Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

Arrow Design [Discusison]

Go down 
+3
Morlock
Smithy
Phoxly
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Phoxly

Phoxly

Arrow Design [Discusison] Empty
PostSubject: Arrow Design [Discusison]   Arrow Design [Discusison] I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 10:11 pm

I've helped make a bundle of arrows in the past with Katie from Shannara but I was wondering if anyone has heard of any good light arrow designs? I want to make some modular arrows (similar to the ktis on best dag stuff).

I'd probably start with a pvc pipe that would go over the top of the arrow, then use pvc pipe insulation around that, and duct tape the top of the arrow shaft til it was snug inside the pvc (then dap the seam + duct tape) I heard this was a good method in case the arrow breaks you can easily re move th ehead and re-attach it to another one.

I found a supposedly durable/light arrow design on the dag forums but the link to it is broken =/
Back to top Go down
Smithy
Admin
Smithy

PostSubject: Re: Arrow Design [Discusison]   Arrow Design [Discusison] I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 5:26 am

I have a partially finished modular arrow head from best dag stuff. I'll bring it to practice tomorrow. You can actually reproduce it locally and save yourself some money.
Back to top Go down
Morlock

Morlock

PostSubject: Re: Arrow Design [Discusison]   Arrow Design [Discusison] I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 5:30 am

Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Arrow Design [Discusison]   Arrow Design [Discusison] I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 5:40 am

Smithy wrote:
I have a partially finished modular arrow head from best dag stuff. I'll bring it to practice tomorrow. You can actually reproduce it locally and save yourself some money.

Sweet! Alacian said you were the archery guy I mistook Surt for D= I sent him a PM asking about his arrows.. never got a reply haha
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Arrow Design [Discusison]   Arrow Design [Discusison] I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 5:42 am

Morlock wrote:
Check it:
http://www.geddon.org/index.php/Constructing_Arrows

Neat guide actually. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
K'urn

K'urn

PostSubject: Re: Arrow Design [Discusison]   Arrow Design [Discusison] I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 6:43 pm

Oddly enough, I'm working on a new arrow design. Along with an Archery guild.
I will post both a soon as things are finalized.

K-
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Arrow Design [Discusison]   Arrow Design [Discusison] I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 6:45 pm

Smithy showed me a really neat design using a water noodle floation device as the base of the arrow's modular part, he'd have to show a diagram of it, but its really cool and its firm enough to be shaved/shaped using a file.
Back to top Go down
Morlock

Morlock

PostSubject: Re: Arrow Design [Discusison]   Arrow Design [Discusison] I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 7:39 pm

K'urn wrote:
I'm working on a new arrow design.

Wouldn't be one of those round faced arrows I hear so much about would it?

Or would it be a PD stream line base?

Or a combination of a round face on a stream line base that is also modular?
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Arrow Design [Discusison]   Arrow Design [Discusison] I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 7:55 pm

I have seen quite a bit of buzz on round faced arrows lately Ozgog on the dag forums (I think thats his name) swears by them and last I heard they were hoping to get them aproved by the council (I also think there is a council... haha)

I'm not gonna touch archery for a few weeks I think, I feel as green as I am with fighting getting even more passive with archery would just hold me back from being a well rounded fighter who can focus on one particular skillset if I want later.
Back to top Go down
Morlock

Morlock

PostSubject: Re: Arrow Design [Discusison]   Arrow Design [Discusison] I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 10:01 pm

I've seen Oznog's Arrows before and I would not want to take one to the face.
Back to top Go down
K'urn

K'urn

PostSubject: Re: Arrow Design [Discusison]   Arrow Design [Discusison] I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 4:19 pm

Not to mention the equipment that he uses to make them is really expensive.

K-
Back to top Go down
K'urn

K'urn

PostSubject: Re: Arrow Design [Discusison]   Arrow Design [Discusison] I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 4:20 pm

Morlock wrote:

Or a combination of a round face on a stream line base that is also modular?

All of this ....but no round face.
....and CHEAP!

K-
Back to top Go down
Morlock

Morlock

PostSubject: Re: Arrow Design [Discusison]   Arrow Design [Discusison] I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 6:32 pm

I hope cheap doesn't mean pool noodle bases. They last a few months of heavy use then they start to fall apart. With an arrow or jav, you want a solid base.

I also hope cheap doesn't mean low quality open cell like couch cushions or PD's covers.

I also hope cheap does mean you keep the penny Wink
Back to top Go down
Morlock

Morlock

PostSubject: Re: Arrow Design [Discusison]   Arrow Design [Discusison] I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 6:46 pm

BTW, if you want a round face on your arrows you use a small amount of spray glue to the face of an arrow and use a small poof ball (cut in half) on said face. Apply cover.

