Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

Making a Red

Go down 
+3
konradr
caretaker
barrikaide
7 posters
AuthorMessage
barrikaide

Making a Red Empty
PostSubject: Making a Red   Making a Red I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 10:12 am

Looking for some tips for my next attempt at a weapon.

Call me old fashion but i will be using PVC. I was wondering what size? If i make a sword it will be cut at around 50inches and if i make a polearm it will be cut at 8ft. So is 1inch good enough or do i have to go bigger?

Im worried about flex and durabilty.

I know Kurn will say make a polearm and not use PVC but i like pvc its cheap and it works Smile
Back to top Go down
caretaker

caretaker

Making a Red Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Red   Making a Red I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 1:10 pm

Yeah, others are right, making a red out of PVC is just asking for flex issues. However, I've seen people take dowels that fit down the PVC, but they have to fit real real tight, then the person who I seen doing this, Gorilla glued the hell out of the dowels, shoved it down the hole and let is sit for a few days. But still, It will end up breaking down again and it will end up heavy. I think you could do this with another piece of smaller PVC also.

I don't know of any other red core alternatives that have the cheapness of PVC and the quality of Band shop.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/thomasalesterayers?re
konradr

konradr

Making a Red Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Red   Making a Red I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 4:17 pm

Lowes sells schedule 80 PVC pipe in like 1 inch diameter with really thick walls like 10 feet long. I was checking it out. It does have some flex, but its a thick as piece of PVC. It cost like 10 bucks though. I'd say for about a 5 foot weapon, might work ok. Check it out at Lowes.

I like PVC too but fiberglass is lighter and stronger.

Kornadr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
K'urn

K'urn

Making a Red Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Red   Making a Red I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 6:20 pm

LOL. Yes Barrikaide.
Konradr is right, bande shoppe poles are much more durable, and you can get them for around the same price.

If you are intent on using PVC. I suggest going to the hardware store and actually looking at the pipe. Try to flex it, just remember that it will flex a whole lot more once the weight of the foam is on it.

K-
Back to top Go down
barrikaide

Making a Red Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Red   Making a Red I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 3:07 am

bandshopp is pricey with shipping
Back to top Go down
Knubbs

Knubbs

Making a Red Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Red   Making a Red I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 4:12 am

we had a order a while back for bandshoppe poles.

Taco and Konradr would know more about our source.
Back to top Go down
Surt

Surt

Making a Red Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Red   Making a Red I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 7:44 am

if you go with pvc u might want to lean towards a more minimum red length.

king
Back to top Go down
https://baraddun.forumotion.net
Smithy
Admin
Smithy

Making a Red Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Red   Making a Red I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 4:17 pm

I have a min red core I will bring to practice for you to check out. The weapon just needs to be refoamed.
Back to top Go down
K'urn

K'urn

Making a Red Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Red   Making a Red I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 6:34 pm

Thats why its good to get other people in on your order.

K-
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Making a Red Empty
PostSubject: Re: Making a Red   Making a Red I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Making a Red
Page 1 of 1