pics of your design Isk. I didn't see the grip on your tear drop and for some reason, I can't picture the look your describing. Images say a thousand words. Words of course are beautiful, the two together change the world. Oops, sorry got philosophical there for a moment.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Isk

Isk

PostSubject: Re: Round plywood punch shield.   Round plywood punch shield. I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 11:43 pm

Okay, here's a sketch of the design. It has stood up really well so far.
Round plywood punch shield. Punch
Back to top Go down
http://www.antirdearg.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Round plywood punch shield.   Round plywood punch shield. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Round plywood punch shield.
Page 1 of 1