Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

Sore all over

Go down 
+5
Smithy
Phoxly
Izmiranna Peregrine
konradr
Hollister
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Hollister

Hollister

Sore all over Empty
PostSubject: Sore all over   Sore all over I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2011 8:21 am

Okay, maybe 14 years of sitting in front of a computer really is bad for you.

Every week I go to practice, and every week I discover a new type of injury.

However, yesterday's was the best;

I managed to give myself a minor sprain in my left foot, all swollen up now, but not too bad.

The top of my right foot is painfully tender. No visible bruising, so that must have been from a padded weapon.

My left wrist is seriously hurting, and some swelling is present. I jammed it punch-blocking a particularly heavy hit from Dante.

My right wrist just hurts. Not as bad as the left, so I think I just wore it out.

Add in the new sunburns (not too upset about the burns... I'm seriously in need of extensive tanning), and the various bruises on my back, arms and hands (still have a welt from someone to remind me to block better), and I am pretty beat up old man.

So, I need the UFC gloves. My wrists are totally telling me that. Everyone warned me, and I was broke so I didn't get them, and now I understand completely why they are necessary. Not just the theory, but I know the practical side as well.

But... any ideas on how to fix the ankle issues? Are there wraps or braces or something I can get to prevent sprains?
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Sore all over Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore all over   Sore all over I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2011 8:52 am

Good set of ankle high hiking boots works.

My problems were always the knees more than anything else. I could run when I first started Dag, but several bad hypertension twists to the knees and they're shot. Take care of your body now with as much protection as you can get and you'll last longer.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Izmiranna Peregrine

Izmiranna Peregrine

Sore all over Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore all over   Sore all over I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2011 3:24 pm

Okies Hollister...

The wraps that I wear on my feet and ankles are more functional than for looks. Very Happy

Around my feet: it protects me from bee stings, sharp things left on the field by other people throughout the week, and helps lower the possibility of spraining your foot (you know that awful pain that runs from under the arch of your foot to the top of your foot? that pain).

Around my ankle/leg: wrapping here, if done correctly, will help support your ankle from possible spraining and provide that little bit of extra padding against the low hits on the legs.

Combat boots are a great way to help support your ankles and help protect your feet/lower legs from wild or hard hits. Protect the bottom of your feet from anything that could be on the field throughout the week.

Sports store also carry foot/ankle wraps (think my wraps, but they are elastic and only a few of them are adjustable). They are only as thick as elastic and wouldn't really help against wild/heavy hitting to that area. Unless you want to spend a fair amount of money and get the thick adjustable wraps, which are usually black in colour and the tags on them are easily removable.

-Izmiranna Peregrine pirat gfxlovers.com/smilies
Pirate Viking or Viking Pirate...?

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001046867423
Phoxly

Phoxly

Sore all over Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore all over   Sore all over I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2011 4:45 pm

Taco gave me and Templar some REALLY good wrist exercises that have helped me out a lot. Maybe we can do a group stretch next week.
Back to top Go down
Smithy
Admin
Smithy

Sore all over Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore all over   Sore all over I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2011 5:30 pm

Stretching should always be done before any exercise. When RA practice was in full swing with Surt stretching came first and we did it as a group. So, it might be advisable to break down by Units and stretch before practice. That way Unit leaders know that their people are taken care of.
Back to top Go down
Anita-Uriel

Anita-Uriel

Sore all over Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore all over   Sore all over I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2011 5:59 pm

what about those of us who arent in groups? *stretches under emo tree* lol jk, but I actually planned on stretching yesterday but forgot. I learned some really good stretches for swim team, mostly from preventing cramps in the legs though, so more legs stretches than anything. and back.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=2269733265626&a
Izmiranna Peregrine

Izmiranna Peregrine

Sore all over Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore all over   Sore all over I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2011 6:02 pm

I can lead the Merc group for stretching if need be... or the mercs can just jump into a group for stretching... either way works.

-Izmiranna Peregrine pirat gfxlovers.com/smilies
Pirate Viking or Viking Pirate...?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001046867423
Grek

Grek

Sore all over Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore all over   Sore all over I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2011 6:21 pm

Rub some dirt on it, you'll be fine.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=647767959
Hollister

Hollister

Sore all over Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore all over   Sore all over I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 6:29 am

Thanks all. Stretching is starting to sound like a good idea. I'm gonna look into either grabbing some boots or using the wraps. Tight budget this week, but hopefully things will pick up soon. In the meantime, I have plenty of old shirts laying around... maybe I could make some wraps out of those.

And Grek, did you see all the falls I took? Believe me, I was pretty much covered in a thin layer of grass and dirt. Rolling Eyes

Hopefully I'll perform better during the raid.... Surprised
Back to top Go down
Hollister

Hollister

Sore all over Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore all over   Sore all over I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 6:29 am

Thanks all. Stretching is starting to sound like a good idea. I'm gonna look into either grabbing some boots or using the wraps. Tight budget this week, but hopefully things will pick up soon. In the meantime, I have plenty of old shirts laying around... maybe I could make some wraps out of those.

And Grek, did you see all the falls I took? Believe me, I was pretty much covered in a thin layer of grass and dirt. Rolling Eyes

Hopefully I'll perform better during the raid.... Surprised
Back to top Go down
Hollister

Hollister

Sore all over Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore all over   Sore all over I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 6:30 am

Oh, neat. I now know how to double post.... Suspect I think.
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

Sore all over Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore all over   Sore all over I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 2:38 pm

Back to top Go down
Prysm Stormfallen

Prysm Stormfallen

Sore all over Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore all over   Sore all over I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 3:47 pm

HAAHAA! Nice one Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

Sore all over Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore all over   Sore all over I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 4:35 pm

We love our newbies though. Very Happy especially the zealous ones who keep trying to kill Taco, someone's gotta keep him on his toes.
Back to top Go down
Hollister

Hollister

Sore all over Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore all over   Sore all over I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 7:25 pm

Dunno... I think I am going to have to lay off Taco for a minute... too many injuries, so he got lucky! Razz
Back to top Go down
Hollister

Hollister

Sore all over Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore all over   Sore all over I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 7:32 pm

Phoxly, that music video was funny as hell! lol!
Back to top Go down
Taco

Taco

Sore all over Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore all over   Sore all over I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 7:33 pm

lolz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sore all over Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sore all over   Sore all over I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sore all over
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Barad'Dun The Western Tower :: Real Life-
Jump to: