Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

Hoplitodromos

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
konradr

konradr

Hoplitodromos Empty
PostSubject: Hoplitodromos   Hoplitodromos I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 9:11 am

Anyone know what "Hoplitodromos" means? Well, since you're all google savvy, I won't bother waiting for an answer.

Let me give you a visual clue, since I like graphics, then I'll give you Konradr's latest history lesson and then why I'm bringing it all up.

Hoplitodromos N10_w
Hoplitodromos 536px-Hoplitodromos_Staatliche_Antikensammlungen_1471

The Hoplitodromos literal translation is "Race of the Soldiers" but is most commonly known as the armored race. Unlike myth, they did not run fully armored only with helmet and shield. The Greeks were always a fitness and sport loving culture. They trained for war and for atlhetic contests (Creators of the Olympic games) Running, and wrestling were as important as field drills and weapon's training. When clashes with the ever expanding Persians began to take place this penchant for physical fitness and for wearing heavy armor, proved an irresistable asset.

When the Persians landed a massive army at Marathon in 490 BC to punish Athens for interfering in Persian affairs in Asia Minor (Greek colonies in what is now Turkey) Athens put 10,000 of her Hoplites (Armored spearmen who operated in a shield wall known as a Phalanx) against them. They were heavily outnumbered none the less, by the Persians. They waited 10 days for their Greek Allies, led by Sparta, to come help, then knew it was time to act when the Persians sent a force by ship to attack the city from the sea while the main army was at Marathon.

The difference between the Greek way of war and the Persians was the Armored spearman. The Greeks believed in a straight up fight, close ranks, and hit em hard. Armor, big shields and a tight, disciplined formation was what worked in that kind of fight. The Persian infantry had swords and spears, but they were also bowmen. They believed firmly in Archery as the key. They would put volley after volley into an enemy from a distance and when that enemy had been weakend, they would then attack, but normally it was their cavalry doing the attacking. The Persian infantry had little body armor outside of padded cloth, and their shields were light, made of a core of wickerwork and leather.

Miltiades, the Athenian general in charge on that fateful 10th day, had fought Persians before. He ordered his men into the attack. Once they got within bowshot of the Persians (about 400 meters) he ordered the charge and the Greeks ran. This meant they would not be subjected to as many arrows as a slow moving line. It also meant their entire mass would slam into the lightly armored ranks of the Persians with fury. It worked, and the Greeks won the day, massacring Persians by the hundreds. The Persians broke and ran for their ships.

To glorify this feat, the Greeks added a race to their Olympic games, the Hoplitodromos. It was a 400 meter sprint in Helmet and Shield. Training for this race was also good army training and it was incorporated into both the gym and the parade ground.

Greek races were very physical affairs. You were alowed to beat/bash/trip/bite/gouge your competitors in order to win. Winning was everything and all was fair play to the Greeks.

So, why do I bring this up? You know me by now. Very Happy We can incorporate the Armored run into our practice or Althing. As far as practice, its good excercise as well as a stamina test. Its also a little friendly competition. If we hold an offical one at Althing, we can have some kind of prize for the winner of the Barad'dun Hoplitodromos (or Armored run).

There are 4 types of runs:

1. The Sprint.
2. There and Back.
3. Endurance.
4. Combat run.

1. THE SPRINT.

An Archer/herald stands at the end of a nice open field. He lets fly an arrow as far as he can. Where the arrow lands is the starting point. All contestants line up along that point. Contestants carry shields only. (they must have a shield to run)

Hoplitodromos Hoplit10

The Archer/herald says "All Hoplites to the line." When all are lined up, he yells "Hoplites Ready..." then he says "Set..." Then, "GO!"

The Hoplites sprint. The first to pass the Archer/herald wins. Other heralds may be helpful at the start and especially at the finish line. The finish line being the Archer.

The Hoplites may:

a. Shield bash/check eachother if they are side by side or to the front of a competitor. Not behind.
b. Body check a competitior if they are side by side.
c. Reach out and yank/push/shove/hold back a competitior by the arms, shoulders or shield.

The Hoplits may not:

d. Shield bash/check an competitor from behind.
e. Trip a competitor with their legs/feet.
f. Grapple in anyway.

2. THERE AND BACK.

The set up is the same as in the Sprint, only the Hoplites must run past the Archer/herald, then turn around and run back. The start line is the finish line. All other rules apply.

3. ENDURANCE.

The rules are the same, but the race is around a large grass field, as close to the actual 400 meters as can be found (For instance a run around the baseball diamonds or on the flat field they usually play soccer/lacrosse/football on) The runners must stay on grass if possible. No physical contact on non-grass surfaces.

Designate the Start/finish line. Its an endurance run.

4. COMBAT RUN.

The Set up is the same as in the first two runs. An Archer let's fly with an arrow as far as he can. This is the start line. The hoplites set up there. The difference is, as many archers, rock throwers and Javelin throwers as can be had, are positioned along the finish line.

This race is run without any physical contact between the competitors. After "Go" the archers and other missile throwers try to kill the runners before they cross the finish line. Limbs count, you can loose your shield, and still run. You can loose a leg and must run on your knees. You can loose both legs (Piercing rules) and you must roll. Normal kills and you are out of the race. Shields can block arrows as can helmets if runners wish to wear them.

Competition:

The Sprint is the basic race for competition, or the There and Back; however all four can be run for competition with some kind of prize or at least a hearty Huzzah for the winner.

If we have this race at Althing, we could do it like on a 1 month, alternating months or like a 3 month cycle and I could paint up another sash for the winner that can be passed on with each new winner. The winner, however, can race again and thus keep it.

Konradr cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Smithy
Admin
Smithy

Hoplitodromos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hoplitodromos   Hoplitodromos I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 8:06 am

I like this. Alot.
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Hoplitodromos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hoplitodromos   Hoplitodromos I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 6:55 am

Let's do it.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Phoxly

Phoxly

Hoplitodromos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hoplitodromos   Hoplitodromos I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 7:52 pm

Sounds good for the Althing, not something I'd want to do at normal practices though. (:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hoplitodromos Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hoplitodromos   Hoplitodromos I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hoplitodromos
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Barad'Dun The Western Tower :: General News-
Jump to: