Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

Grappling lessons?

Go down 
+3
sasquatch
konradr
Demie Zephyra
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Demie Zephyra

Demie Zephyra

Grappling lessons? Empty
PostSubject: Grappling lessons?   Grappling lessons? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 4:50 am

Alright, after watching the epic grapple between Templar and Taco today,

I really, really want to learn how to grapple effectively.

I've only grappled once.

And I want to learn how to do it better and practice a little.

Could we maybe do some grappling work next practice?

Anyone else up for it?
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Grappling lessons? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grappling lessons?   Grappling lessons? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 5:56 am

Konradr groans and mutters *grappling*. I'll refer you to Oddvar and Surt to begin your lessons in 'manhandling' the, um, men.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
sasquatch

sasquatch

Grappling lessons? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grappling lessons?   Grappling lessons? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 7:24 pm

absolutely let's do grapplin
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/kookiecrazy
Taco

Taco

Grappling lessons? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grappling lessons?   Grappling lessons? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 7:35 pm

that's a good one to do.
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Grappling lessons? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grappling lessons?   Grappling lessons? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 9:45 pm

Grappling has its uses at times, I suppose, though I prefer to kill or die with an edged weapon before coming to grips, but it does happen. However, from what I read on the Dag forum, and I will read more to familiarize myself with the amount of grappling being done, when you work in teams on the battle field, grappling your opponant means your opponants teammates would be able to kill you more effectively. That is as long as there's good teamwork being used. In a line battle, if you grapple, you are entwining yourself with someone else, fixing yourself, unable to manuever or defend against another angle of attack from an enemy teammate.

Grappling is better in 1 on 1 situations or fluid battles such as free for alls where there is no dedicated 'teammate' who can rescue the grappled person by killing the Grappler.

I will have to read up and peruse the forums more to see whats allowable. Surt would know much more than I. I'm not sure 'throws' are allowed, like the hip throw that Taco put on Templar. I will have to ask Surt. I know severe locks are not alowed either. Simple locks, and sweeps are allowed, such as judo style leg and ankle sweeps. Wrestling take downs are allowed too. I know the hip toss is considered a wrestling take down too so it may be legal. It depends on how they define a take down or a throw.

A leg sweep would be a good manuever if your in close and someone grabs your spear/jav or weapon arm. It's all about balance more than body weight. Basic wrestling moves; however, distinctly favour the heavier, larger opponant. That's why they have weight classes in wrestling. When needing to Grapple, think Judo instead of wrestling. Try to over balance your opponant onto the ground rather than grab him/her and throw him down. You could tackle him/her, that is momentum and angling, but body weight would affect that outcome as well.

If you grab a weapon, hold on for dear life. Don't let go. Work on your grip. Work on twisting the weapon and arm to get them to release the grip. In the long run, the more the two of you fight for the weapon, the person with better strength, will win out. It's physics.

If on the ground try simple leg locks around your opponants upper body (aka Judo) and pull them back. You have to use angle and balance, but if you have strong leg's you should be able to do it. Once a bigger, stronger person usually gets you in a strong ground guard. They will eventually win out. Squirm, spin, roll, keep moving to keep from being pinned and then killed.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Grappling lessons? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grappling lessons?   Grappling lessons? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 4:01 am

A quick distinction "grabbing a weapon (non-edged weapon) or armor or shield, to move or control it is not grappling. Bodily contact is grappling.

From Bel forum:

Quote :
The way I've always heard it explained is that it's high school wrestling, without any locks or 5-point throws. So, hip tossing is about the grandest thing you can do, and no joint locks. Grappling is 90% grabbing people's wrists and taking them down to steal their weapons.

Reading a post on a game to develop grappling, I've come up with three.

1. THE MONGOL RUSH.

A free-for-all or teamed fight. No one has weapon's. The game is based on a 'Nedam(?)' which is the traditional Mongolian wrestling competition which in ancient times was used by Ghenghis to train his warriors. So in the game you are all Mongol Warriors who want to win to impress the onlooking Great Khan. You knock opponants out of the game by making any part of their body other than the soles of their feet, the palms of their hands, or their heads (for safety sake) touch the ground. No sacrifice throws, if you touch the ground as well, you are both out.

2. THE SHIELD BASH.

Not really grappling, but in the same vein. The set up is like the Mongol Rush, free-for-all or team fight. No one has weapon's, only shields or nothing. Using shields or grappling, you must make your opponant touch the ground with any part of his body other than the sole's of his feet, palms of his hands or his head. Landing on your shield, and avoiding the ground is permissable.

OPTION: You can put this in a large 'bear pit/arena' and add knocking your opponant over the boundary to eliminate him. Opponant must have both feet over the boundary to be eliminated.

