Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

Shield cover.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
konradr

konradr

Shield cover. Empty
PostSubject: Shield cover.   Shield cover. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 7:47 am

Hi guys, got a question for you on shield covers. I'll have to be honest and say, it is much easier to construct SCA shields and weapons than foam ones. I decided to take one of my rapier bucklers and transform it into a foam buckler (18 inches across, I read that the minimum is 12") I glued a layer of closed cell foam on first (the walmart camp mat) with DAP. I then took some white upholstering cushions and glued two inches to the front of that. I put closed cell around the edge, topped with the white open cell. My edges still need some work, look a bit crumbly, but the front looks good, if a bit rough cut.
Anyhow, I cut some broadcloth (a dark red) and through it around the shield and tried to stitch it like I've seen in some drawings online. Big failure, and sticky fingers didn't help. (forgot to buy turpentine) My question is, is there anything in the rules that says I can't use a staple gun and staple the cloth cover in place? I used the trusty staple gun and sometimes nails to do the rims on my SCA shields. The buckler originally had an inner tube edge held in place with staples, with a cloth cover over that. I'm sure the cloth might rip away from the staples but I thought I might use alot of staples and glue it down on the inner edge as well to give it some strength. What do you think?
I haven't started on the foam sword yet. I took one of my swim noodle boffers and trimmed off the swim noodle and am going to try to make that sword I saw someone make on youtube.
All things said and done, we got our tax refund back and I now have something rare. A $100 allowance to spend as I please. So should failure ensue, I may join in that order to Edhellen Armoury.

Kurt
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Surt

Surt

Shield cover. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shield cover.   Shield cover. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 4:09 pm

whats the core made from? i assume wood. its ok to staple the cloth to the back. no worries about the sword, we have plenty.
Back to top Go down
https://baraddun.forumotion.net
K'urn

K'urn

Shield cover. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shield cover.   Shield cover. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 8:07 pm

I concur. Staples will be fine however, make sure they aren't to long, so as not to poke through that first layer of closed cell.
K-
Back to top Go down
Strider

Strider

Location : Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: lolololololololololol roflcopterswaswaswa

Shield cover. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shield cover.   Shield cover. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 9:21 pm

Oh God, spiky staple shield bash, lol. Crap that would sting, especially with some momentum Shocked
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Shield cover. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shield cover.   Shield cover. I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 6:58 am

I used up my allowance to buy foam to foam up my round shield. I've got everything but the edges on and wouldn't you know it, I ran out of DAP and that M77 spray glue. GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Sponsored content

Shield cover. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shield cover.   Shield cover. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shield cover.
Page 1 of 1