Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

Share | 

weapon flex

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
barrikaide

PostSubject: weapon flex   Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:30 am

I think nightmare and i both had weapons that flexed too much saturday. I didnt see nightmare's but mine was tested by knubbs, surt, and heretic about a month ago and it was fine. Now in Taco's hands it flexes as he pounds it on a wooden shield. So do i scrap the weapon or what? Do i have to make my maces with 3/4 pvc and make them clunky and slow? Sad sigh maybe ill go to edhellen
Back to top Go down
Smithy
Admin

PostSubject: Re: weapon flex   Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:03 pm

No need to go there. There are plenty of places here in the city you can get supplies for weapon construction. And even if you run all over town to collect bits and pieces it'll still be cheaper than that place.

Your speed bats are ridiculously simple to build.

1. a can of DAP. around 6 dollars at Lowes.

2. 1/2 inch fiberglass core. There is a source in the city. I think it's like an 8 foot length. I think Taco knows about that source.

3. 1 yard of Valora. 13.00 dollars at galaxy foam. plus tax. Or you could get one roll of blue mat foam at Wal Mart.

4. Duct tape. nuff said there.

5. Cloth covering. maybe a half yard.

6. Cloth or hockey tape. I just buy the pack but you should only need one or two rolls.

That list of supplies will build two bats. I can help you build them.
Back to top Go down
Taco

PostSubject: Re: weapon flex   Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:45 pm

sorry for that, mabe i swing alittle to hard.
Back to top Go down
barrikaide

PostSubject: Re: weapon flex   Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:53 pm

oh you do Taco but if it flexes it flexes. It never flexed in my hands and nor did it for surt or knubbs. My question is do i scrap it or what? going to make me make a flail soon Razz
Back to top Go down
K'urn

PostSubject: Re: weapon flex   Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:57 pm

What is the core? How long is it? How was it being tested when it 'flexed too much'?

K-
Back to top Go down
Taco

PostSubject: Re: weapon flex   Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:00 pm

i would say tha weapon was about 2 1/2 to three and is the thinner pvc, i tested it on a wood cored shield, and plus i swing really hard most the time.
Back to top Go down
barrikaide

PostSubject: Re: weapon flex   Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:40 pm

its .5 Pvc but only 32inch i believe. the flex test before was hitting the bottom of the courtesy padding over a knee. But taco hits hard and did it on a wooden shield. i would say it barely hit 45degrees i doubt anyone else out there can make it bend 45 by swinging it.
Back to top Go down
Smithy
Admin

PostSubject: Re: weapon flex   Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:40 am

I wouldn't scrap it all, especially if the cores are still good. Taco can hit a bit hard but in my opinion you are just as big a powerhouse as he is. (Compliment) Go ahead and just do a rebuild. Once you get it torn down though pay a little extra attention to the core itself. Look for things like dents in the plastic, creases, or other signs of break down. If YOU think that the core has seen enough action then replace it. If not, a simple rebuild will be perfect and I can't wait to see what you come up with.
Back to top Go down
K'urn

PostSubject: Re: weapon flex   Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:31 pm

Flex tests should be done on a knee or over the shoulder with the elbow bent to create a 45 degree angle. You hit the shoulder and if the elbow gets hit from flex...it's too much. I would never flex test on an inanimate object, thats a good way to break cores and piss people off.

Barrikaide, try shoving an oak dowel into the core. Insert it from the pommell. You want it to fit tight so you may have to wrap some duct tape around it. Alternatively you could use a length of fiberglass.

K-
Back to top Go down
barrikaide

PostSubject: Re: weapon flex   Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:41 pm

good to know. i dont think it will flex over someones shoulder like that.
Back to top Go down
Taco

PostSubject: Re: weapon flex   Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:08 pm

apologizes then.
Back to top Go down
barrikaide

PostSubject: Re: weapon flex   Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:19 am

i have 2 3/8inch fiberglass rods and 1 1/2 inch if i make a weapon using these. the 3/8s together or the 1/2 by itself how do i prevent them from flexing? i mean a cheap way. does taping the 2 3/8s a couple times down its length help? whats the max length for them before to flexy?
Back to top Go down
K'urn

PostSubject: Re: weapon flex   Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:15 pm

Depends on what you're making. If it's a sword you should glue and tape the 3/8 together (I like liquid nails) You should attached the blade so the foam is on the flat edge (touching both rods). Also, I usually tape and glue a couple pieces to the flat to make a handle. This also seems to help prevent flexing.

If you are making a beat stick. The 1/2 inch rod would be better. At a guess, I would estimate 3' maximum before it's too flexy. Personally I would use a graphit (or similar material) golf club shaft.

K-
Back to top Go down
barrikaide

PostSubject: Re: weapon flex   Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:11 am

lame already in the process of making a dual corre 3/8fiberglass and its already bending..... i put a lot of tape on it also... and i was going to maybe maybe this a sword instead of speed bat.... but its already bending grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Back to top Go down
barrikaide

PostSubject: Re: weapon flex   Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:50 pm

so first layer of foam is on it and its flexing. im going to assume its not going to flex less after second and third layer right?

also seems like it flexes more if the striking side is with the poles next to each other instead of back to back if you know what i mean.
Back to top Go down
K'urn

PostSubject: Re: weapon flex   Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:36 pm

I know what you mean, and your right. However, it's harder to make the weapon safely that way. There is less area in which to spread the impact.

Did you glue the two rods together, before you tape them? I am a fan of liquid nails, or JB weld.

K-

Where did you get the rods, and are you sure they are 3/8"?
Back to top Go down
barrikaide

PostSubject: Re: weapon flex   Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:35 pm

ya they are 3/8 driveway markers.
Back to top Go down
barrikaide

PostSubject: Re: weapon flex   Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:06 pm

how much does the foam or type of foam affect the flex? the mace i have is a pool noodle and 1 layer of camping pad. which is essentially 3layers but maybe the pool nooble is so crappy it allows it to bend? i was thinking of trying another one with just the standard 3 layers of camping pad and see how it goes. with 1/2 pvc but i will be adding a stabby tip to it. so it will be a little longer.
Back to top Go down
K'urn

PostSubject: Re: weapon flex   Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:34 pm

Almost none at all. In fact the added wieght og the foam is more likely to increase the flexing of a weapon.

K-
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: weapon flex   

Back to top Go down

weapon flex
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1