Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

I totally just registered under 'Sylar'

Go down 
+13
Strider
Smithy
barrikaide
Prysm Stormfallen
Sarabi
Taco
Reverend
Izmiranna Peregrine
konradr
Phoxly
Acrid the Fool
Grek
Sylar
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Sylar

Sylar

I totally just registered under 'Sylar' Empty
PostSubject: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   I totally just registered under 'Sylar' I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 6:00 am

I totally just registered under 'Sylar'. Watcha gonna do about it? >:D
Back to top Go down
Sylar

Sylar

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   I totally just registered under 'Sylar' I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 7:05 am

I was going to wait for a reply before asking my questions, but I'm afraid I'm going to forget them, so here goes;

• Is there an updated list of inventory for loaner weapons, or can someone list what they themselves have so I know what I'll be able to choose from (until I get my own, at least)?
  • Is there an updated calender of events going on outside of the Saturday practices? I see people saying 'oh, come this day', but nothing about them being annual.
  • Throwing weapons. A friend went akimbo against me, and after I cut off his RIGHT arm, he threw his LEFT sword and got me right in the chest. Are there any instances of this here?
  • Healing Poems? Anyone use them? Is there TIME to use them? Anyone have examples of ones that are 180+ syllables?
  • The 'rounds' or 'fights'. How many are there? What kinds are there? How long do they last? How long does the ENTIRE Saturday practice tend to last?
  • Why is it called Saturday 'practice'?
  • On another site, I saw that their weapons had to have a historical counterpart. Does the same rule apply at Dagorhir? Or can we let our imagination reign supreme?
  • My friend's friend went to Barad'Dun before, so my friend heard some rule about akimbo. Are there any?
  • Red weapons can't have green tips?
  • Are there any alterations to the list of rules on the Dagorhir website?
  • Can I speak, like, modern english? One of the reasons I like Barad'Dun is because it's less LARP, more fighting. The whole old english stuff seems a bit weird to me.
  • WHY is a weapon treated as if it's not there if it's in it's sheath?
  • Does it count like it's there if you have a hand on the hilt, rather than fully pulling it out of the sheath?
  • I got my friend in the leg, and he didn't DROP, so I kinda made a half-assed attack for his chest before he was on the ground, and he got pissed. Would this be considered illegal, or even frowned upon?
  • Can I get a guesstimate on the ages of the people attending? How many are 16-18? 20-25? 30+?
  • What qualifies as armor? What modern counterparts can be used to represent it?

You think I'm done? Not even close. I thought of these in like two minutes, I'll be sure to add to the list as I think of more, and cross them out as they're answered.

My friend and I have been dueling/sparring a lot recently with PVC pipe. We just recently added duct tape for added weight/durability, but aside from that, the only protection we have is the fact that we're not hitting full-force. I scarred him up a bit, and he bruised me up some, but nothing that really matters. I'm 16, he's 17, and we're thinking about coming to the next Barad'Dun practice.

Last edited by Sylar on Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:29 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Grek

Grek

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   I totally just registered under 'Sylar' I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 7:30 am

Sylar wrote:
I was going to wait for a reply before asking my questions, but I'm afraid I'm going to forget them, so here goes;

• Is there an updated list of inventory for loaner weapons, or can someone list what they themselves have so I know what I'll be able to choose from (until I get my own, at least)?
  • Is there an updated calender of events going on outside of the Saturday practices? I see people saying 'oh, come this day', but nothing about them being annual.
  • Throwing weapons. A friend went akimbo against me, and after I cut off his RIGHT arm, he threw his LEFT sword and got me right in the chest. Are there any instances of this here?
  • Healing Poems? Anyone use them? Is there TIME to use them? Anyone have examples of ones that are 180+ syllables?
  • The 'rounds' or 'fights'. How many are there? What kinds are there? How long do they last? How long does the ENTIRE Saturday practice tend to last?
  • Why is it called Saturday 'practice'?
  • On another site, I saw that their weapons had to have a historical counterpart. Does the same rule apply at Dagorhir? Or can we let our imagination reign supreme?
  • My friend's friend went to Barad'Dun before, so my friend heard some rule about akimbo. Are there any?
  • Red weapons can't have green tips?
  • Are there any alterations to the list of rules on the Dagorhir website?
  • Speaking of my friend's friend, does anyone know a Brandon Smith?
  • I can't seem to find it, and I'm not sure if it's a touchy subject but...How did Surt die? (PM me if you'd rather not post)
  • Can I speak, like, modern english? One of the reasons I like Barad'Dun is because it's less LARP, more fighting. The whole old english stuff seems a bit weird to me.
  • WHY is a weapon treated as if it's not there if it's in it's sheath?
  • Does it count like it's there if you have a hand on the hilt, rather than fully pulling it out of the sheath?
  • I got my friend in the leg, and he didn't DROP, so I kinda made a half-assed attack for his chest before he was on the ground, and he got pissed. Would this be considered illegal, or even frowned upon?
  • Can I get a guesstimate on the ages of the people attending? How many are 16-18? 20-25? 30+?
  • What qualifies as armor? What modern counterparts can be used to represent it?

You think I'm done? Not even close. I thought of these in like two minutes, I'll be sure to add to the list as I think of more, and cross them out as they're answered.

My friend and I have been dueling/sparring a lot recently with PVC pipe. We just recently added duct tape for added weight/durability, but aside from that, the only protection we have is the fact that we're not hitting full-force. I scarred him up a bit, and he bruised me up some, but nothing that really matters. I'm 16, he's 17, and we're thinking about coming to the next Barad'Dun practice.

Just to answer some of your questions...

[*]Not that I know of. I bring 2-3 loaners and a lot of other peeps bring loaners, especially Izzy and Konvel
[*]Main schedule consists of
Tuesdays: Black Lion Practice 5-9 (all are invited)
Wednesdays: Royal Army Practice (don't know the time)
Saturday: Realm Practice from 12pm-5pm
[*]You cannot legally throw a sword and have it count as a hit. Only designated yellow weapons (javelins and arrows) or white (rocks, headshot only). For all the rules, visit the Dag manual of arms at http://www.dagorhir.com/dagorhir/Rules.htm
[*]No one really uses healing poems but you are welcome to do it
[*]In a 1v1 duel you can either go until first blood or death. A normal Saturday practice is around 5 hours. During that practice we play games like Valhalla, Capture the Flag, Free for All, or do Ditch Battles
[*]Red weapons can definitely have green tips
[*]1 mutual friend with him wtf, Raleigh Mowrer lol
[*]We speak modern english. I've never heard anyone speak true old english on the field, or even the butchered kind. You can speak olde inglisc if you like.
[*]Keep attacking until he calls death. If he doesn't say anything or drop, he's either taking it as a light or grazing hit (which he should announce verbally) or he's sloughing the shot.

Definitely come to the next practice! Glad to have you on board Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=647767959
Sylar

Sylar

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   I totally just registered under 'Sylar' I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 7:40 am

Black Lions practice start during the AM or PM?
What about Raleigh Mowrer?
We were dueling on the street, so it was kind of painful to be on your knees, so you don't exactly DROP. And it's not that he didn't drop, it was just he didn't immediately act like suddenly he didn't have a leg, and I hit him before he had time to. I wondered if there was a sort of honor thing that people would allow him to get down before continuing (which is what we did thereafter) or if it was a more "TOO SLOW!" *slice* kinda thing.
Back to top Go down
Grek

Grek

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   I totally just registered under 'Sylar' I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 7:55 am

Raleigh is a mutual friend to that guy you mentioned, lol.

As for armor, your question can be answered in the rulebook. Same with the historical counterparts.
Back to top Go down
Sylar

Sylar

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   I totally just registered under 'Sylar' I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 8:04 am

Ah. I see nothing saying what armor can be made out of, though it does list metal and leather as well as prohibit the use of plastic or non-period materials. Same with the historical counterparts; it only states what classifies it under red, blue, green etc. Also:
Quote :
5.1.11 - Armor protection against blue weapon strikes is not eliminated due to a previous yellow or two-handed green weapon hit.
Makes no sense to me. Isn't a two-handed green weapon hit already death/delimb?
Back to top Go down
Acrid the Fool

Acrid the Fool

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   I totally just registered under 'Sylar' I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 9:43 am

-Its called "practice" cuz thats what it is, its not a big thing like an event. like weekly practice for football players or FNM to magic players, its there for you to get better.
-dual wielding/florintining/akimbo has all the same rules as using one weapon, except you have two obviously. the only thing i can point out is to not "anvil" your sword against your forearm as many newer players want to do, meaning you cant block shots with your sword while its pressed up against your arm.
-our weapons dont have sheaths, cept arrows aka a quiver.
-shots cant be blocked by sheaths, quivers, weapons, or most other objects because then people would cheese the rules. like making a bunch of weapons and strapping them to the body to make functionally invincible armor
-with taking a leg, i usually say you should be on a knee within a 2 count or a step and a half. we dont want people getting hurt by slamming their knee on the ground too hard or losing their balance and face planting. any shots that hit while you or they are taking a knee are valid and should be taken. there is "posting" rules too meaning instead of taking a knee you may verbally say "post" instead. it is still counted as you losing a limb. while posting you may not move your feet and both legs are valid limb targets.
- you can make whatever weapon/armor you want but it will have to pass our safety tests before it can be used on the field.
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   I totally just registered under 'Sylar' I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 3:46 pm

Any item on the side of the field in our weapon pile with a white stripe on the handle is a loaner. Shields you usually ask someone to use.