For me, a stream line base is a solid base that extends about 2-3 inches further down the shaft. Taking a metal wire, heating it, then using said hot wire to carve out an angle on the base. Once cool, a small amount of PD at the connection point seals the deal.

With a curved head and a lightly PD base the arrow flies better than most. Only drag issues is from the wind permeating the open cell head. I also use 'Bird Fletchings' (helical fletching) to increase the range and accuracy of the arrow.
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Arrow Design [Discusison]   Arrow Design [Discusison] I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 7:05 pm

Pool noodle bases are really easy to stream line using the same carving techniques, but I dont think they break down that fast really. >__< I like the idea of em, but I haven't gotten to compare them to other arrow types. Most people use pvc pipe insulation or something like that.

The arrow design from BestDagStuff.com was pretty much pool noodle base with evalite I think...
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: Arrow Design [Discusison]   Arrow Design [Discusison] I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 7:22 pm

The Edhellen ones I got, used like glued layers of velora or some such closed cell foam to make the circular base which was about an inch and a half or two inches long. Then one disc of velora and one disc of blue camp mat foam for the cap's above the base, then a square of dense, charcoal colored open cell foam for the tip. That was it. Hot glue and a 1/2inc PEX pipe, Duct Tape, a penny, some strapping tape, cloth tape and cloth are whats needed to finish the modular design.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Morlock

Morlock

PostSubject: Re: Arrow Design [Discusison]   Arrow Design [Discusison] I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 7:48 pm

Edhellen uses 1/2" Eva foam, pre-glued by the factory into a 2" sheet. They then use a drill bit to cut out the round sections and then drill the penny hole.

The same can be done using blue foam.

pipe insulation and fun noodle breaks down to quickly in full contact fighting. Give me an Amt noodle sword and I'll kill the blade in a week, the core a month. Give me a fiberglass core, sammy sword from Dag and I'll need a re-blade in a month and a new core in 5 months. Give me a fiberglass core, box sword from Bel and I'll need a new box in two months and a new core in 5 months.
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Arrow Design [Discusison]   Arrow Design [Discusison] I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 7:51 pm

Maybe my next paycheck (around the 5th) I'll get some quality arrow materials. Very Happy

^@Morlock how fast could you break down a square fibreglass core sword with valerian foam o.0 -hugs his new camp foamy sword tightly-
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: Arrow Design [Discusison]   Arrow Design [Discusison] I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 8:08 pm

The morale of this tale, Don't let Morlock or Sasquatch play with your things.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Arrow Design [Discusison]   Arrow Design [Discusison] I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 8:13 pm

ROFL no kidding. There are very few things in our realm that are squatch-proof.
Back to top Go down
Morlock

Morlock

PostSubject: Re: Arrow Design [Discusison]   Arrow Design [Discusison] I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 8:18 pm

About 2-3 months of heavy use. (Keep in mind that is fighting 5+ hours every day of those 2-3 months) It also depends on the build. Did you use tabs or PD on the core? Because it is a square core and not round there is a smaller chance of spinning the core out, but one can still 'core' the sword if the foam were to separate from the core. The blade might wear out faster depending on how the user fights with it. Example; If I use a lot of power shots using just the tip, then the tip foam will degrade faster.
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Arrow Design [Discusison]   Arrow Design [Discusison] I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 8:45 pm

Tabs or PD? I spiralled some hockey tape down the core before I dapped valorian to it (first layer) and the rest is blue foam. I barely get 5+ hours a week of fighting, so I bet it lasts a few months. Its also my first weapon I made on my own (with directions/tips from Taco+Knubbs+Kilanos+Smithy+Konradr+More)
Back to top Go down
Morlock

Morlock

PostSubject: Re: Arrow Design [Discusison]   Arrow Design [Discusison] I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 9:02 pm

Congratulation on your first build.

Tabs are cloth tape that create a tail off the blade edges of the core and sandwiched between blade layers.

PD is Plasti Dip, that is applied between blade layers. It is a LONG process (took me two days to finish one sword) but it helps the the core last. See the current reports off the Dag boards.
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Arrow Design [Discusison]   Arrow Design [Discusison] I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 10:21 pm

We used the cloth tape for the core but not between layers of foam, atleast I didn't. D:
Back to top Go down
Morlock

Morlock

PostSubject: Re: Arrow Design [Discusison]   Arrow Design [Discusison] I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 10:34 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Arrow Design [Discusison]   Arrow Design [Discusison] I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Arrow Design [Discusison]
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next