Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

Can you take a hit? Fitness tips.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Surt

Surt

Can you take a hit? Fitness tips. Empty
PostSubject: Can you take a hit? Fitness tips.   Can you take a hit? Fitness tips. I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 5:48 am

konradr wrote:
A good way to train your body to take a hit is using the Boxer's medicine ball drill.

One or two people and one medicine ball. You can use a lighter 5 or 8lb ball one handed, or a heavier 12-15lb ball two handed. The two of you stand a few feet apart and lob or throw the ball at eachother's torso. Let the ball hit you, tense your muscles before the hit, take the hit, then when the ball rebounds, catch it and toss it back at your partner. Do it over and over, varying the parts hit. It works. The throwing motions also work the arm muscles for 'throwing or swinging' such as sword movements.

You can also throw the smaller medicine ball with your partner catching it in his hands and throwing back. Good hand/eye work as well as working those sword and shield muscles.

I have done this with my son and it works and is fun.

You can also do it by yourself. Lay down on a matt, and just toss the ball in the air and let it land on your torso, catch it before it rolls away and toss again and again.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
https://baraddun.forumotion.net
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: Can you take a hit? Fitness tips.   Can you take a hit? Fitness tips. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 7:37 pm

I took a year and a half of fencing at UNLV starting in 1998. I had an old school Russian coach. One of the best overall fitness excercises you can do as a fencer and probably any type of Sword fighting, is....wait for it...guess?

Jump roping! Yep. Boxers swear by it, and so can you. As a matter of fact, a few boxers have used extensive jump roping in place of some of their roadwork (running).

Jumping rope works your arms and muscles and in a constant rotation. You can spin front and change up spinning back.

Jumping rope works your 'springs' that is, not just your leg muscles but your 'spring' ie your explosive movement muscles. Jumping coils them bad boys up so you can burst into action in any direction when needed.

Jumping rope works your cardiovascular for more energy.

Like doing roadwork you can jump rope for time in order to build stamina. I'm talking about 20 to 30 minutes or even an hour. You don't have to jump in place, you can jog while jumping. We did it in fencing class.

We usually warmed up with jump rope. You do it in place, after a few minutes you stop but you swing your rope in circles, left and then right, and back, to rest, then back to jumping. If you don't understand what I said, I'd have to show you in a video or something but I haven't jumped in years so if I demonstrate its just for us and not for the world, no linking!

You can switch it up anyway you want to as long as you put in the time. Jog forward, jog backward, do both feet, do one foot at a time. There was one move that was really difficult that I couldn't do but thankfully I can't remember what it was. Both feet up while the rope passes twice??? I can't remember.

Anyhow, the key is to do it and do it for a long time. Jump rope is a great way to warm up before practice too.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Surt

Surt

PostSubject: Re: Can you take a hit? Fitness tips.   Can you take a hit? Fitness tips. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 2:16 am

i agree its a great workout!
Back to top Go down
https://baraddun.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can you take a hit? Fitness tips.   Can you take a hit? Fitness tips. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can you take a hit? Fitness tips.
Page 1 of 1