-Tooka
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   I totally just registered under 'Sylar' I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 5:51 pm

I think we had 2 or 3 loaners break this last Saturday. They are getting scarce again.

konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   I totally just registered under 'Sylar' I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 6:04 pm

I might pump out 5 new loaners using blade kits and solid fiberglass. They'll be short though, like 26". I'll cover them in flourescent pink. >Smile
Back to top Go down
Grek

Grek

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   I totally just registered under 'Sylar' I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 6:36 pm

People need to stop being lazy and make their own weapons lol
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   I totally just registered under 'Sylar' I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 6:40 pm

Quote :
People need to stop being lazy and make their own weapons lol
and garb up.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   I totally just registered under 'Sylar' I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 7:25 pm

I might make all my loaners short like 25-26" so if people want a longer one they'll have to have one made. We should start asking newbies what kind of garb they like, or what kind of personna they want to portray.
Back to top Go down
Izmiranna Peregrine

Izmiranna Peregrine

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   I totally just registered under 'Sylar' I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2011 8:07 pm

We are doing another garb/weapon/gear build the beginning of Sept. at our place. I'll post the details later this week.

-Izmiranna Peregrine pirat gfxlovers.com/smilies
Pirate Viking or Viking Pirate...?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001046867423
Sylar

Sylar

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   I totally just registered under 'Sylar' I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 2:09 am

I'll make my own sword the moment I get the stuff to do it. It's a matter of actually answering "Yes" when my parents want me to go shopping with them... Which is a lot harder than it sounds, lol
Tooka wrote:
Any item on the side of the field in our weapon pile with a white stripe on the handle is a loaner. Shields you usually ask someone to use.

-Tooka
I'll go without if I have to. In fact, my two preferred methods (out of ones I've tried) are akimbo and sword/shield. If I can't get a shield, I go akimbo! >:D Unless they have, like, other weapons. Then I'll be sure to try everything before deciding on, well, anything particular.
Tooka wrote:
I might make all my loaners short like 25-26" so if people want a longer one they'll have to have one made. We should start asking newbies what kind of garb they like, or what kind of personna they want to portray.
You're evil. I like mine just around 42" ._.
Back to top Go down
Reverend

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   I totally just registered under 'Sylar' I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 3:28 am

Sylar wrote:
I'll go without if I have to. In fact, my two preferred methods (out of ones I've tried) are akimbo and sword/shield. If I can't get a shield, I go akimbo! >Very Happy Unless they have, like, other weapons. Then I'll be sure to try everything before deciding on, well, anything particular.
Tooka wrote:
You're evil. I like mine just around 42" ._.

Flourentine or "flo" to shorten it.

We're not playing Call of Duty.
Back to top Go down
Sylar

Sylar

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   I totally just registered under 'Sylar' I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 3:34 am

He uses the word 'akimbo', and since it's a videogame term that relates to any sort of duel-wield (including melee), I didn't have a problem with it. I'll go ahead and let you guys tell him, because he probably wont accept me changing his terminology :P
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   I totally just registered under 'Sylar' I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 4:05 am

I'd make longer loaners, but I only have 2 8ft cores. If you want a piece of a core just let me know. You might prefer starting with PVC though, but a fiberglass core usually lasts years.
Back to top Go down
Sylar

Sylar

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   I totally just registered under 'Sylar' I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 4:09 am

I found some PVC out in the middle of the desert, and with a little cleaning it should work fine. We should be able to make like four nicely sized swords out of them, once we get the foam and DAP.
Back to top Go down
Sylar

Sylar

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   I totally just registered under 'Sylar' I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 7:19 am

Alright. Back to my old thread. I have a question, but this one might be a bit hard to follow. Say you make a red and a blue sword suited specifically for Florentine, and you design their hilts to form together. If you were to hold both swords with both hands, would it count as a two-handed red strike? Like, if you made each SEPARATE hilt the shape of HALF a hilt, and then when you held the two together it made a whole hilt, albeit the blue sword looking weird when put up against a red one.
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   I totally just registered under 'Sylar' I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 7:27 am

Swinging two swords together does not equal a red unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
Sylar

Sylar

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   I totally just registered under 'Sylar' I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 7:28 am

I'm not talking one in each hand, I'm talking two swords being held together in two hands, while one of them is red.
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   I totally just registered under 'Sylar' I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 7:33 am

That's called "Florentine" style or two swords. A red swung in one hand is treated as a blue. You can not break shields or go through armor if you swing a red with one hand. It can be done, and has been done. I've seen a tournement video where a guy swung two reds florentine. They were both Glaive's at that.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Sylar

Sylar

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   I totally just registered under 'Sylar' I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 7:36 am

I know what Florentine is, and that's sortof what I'm trying to explain. What I'm saying is if you took your hands, interlocked your fingers, and put TWO swords between them, at least one of them red, and swung, would it count as a red? You're holding the red sword with two hands, the only difference being that you're also holding another sword with the same two hands.
EDIT:
I totally just registered under 'Sylar' 359c
Say the first image is what I made the hilts of two separate swords look like. Say the second image is me holding them TOGETHER. Now, if I were to swing with two swords, at least one of them red, while I were holding them like the hilts are in the second image, would it count as a two-handed red weapon?
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   I totally just registered under 'Sylar' I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 27, 2011 7:49 am

I think you are trying to cheese the rules. Ask the King, shepard or Marshall about that. I've never seen it done and don't know if it would be legal or safe.

Just a suggestion, start with the basics and learn for a few months before you try something fancy.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I totally just registered under 'Sylar'   I totally just registered under 'Sylar' I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I totally just registered under 'Sylar'
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next