Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

Dead Warriors Walking?

Go down 
+7
Knubbs
Scrios
Morlock
Alacian
sasquatch
caretaker
Phoxly
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Phoxly

Phoxly

Dead Warriors Walking? Empty
PostSubject: Dead Warriors Walking?   Dead Warriors Walking? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 10:34 pm

Something I haven't really seen much of in Dag is dead bodies on the field... Usually when a player dies they simply puttheir sword on their head and walk away, or if you are respawning they walk back to the respawn point. Is there a reason no one just drops to the ground til that particular game is over? Even when we played relic players just walked back to their zone instead of sitting down or laying on the ground?

Its not a big deal but I think it makes the field look alot less chaotic. And it also stops players (you know who you are) from pretending to be dead and then walking behind someone and tapping them on the back as you run down the line... There is alot of "I THOUGHT HE WAS DEAD!" on the field too.

In our Humans vs Creeps last practice it was so chaotic trying to figure out which humans were alive. I don't know how many of our visitors on the day for Fools Raid follow the "DEAD!" and drop to the ground rule, but it could save some confusion.
Back to top Go down
caretaker

caretaker

PostSubject: Re: Dead Warriors Walking?   Dead Warriors Walking? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 11:10 pm

lol, you could have posted this in the Improvement topic:D however, I agree. At events and at practice for us, it has always been sit or lay where you die. It keeps people from getting hit after they are dead, keeps people who are alive not confused with the dead, its more realistic, and it give the battlefield obstacles to fight around.

Sitting on the field is no dangerous than being on the field in general. You must always be aware of your surroundings and keep your battlefield awareness up to par.

My favorite part in my Unit was our dead talks. Some games would go on for ever and many might have heard me say "were having a tea party" or something of that sort, that's what im talking about:D We allowed dead to talk to each other about non-combat related things:D

I agree. This is how much of events are. In the GOF video i posted on the Red topic, Romans are literally walking over me and thats the only time you see me in that video.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/thomasalesterayers?re
sasquatch

sasquatch

PostSubject: Re: Dead Warriors Walking?   Dead Warriors Walking? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 11:29 pm

i agree
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/kookiecrazy
Alacian

Alacian

PostSubject: Re: Dead Warriors Walking?   Dead Warriors Walking? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 11:35 pm

We used to stay where we dropped when I first started attending practice.

However...a certain someone fell on one of our visitors and busted his collarbone while he was lying on the field dead....sans the bodies when people are tripping on them or kicking you in the ribs....Heretic jumped over my body once and I took a foot to the ribs when 'being dead'.

Of course, I like the abuse. So....
Back to top Go down
Morlock

Morlock

PostSubject: Re: Dead Warriors Walking?   Dead Warriors Walking? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 11:36 pm

At most events, when the game isn't a spawn game, players are told to keep one elbow on the ground and to keep quiet. An example would NOT be me standing to one side with my sword on my head shouting at current players to watch their flank, but rather laying on my side watching the fighting and quietly chatting with those who also died around me.

Might be a good thing to try practicing, however as the host group the rules everyone follows are up to you.
Back to top Go down
Scrios

Scrios

PostSubject: ..   Dead Warriors Walking? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 11:56 pm

I used to stay on the field but when people were fighting I moved away so I would'nt get trampled on :P
Back to top Go down
Knubbs

Knubbs

PostSubject: Re: Dead Warriors Walking?   Dead Warriors Walking? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 12:07 am

As a usual herald i call for the dead to leave the field. This is a safety thing. When barrikade and Heretic are running around they can hurt people if they go full bore. Its just easier to clear the field.
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Dead Warriors Walking?   Dead Warriors Walking? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 1:24 am

@Caretaker lol yeah it should have gone in the improvement thread, it started as a simple question then I jus started rambling D= could merge it if an admin wanted.

We used to play kill the king where the king had to walk up to a fallen person and touch them for 3 seconds in order for them to respawn. Its better than having 5-10 people around the king counting. I was pretty sure at one point in our last Kill the King it was just the kings alive, but there were so many people around each of them that you never really knew who would spawn and start attacking.
Back to top Go down
caretaker

caretaker

PostSubject: Re: Dead Warriors Walking?   Dead Warriors Walking? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 2:45 am

*nods* playing kill the king the way we did Saturday was quite odd, and i took a few stray shots running back to the king. Dead lay where they die was the original way dag was meant to be played.

I'm sorry but it has been quite chaotic, im sick of getting hit after im already dead.
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Dead Warriors Walking?   Dead Warriors Walking? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 4:04 am

Yeah and the king could also revitalize limbs so poor Caretaker isn't stuck on his knees for 3 minutes behind a huge shield. I felt for ya there lol 'leave the gimps!'
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: Dead Warriors Walking?   Dead Warriors Walking? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 6:54 am

Sounds good. Dead stay kneeling or on the ground, and only talk to other dead. Until a herald calls the dead to leave the field. Do they usually call hold when they remove the dead?

Haven't been to any events, don't know how they are run.

I agree, it was silly chasing down the king to come back to life. We should stay dead til the king touches us or have a respawn point somewhere else. I like the idea of the king rejuvenating the limbs though. I dont' think it should be 3 seconds, instant.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
caretaker

caretaker

PostSubject: Re: Dead Warriors Walking?   Dead Warriors Walking? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 7:14 am

Ive never seen anyone pull dead off the fields at events, but im sure if it was an emergency they would. I like that Idea Konradr, Sounds like good from both worlds. Stay on the field, sitting(so no one confuses dead legs)until the herald calls someone off.

weve always played with instant respawn with kill the king:D
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: Dead Warriors Walking?   Dead Warriors Walking? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 7:25 am

I never fought at a large SCA war or event. I've been to a crown tourney and small scale local melee practice, but I know the heralds can in their discretion call a hold and have the dead clear the field to avoid injury.

I thought it was cool in your GOF video how you guys charged, then piled up as dead and the Romans then stepped gingerly over you and pushed on against your survivors. I was a bit worried about someone being trodden on and possibly hurt, but it is part of the game and you can turtle up or move slightly as long as you maintain your awareness.

I think I might start picking people at random during practice and play whatever game they want with whatever specific rules. Experience people can teach us new forms of games and newer people can get to choose what they want to play.

At one point, I believe it was when Surt was gone, I remember watching the original TV spot of Dagorhir (on youtube) from 1982 and how they really wanted the deaths to be like "hollywood" and I remember telling people to die with flair, but that doesn't happen, though it should.

If I were dead on the field, I would turtle up under my shield, or go fetal and protect my vitals if Barrikade or Sasquatch were fighting around me. They are intense fighters.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Dead Warriors Walking?   Dead Warriors Walking? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 1:51 pm

In belegarth back in Twin Falls we died with flair quite a few times lol. We played one mode where it was a single blue free for all, and after you died the person had to kneel down in defeat while the killer HAD to say something like "MY NAME IS NATOOKA!!" and deliver some fancy killing blow. (Karion's idea years and years ago.) It was kind of a tournament I think, as there wasn't any ganking or anything, just one on one's and the winner waited for someone else to fight and move on.
Back to top Go down
Karion D'Learive

Karion D'Learive

PostSubject: Re: Dead Warriors Walking?   Dead Warriors Walking? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 8:46 pm

Phoxly wrote:
In belegarth back in Twin Falls we died with flair quite a few times lol. We played one mode where it was a single blue free for all, and after you died the person had to kneel down in defeat while the killer HAD to say something like "MY NAME IS NATOOKA!!" and deliver some fancy killing blow. (Karion's idea years and years ago.) It was kind of a tournament I think, as there wasn't any ganking or anything, just one on one's and the winner waited for someone else to fight and move on.

Not quite my idea bud. The game in question is called a Highlander Tourney. Not really a tournament, just the name. As Phoxly said it, once you kill someone you run the blade of your weapon along their neck and say something witty, like with Highlander "There can be only one." in this game you have to use a bladed weapon, no clubs. The only way to start a battle between two people was to make eye contact with them. You can not hit people in the back, you have to make eye contact with them before you can attack them.
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Dead Warriors Walking?   Dead Warriors Walking? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 9:02 pm

^what he said. Cool
Back to top Go down
Alacian

Alacian

PostSubject: Re: Dead Warriors Walking?   Dead Warriors Walking? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 9:32 pm

Karion D'Learive wrote:
Phoxly wrote:

Not quite my idea bud. The game in question is called a Highlander Tourney. Not really a tournament, just the name. As Phoxly said it, once you kill someone you run the blade of your weapon along their neck and say something witty, like with Highlander "There can be only one." in this game you have to use a bladed weapon, no clubs. The only way to start a battle between two people was to make eye contact with them. You can not hit people in the back, you have to make eye contact with them before you can attack them.

We've played this.
Back to top Go down
Karion D'Learive

Karion D'Learive

PostSubject: Re: Dead Warriors Walking?   Dead Warriors Walking? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 1:43 am

Of that i have no doubt my dear i was just clarifying what Phoxly was saying.
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Dead Warriors Walking?   Dead Warriors Walking? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 3:22 pm

Yeah my memory failed me on the exact rules of the game.
Back to top Go down
Surt

Surt

PostSubject: Re: Dead Warriors Walking?   Dead Warriors Walking? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 11:59 pm

i have never been to an event that forced you to "play dead". i feel the one elbow on the ground rule is quite ridiculous if anyone forced me to lay on the ground in summer heat(when most events are held) would get a swift kick in the arse. playing dead is part of the roleplaying aspect of the game. its up to the individual. if you want to dramatize your death? go for it! it does make the game funner for everyone. but don't chastize those who don't. its not their thing and thats fine. occasionally if someone kills me in a particularl cool way i will totally act like i died and fall to the ground. but most times i don't. thats time that i can use to get back to the respawn and get back to the game. i don't like to lose and i use every second i can.

-surt king
Back to top Go down
https://baraddun.forumotion.net
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Dead Warriors Walking?   Dead Warriors Walking? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 12:11 am

In some game modes sitting down when you are dead helps alot, like in Kill the King (where as the king would have to come to you and resurect you, instead of vice versa). However sitting/kneeling is actually how most headshots happen. I was spear fighting someone last practice and tried to jab them in the chest/stomach but someone else ran in and hit them in the leg, and they knelt down promptly as I nailed them in the face Sad

Ditch Battles should DEFINITELY be a game mode where you sit down when you die, this way there is no confusion as to who died last round and has to cross over, and who's left alive. I did hear "Who's left alive? Anyone on that team?" a few times during last practice. Even with headbands when everyone is standing around looking exhausted its not enough to have a sword on your head.
Back to top Go down
barrikaide

PostSubject: Re: Dead Warriors Walking?   Dead Warriors Walking? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 4:32 pm

I do not think Semtater was playing dead. I think he fell and i tripped/pushed over him. either way its about the same thing. in games where there is no respawn i dont see a problem with lying down. I know in LA they want you to die with Style. But like surt says 110degrees later just let me go wait in the shade hehe.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dead Warriors Walking?   Dead Warriors Walking? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dead Warriors Walking?
Page 1 of 1