Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

The Western Realms

Go down 
+2
Surt
konradr
6 posters
AuthorMessage
konradr

konradr

The Western Realms Empty
PostSubject: The Western Realms   The Western Realms I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 6:31 pm

I'm going to start posting things I read up on about the 'goings on' in our region of Dagorhir and Belegarth. I will include both as much as I can. The folks in California (Aggelgorod and now Mallenorod) have been around a long, long time and are trying to push growth in the region to include a large scale event for all Western realms, such as a Western version of "ragnarock". Here is some postings I found from Khan Vaida (The Aggelgorod leader) on their forum:

Quote :
So Ulfblood was suggesting sites for a Western Rag:

couple things yall.....1..taked with Scarlet at GWW, abd we were brainstorming on areas where to have a large scale event on the west coast/////He mentioned having access throught the LA airport,.....personaly if we used the rno airpost as a hub, and had the event outside Reno somewhere ( I have talked with several people and have many site looked up and availible that would work for a rag sized event) either the Navada area/or Cali bourders........

I agree that the site would need to eventually meet all of the criteria above, but in truth, the most important thing the event must achieve is only TWO THINGS:

1) It has to be a good overnight event available to all realms.
2) It has to be predictable and consistent every year.

That's it. It doesn't have to be big, it doesn't have to have a budget, it doesn't have to be a week, it doesn't even need a schedule! It only has to be a good event that everyone knows is going to happen every year. Eventually the word will get around that it's a good event to attend and when it gets too big to handle in the original location, it can move and get a committee to handle it. Let's simply plan a good overnight event and promote the crap out of it. After we've all had a great time we'll talk about what went right and what went wrong.

That being said, I do like the idea of looking around the Reno area, but we need boots on the ground to check out sites. Mt. Pinos north of LA is a proven location for a summer event for as many as 100 as long as everyone registers as individual campers, but it is no long term solution. Any other thoughts for overnights?

- Khan Vaida

This is a subsequent post from Kyrax, who is the leader of Mallenorod (Norther California realm) who, by the way, will be in Barad'Dun territory on February 13-14 and it would be nice if we could all meet up with him and show him some Barad'Dun Hostility, oh, I mean hospitality.

Quote :
Vaida has good points, and I'd like to emphasize them:

1) Start with an event for us west coasters to go to - something within a reasonable drive for Ulfblood's folks up in Yreka and the new Oregon chapter (which we haven't connected to yet), as well as the folks in southern Aggelgorod, etc. Being accessible to airports and the like is nice, but again, let's focus on driving distances for California/Oregon/Nevada folks.

2) A weekend or overnight event is where we should start planning. Ragnarok started as a 3 day event and ran that way for years (I remember the first time we arrived on Thursday - ooh, 4 days).

3) Schedule? Sure - show up, check weapons, fight. Oh, and pitch a tent at some point. Then eat and re-hydrate, and tell lies about how awesome you and the other guy were. Rinse, repeat, and pack up, go home.

Mt. Pinos sounds like a fine idea for a summer campout. Let's start thinking and planning for that. But I'd also like to do some things in the Spring. So here in Mallenorod we're going to be looking for a camping site at regional state parks and set something up, hopefully soon. We had 45 people at our Invasion battle and want to harness that energy.

We should all be seeking out private campgrounds and state parks that will allow a largish group to rent some semi-private spot for an event. We need a place to camp, an open field preferably to fight in, some woods or other terrain would be nice too. Water and bathroom access are important, but don't have to be right where we are. Showers, swimming spots and so on are nice to haves, but for a weekend we can rough it (a little).

As for what to think about, off the top of my head I'm thinking maybe 3 or so weekend events this coming year, one each season: Spring (Mallenorod or foothills east of Rt 99 in April?); Summer (Mt. Pinos? in July-Aug?); and Fall (Sept or Columbus Day weekend?) that we'll all try to make it to. Each region (chapter) could also host its own campouts or weekend events in between, trying to avoid conflicts with those seasonal events and biggies like Ragnarok (June 13-20). Note, those suggestions for dates or sites are pure spitballing, take with a large grain of salt.

Another thought is to throw a weekend of chapter battles so that those who make a trek to get there could justify the trip. If some folks offer crash space or point you at cheapo but clean motel rooms, it can be a lot of fun even without camping. Eons ago I used to make the trip on Memorial Day weekend to the Cleveland area when Pentwyvern and their neighbors (now a part of Einherjar) would alternate as hosts for day battles on Saturday and Sunday. The realms or someone would have a post-battle cookout, and you had the holiday monday for recovery or returning home. I seem to remember meeting a young Wil Scarlet at one of those events...

Food for thought as we, Barad'Dun, grow.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Surt

Surt

The Western Realms Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Western Realms   The Western Realms I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 8:15 pm

excellent Intel konrad! a western "RAGNAROK" event would be incredible. and welcomed since a lot of people can't make it to the normal rag every years.
Back to top Go down
https://baraddun.forumotion.net
Alacian

Alacian

The Western Realms Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Western Realms   The Western Realms I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 8:37 pm

Surt wrote:
excellent Intel konrad! a western "RAGNAROK" event would be incredible. and welcomed since a lot of people can't make it to the normal rag every years.

I agree. I'd be up for attending a western rag. I think it sounds like a lot of fun.
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

The Western Realms Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Western Realms   The Western Realms I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 5:48 am

I'd be up for it for sure.
Back to top Go down
Knubbs

Knubbs

The Western Realms Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Western Realms   The Western Realms I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 6:57 am

something like....

Dune Wars

Battle of Sin

Desert Siege

i can keep em coming if you want.... Smile
Back to top Go down
Strider

Strider

Location : Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: lolololololololololol roflcopterswaswaswa

The Western Realms Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Western Realms   The Western Realms I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 9:03 am

This is bloody brilliant I'll say at the least. I really hope something like this follows through. Keep up the good intelligence work Konradr! Cool
Back to top Go down
Tati

The Western Realms Empty
PostSubject: West Coast (Northern California) Events   The Western Realms I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 2:33 pm

Hi All,

I happened to come across this thread while randomly Googling my realm (Mallenorod). Our first battle was back in May and we had about 50 people show up. Our next battle starts next Friday the 17th, so I'll keep you guys posted on how that one goes. You're welcome to join us if you can show up with such short notice.

I also wanted to put it out there that the two California Dagorhir realms (Mallenorod and Aggelgorod) met last month to discuss a three day Ragnarok-type event we're calling The War of Silica Vale II. It's currently scheduled for April 29th through May 1st, 2011 at Ed Levin County Park in Milpitas, CA. We have almost the entire Elm Group Area reserved, and are even looking into having vendors at this event! We're hoping for close to 100 people show up, we currently have commitments from Aggelgorod and the Yreka, CA branch of Mallenorod. Anduril (Southern CA Belgarth) and Salamandstrom (Santa Cruz, CA Belgarth) will likely be sending people. Hopefully you'll be able to make it as well!

Mallenorod has a group on Facebook now that we're keeping updated with our current events (our website is still a bit of a work in progress). If you want any additional information, feel free to message any of the admins of the group.

- Tati Usu
Lieutenant Commander of The Valley Militia, Dagorhir Mallenorod
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Western Realms Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Western Realms   The Western Realms I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Western Realms
Page 1 of 1