Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

Shield construction webpages.

Go down 
+4
Isk
Phoxly
Taco
konradr
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Hxctemplar

Hxctemplar

Shield construction webpages. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shield construction webpages.   Shield construction webpages. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 10:10 pm

Isk wrote:
Not sure what your edit means, but to answer the question: Coreless back shields work fine. Tona has been using one very successfully for months now.

I had actually posted first in another forum that talked about different kind of shields, and it wasn't until 10 minutes later I found this thread. Thought my question would be more appropiate here lol

I meant to say, how can you make/put straps into a coreless shield? I'v seen pictures of people who have done it, but havn't explained how. I'm going to be making a Dungeon door punch shield (curved on the top, flat/square at the bottom) and since I'm leaning towards spear as my main weapon, was wondering if it would be a good idea to put a backstrap on it.

If I can't, then i'll just make a strap shield w/ a core + add a nice backstrap.
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Shield construction webpages.   Shield construction webpages. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 10:14 pm

I think you can have a coreless shield with a backstrap but it must be a strap shield. You can't have a punch shield with a strap just for convenience.
Back to top Go down
caretaker

caretaker

PostSubject: Re: Shield construction webpages.   Shield construction webpages. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 10:18 pm

I liked it cause backstrap sheilds i have used would get in the way of me swinging my shots. It allowed for me to move and thought it was a very interesting design. However I do agree, it could be bigger at the shoulders so it would help you getting hit in the shoulders.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/thomasalesterayers?re
Scrios

Scrios

PostSubject: ..   Shield construction webpages. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 11:36 pm

after I get my sword made I need to make a back shield >.>
Back to top Go down
Isk

Isk

PostSubject: Re: Shield construction webpages.   Shield construction webpages. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 2:24 am

Usually you do it by cutting slits in the 'core' of the coreless shield and feeding webbing, cloth leather, or whatever through the slits and back around. Peter the Quick explained the method he uses to achieve longevity with a coreless shield and I've put it on our site here:
http://www.antirdearg.com/node/13
Back to top Go down
http://www.antirdearg.com
Morlock

Morlock

PostSubject: Re: Shield construction webpages.   Shield construction webpages. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 3:09 am

Anthony wrote:
after I get my sword made I need to make a back shield >.>

Careful with that ideal. There are many people out there who really don't like back shields.

read here:
http://www.dagorhir.com/forums/index.php?topic=15412.0
Back to top Go down
Scrios

Scrios

PostSubject: ..   Shield construction webpages. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 3:50 am

lol I really don't care what people like xD
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Shield construction webpages.   Shield construction webpages. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 4:00 am

It doesn't matter what other people like/dislike, but rather if you can use it effectively.
Back to top Go down
Morlock

Morlock

PostSubject: Re: Shield construction webpages.   Shield construction webpages. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 4:16 am

Anthony wrote:
lol I really don't care what people like xD
Good Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Shield construction webpages.   Shield construction webpages. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 3:16 am

4.7.6. Shields may be virtually any shape, but must have handles and/or arm-straps. If a
shield is made to strap onto the body and has no means to carry it on the fighter’s
arm, it is not allowed. As with all weapons rules, Weapons-Checkers and Heralds
have the final size in determining what is a shield versus what is armor.

I am kind of confused on this rule... If a shield has a strap on it, but the strap is not meant to be carried on the fighters arm, is that legal or illegal? Cause the sentance before says "must have handles AND/OR arm straps".

I just saw Magnus use a punch shield with a strap dangling from it in 7 Dag fighting tutorials.
Back to top Go down
Scrios

Scrios

PostSubject: ..   Shield construction webpages. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 4:16 am

lol yeah I know :P
Back to top Go down
Morlock

Morlock

PostSubject: Re: Shield construction webpages.   Shield construction webpages. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 4:16 am

They just want you to have a handle on the shield so it can be used in hand and not be a back pack shield that you always wear.
Back to top Go down
Scrios

Scrios

PostSubject: ..   Shield construction webpages. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 7:31 am

yeah I know but I probably would'nt use it that much anyway and plus I usually just fight in this realm so bleh :\
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Shield construction webpages.   Shield construction webpages. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 1:42 am

Making my shield tonight, using the method Konradr linked:

http://www.geddon.org/index.php/Constructing_a_Punch_Shield

The "curved" shield without the curve is my basic method. I'll post pics of how its going, sister is helping (:< she owes me 74.99 which is about 10 hours of labor.

Thanks for the advice too Konradr in the PM you sent Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Shield construction webpages.   Shield construction webpages. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 8:50 am

Well the beast is finished, its really ugly right now o.0 I used alot of tape with the DAP so I dunno how that will work out, but the PVC core handle is secured/glued, hole cut out for my hand, and the remaining visable pvc outside of the hand area is covered in foam/taped.

I'll post a pic in the morning when its done drying.

What is the best way to secure fabric to a coreless shield... 2x sided ductape maybe + a sheet?
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: Shield construction webpages.   Shield construction webpages. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 3:53 pm

Any fabric in a pinch will do. You can pull it over and duct tape down the edges. I prefer (when not being lazy) to sew the corners to make it tight (like elastic) so I can slip it on and off.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Shield construction webpages.   Shield construction webpages. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 4:31 pm

Yeah I may have someone make me a cover for it, but um...

Is it supposed to have a good deal of duct tape? Like mine I put tape over the caps, and then over the padding that covers the exposed PVC. Its not ALOT, and its not exactly good looking cause it was 2:15AM when I finished the taping and got kinda in a hurry, I'll bring it to practice with some fabric. I'll be there early. Also need a cover for my sword, so I might hit up walmart for panty hose.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shield construction webpages.   Shield construction webpages. - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shield construction webpages.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2