3. THE BEAR PIT PUSH.

This one is based on Sumo wrestling. It can be one on one or small teams. The object is to push/pull, or throw (remember only hip throws) your opponant out of the ring. Two feet must be out of the ring for the opponant to be eliminated. If both fighter's go out of the ring by two feet, both are eliminated. If a fighter falls to the ground, he is not eliminated.

OPTION: The fighters may use shields only and shield push their opponant out of the ring.

CAUTIONARY NOTE: For safety's sake, grappling in Dagorhir allows leg sweeps, pushing/pulling and hip high throws. No shoulder throws or head over heels throws. No severe arm, leg or joint locks, no head locks or chokes. If you throw someone, hold onto them or their garb til they hit the ground so you lessen the force with which they hit the ground. Demonstrate safe control of your movements or don't grapple.

In Dagorhir, anyone wearing armor, armor grade or even plastic safety armor, can not initiate a grappel. If an unarmored person initiates a grappel with someone in armor, they do so at their own risk of injury.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Hxctemplar

Hxctemplar

Grappling lessons? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grappling lessons?   Grappling lessons? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 4:09 am

There is a game I know based on an old youtube video (sadly I can't find it anymore)

it starts off with three people. 1 person stands in front of the two while all three look in the same direction, sorta like a traingle shape. One person has a dagger while the other two are unarmed. The single person throws the dagger behind him and both people wait until the dagger falls. They turn around, find the dagger, and grapple each other for it.
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Grappling lessons? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grappling lessons?   Grappling lessons? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 4:15 am

some simple leg sweeps and pushes and a hip throw.

Grappling lessons? 90070938
Grappling lessons? 20092146
Grappling lessons? 693646
Grappling lessons? 20079277
Grappling lessons? 694186
Grappling lessons? 695152
Grappling lessons? 695374
Grappling lessons? 695930
Grappling lessons? 696173
Grappling lessons? 696692

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Demie Zephyra

Demie Zephyra

Grappling lessons? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grappling lessons?   Grappling lessons? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 5:54 am

Ah, it reminds me of the good old days in Tae Kwon Do.

:3

I used to be able to get boys three times my size telling me to stop hurting them.

Of course, this was usually done with various holds on their arms.

I do remember the leg sweeps though.
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Grappling lessons? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grappling lessons?   Grappling lessons? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 6:49 am

No joint locks demie, please be kind to your enemies.

I saw that youtube video too Templar. I'd rather run for a dagger and fight over it (or any other weapon) than place it between us and grapple over it the way they usually do. That kind of grappling is not my thang, thats just wrestlin'.

On the boards they say grappling is useful to tie someone up long enough for your buddy to step over and kill him. 'nuff said.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Demie Zephyra

Demie Zephyra

Grappling lessons? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grappling lessons?   Grappling lessons? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 7:19 am

Yes, sir.

Not saying I'd use the same techniques.

Just remembering them.

>.> I couldn't be anything but nice to an enemy.
Back to top Go down
sasquatch

sasquatch

Grappling lessons? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grappling lessons?   Grappling lessons? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 7:32 am

ya head and arm is okay then woot
the dagger sounds exactly like a wresting scramble drill
the games sound fun too cant wait
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/kookiecrazy
edgar dernhelm

edgar dernhelm

Grappling lessons? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grappling lessons?   Grappling lessons? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 6:12 pm

pretty good pics konrad i have judo experience i just dont grapple much cause im overly concerned about hurting ppl i dont wanna accidentally hurt someone Sad but if someone grapples me seriously i will put them down Twisted Evil after seein taco and temps grapple my judo bloods a boilin Razz
Back to top Go down
Sarabi

Sarabi

Grappling lessons? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grappling lessons?   Grappling lessons? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 7:38 pm

konradr wrote:
Konradr groans and mutters *grappling*. I'll refer you to Oddvar and Surt to begin your lessons in 'manhandling' the, um, men.

Konradr
ha ha ha i like how this was put but yeah i'm kinda interested too i've seen josh (taco) and some of the bel boys do it and for one i'm afraid of being crush and trampled but sometimes it's fun getting all roughed up and dirty lol.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1336161982
Demie Zephyra

Demie Zephyra

Grappling lessons? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grappling lessons?   Grappling lessons? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 5:59 am

Ahaha.

I'm not afraid of being crushed.

Got a lot of padding on me. xD

But, I am afraid to crush some of the smaller Dag members.

I'd be terrified to grapple with Martin. x]
Back to top Go down
edgar dernhelm

edgar dernhelm

Grappling lessons? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grappling lessons?   Grappling lessons? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 11:16 pm

lol well then seems there will be some flying bodies next saterday Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Grappling lessons? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grappling lessons?   Grappling lessons? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grappling lessons?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Barad'Dun The Western Tower :: - The Armory - :: Training & Fighting Techniques-
Jump to: