Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12.

Go down 
+4
Surt
Kilanos
Knubbs
konradr
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
konradr

konradr

Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12. Empty
PostSubject: Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12.   Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12. I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 9:44 pm

Hey guys, we're planning on a Weapon's build next Saturday on July 11. The build will be at Kilanos place. We'll pass on more info as it becomes available, such as time, directions and what you should bring, etc. Kurn will be leaving us sometime at the begining of August so this is our best chance to glean from him all that we can as far as weapon building skills, etc.

We're planning to practice on Sunday. Because of the heat we started the practice today at 10:00am instead of 12pm. What is the earliest everyone is willing to come out to beat the heat? Chime in and lets get a consensus before the week is over.

Also we're planning on a trip to Aggelgorod (los Angeles) probably on the 18th. If you want to go but not sure you can because of no ride or what have you, we can discuss it at the weapon's build and maybe work something out. It would be good to have our weapons, shields and especially garb, in order for that visit.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Knubbs

Knubbs

PostSubject: Re: Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12.   Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 5:25 pm

Im all down for the weapon build day but i cant be at the park until after 12:30 on sunday.

also, the 18th run to LA is out for me... school starts @ 9:00 in the morning on saturdays.... bleh
Back to top Go down
Kilanos

Kilanos

PostSubject: Re: Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12.   Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 12:37 am

Weapons build will be at my house on Saturday. I should be free all day so whenever you all want to head over is fine with me. My address is:

2856 Radiant Flame Ave.
Henderson, NV 89052
Here is a Yahoo Map of my street

I live in a gated community. The gate code is (there is a button that looks like a key) key, key, 2, 8, 4, 6
When you come in turn left then right and I am in the last house on the right. Probably will be a geiko car in the driveway.
Back to top Go down
Surt

Surt

PostSubject: Re: Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12.   Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 4:54 pm

this is all great stuff guys! i so wish i could go to california with you guys and beat there butts!
Back to top Go down
https://baraddun.forumotion.net
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12.   Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12. I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 6:52 am

I checked Aggelgorod's website about July 18 and they do have a practice planned for Whittier. So if we are all set on that date to go to Aggelgorod should we email their officer's now and make sure they know we are coming? Who's for sure planning on making the trip? I know alot of our Young'uns have been silent on the board's lately but we could email them individually or text or call to see what they are up to.

Now do we each have to bring waiver's since we'll be fighting in Aggelgorod and not here in barad'dun? My wife says I can go, and I can take Romeo and the van.

Now the weather forcast for Sunday is clear, sunny and 108. Do we make it early again and if so, how early can everyone make it? 6,7,8, 9,10 am or the usual 12pm?

Konradr
Back to top Go down
K'urn

K'urn

PostSubject: Re: Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12.   Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12. I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 3:47 pm

I know this is a little late. My apologies.

Due to the extreme nature of being broke, I will NOT be able to provide much foam for the build. Nor will I be able to provide finished cores.

I have several unfinished cores (not glued together). I do not have the time nor money to glue them together. If some of you could get some glue (PL375 Heavy Duty Construction Adhesive) I will bring my caulking gun and we can glue them on site.

I have very little closed cell Velora left. I will bring what I have. I would like to see someone or several someones bring their own. You will need to go to Galaxy Foam Supply on Charleston and Main streets. Tell them you want the 1/2" (inch) Velora closed cell foam (it is an off-white almost cream color) Buy however many yards you want, and have them cut it into 1 1/2" (inch) strips (lengthwise). The Velora usually runs around $11 a yard for a five foot wide piece. BE SURE IT IS THE 1/2" VELORA. SURT AND I HAVE MISTAKENLY TAKEN THE 3/8" AND IT WILL NOT WORK.

And as always everyone should bring Duck brand duct tape (the red roll, it has red lettering on the inside of the roll), and whatever grip tape and cover materials you need. D'edra said she will bring her sewing machine and make whatever covers she can. BRING YOUR OWN COVER MATERIAL.

Knubbs, I have found a 5' piece of fiberglass I will bring for your sword.

Konradr, D'edra says she will cover your weapons if you bring them and some cover material.

Again, I'm sorry this is so late. I will bring what I have, but I don't have enough for everyone. Sorry.

K-
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12.   Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12. I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 4:07 pm

Money and time constraints have kept me pretty much at home while I was off work and yesterday and today I have to work, I babysit first. I have my $40 allowance but I have to stretch it for two weeks and unfortunately because my wife and I both took time off we are short on this payday and our mortgage payment is due. Of course I said to the wife 'Why don't we just pay it late this month' Which is why I don't do the budget, she does.

I'm not sure if I can make it to galaxy foam on Saturday but we'll see. As it is, I won't be coming to weapon's build til probably 12:30pm, hope that won't be too late. I have to wait for my wife to come home from work before I can take off. I have torn apart that stupid hand axe I made (too ungainly) I cut down on some of the foam and took off the pommel so I can make it into a new flail. All I need for that is a nerf ball and maybe closed cell foam scraps. Oh, and I want to try and get over to the Walmart on Sunset because they still sell cloth and I want to get some long enough for the flail. Oh, and I was thinking of getting some of that rubberized pipe insulation to make the doohickey's on the 'chain'. Duct tape and Dap were other expenditures I was planning on. Either buying tonight after work or sometime tomorrow before showing up.

The only other project I was thinking off was maybe a buckler out of 5 or 6 layers of DAPped blue camp mat foam. Maybe a small circle of plywood embedded for the straps. Ricky (Romeo's friend) doesn't like the big shields and really liked using the old buckler I had.

My budget for the weapon's build is $20 and then the other $20 is for Aggelgorod.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12.   Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12. I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 5:37 pm

Since we're planning on that trip to Aggelgorod I think the only thing I will build is my flail. Instead of a shield (or another javelin which had popped into my head) I might bring some cloth for a bigger banner to bring to Aggelgorod.

D'edra could you put your sewing machine to use on my banner. I will paint the design on it, but I wanted to double the cloth over and sew the entire edge and then stitch a tube for a crossbar to hold it horizontal on my pole.

Also, for future, Kurn what kind of foam do you make your shields out of? You made those teardrops right? They look to be about 3 inches of foam with a plywood core.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Kilanos

Kilanos

PostSubject: Re: Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12.   Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12. I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 9:35 pm

I just got back from a run to Galaxy and have picked up 3 yards of 1/2 inch Velora for use during the build. As many of you know, I am in a bad position money wise as well as a lot of others so any donations for the foam will be greatly appreciated. I did pick up some foam to finish my kite shield finally as well. I was able to get a sheet of 1 inch open cell foam from there as well. It is 30 inches by 7 feet and ran me $13 so that may be an idea for anyone that is looking for shield foam.

See you all tomorrow
-Kil
Back to top Go down
K'urn

K'urn

PostSubject: Re: Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12.   Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12. I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 10:32 pm

Thanks Kilanos. Did u get it cut, or should I bring my yard stick?

K-
Back to top Go down
Aleksander Piotrowski

Aleksander Piotrowski

PostSubject: Re: Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12.   Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12. I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 11:00 pm

Crap, looks like I'll be missing this weapon build day. I just arrived in california las night.

Ah well, I hope to see some good weapons when I get back.
Back to top Go down
Kilanos

Kilanos

PostSubject: Re: Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12.   Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12. I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 1:21 am

I got it all cut in 1.5 inch strips
Back to top Go down
D\'edra

D\'edra

PostSubject: Re: Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12.   Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12. I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 1:49 am

not a problem konradr...that is an awesome idea for a flag..I will gladly stitch it up for you...I actually found some fabric to make weapon covers, so I shall bring it with me...
(read...I may not have enough to cover everyone elses weapons..but enough to cover konradr's and a few more...)

hey kilanos.....is there a power outlet i can use where we are working to plug my machine in??....I'm bringing my little table that could to set it up on..but power is a must Very Happy Very Happy

look forward to seeing all of you there cheers cheers

D~
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/marciex32
D\'edra

D\'edra

PostSubject: Re: Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12.   Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12. I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 3:39 am

Hey Kilanos...we will be there around 1pm tomorrow..

D~
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/marciex32
Kilanos

Kilanos

PostSubject: Re: Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12.   Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12. I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 4:56 am

I have power outlets all over the place so that will not be a problem. 1:00 sounds good to me since I need to run a few errands tomorrow morning to pick up some last minute things for weapons. I'm going to head over to Lowes and pick up some 1/2 inch and some 3/4 inch pvc and some bolts for my shield. If anyone needs anything let me know and I will get it while I'm there.

Also, if anyone gets lost or needs help finding my house feel free to give me a call at 702-875-1188

-Kil
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12.   Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12. I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 6:36 am

If I can strap my tear drop shield blank (its not a kite, too small) then I might bring that and see. Should I buy a roll of Walmart Blue foam? DAP, I was going to buy 1 can of DAP and a roll of Duct tape. I also want to get a roll of that cushioned grip tape at walmart. I found the new walmart on Tropicana has loads of them. I was thinking of getting soda, water and some chips too. I'll chip in for the foam with you too Kilanos.

I'm worried about having money for this Aggelgorod trip. I really want US (Barad'dun) to go. I'm thinking of Selling my WWII lee-enfield .303 rifle to a buddy at work for about $150. Then I won't have to sweat spending most of my measly allowance on the weapon's build.

Romeo wants to come to the weapon's build. I think it would be good for him to make his own sword. How much is that glue you need for the fiberglass rods Kurn? or should I just get him some pvc and DAP?
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12.   Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12. I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 8:10 am

Ok, I'm just going to make my flail, and banner, and let Romeo make a sword. I think I will go with PVC. Hey Kilanos what type of PVC are you getting the Whiter or Gray??? I know 1/2 inch by 2 foot white pvc is only .97 at home depot. They have the gray (schedule 80) for about $2 or $3.00. I want to get a 2 foot gray section for Romeo to make a sword. I'm thinking the 3/4" variety like my flail.

I'm going through my cloth bags and junk foam (that my son hasn't stolen) to see what I can bring along that may be of some use.

Romeo was asking if there will be garb making. He wants a hood like Frodo wore. I told him not this round, money is just too tight. Maybe I'll bring some of my other unfinished projects to see if something can be done with them.

See y'all tomorrow.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12.   Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12. I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 8:17 am

Just checking the directions Kilanos, Coming from Eastern and St. Rose parkway, turn right on Sunridge Heights, turn right on Coronado Center drive. Turn left into your housing complex, then left and right after gate?

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Oddvar

Oddvar

PostSubject: Re: Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12.   Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12. I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 1:07 pm

Ok guys, I have to work, but I am working about 5 blocks from Kilanos' today. I hope to be there about the time we start. As with everyone else I am poor and I am not sure that I will be building anything this week. I will show up and do everything I can to help
Back to top Go down
Kilanos

Kilanos

PostSubject: Re: Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12.   Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12. I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 5:01 pm

Easiest way from St. Rose and Eastern is to make a right on Coronado Center (2 lights after St. Rose) and take it up passed Coronado High School. The community will be on the right just after the school. Come in and go left, then right,. last house on the right.
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12.   Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12. I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 5:11 pm

I'm back from my morning errands and damn, used up my allowance. Couldn't get soda or chips, got water instead, sorry guys. Got one tube of that glue you specified Kurn, if you want to bring your caulk gun.
Back to top Go down
K'urn

K'urn

PostSubject: Re: Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12.   Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12. I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 6:04 pm

I will bring it. I also found a partial tube of my own.
I am bringing with me eight 4'x3/8" fiberglass cores, a 5'x1" fiberglass core, all the foam I have (it's not much) and one partial core that's already glued. I don't know if I have any DAP left, I may have to borrow some. I will also bring various other sundries (tools and such).

K-
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12.   Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12. I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 6:19 pm

I am only planning on finishing my flail. Don't think I will need my DAP (which is only the small one from Walmart) Romeo wants to build a sword so if you will guide him you can have as much of my DAP as you need. I will have to save my shield building endeavors for another time, but I will watch Kilanos construct his.

Mordock emailed me and can not make the weapons build but should be there sunday for practice. He wishes we could get video footage of Kurn demonstrating some weapon's building techniques. I think that would be good. Alas I am out of video tape for my camera so anyone with a digital We can share the files if you get some. We could burn them to a CDR for a Realm library.

The Realm is going broke. We really need to Raid a neighbor, pillage and plunder. Isengard's a bust. I read on the Aggelgorod forum topic (on the main Dagorhir forum) that the core guys fell out of interest or something, but there are a few left who want to form their own chapter. Someone recommended that they make the trip to Barad'dun and practice with us instead. If any do come our way, let's show them the same hospitality you guys showed me when I first came out. It really makes the difference between someone wanting to come out and play with us or not. (Stop drooling Oddvar, we know you want more targets to hit with your beat stick).

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Kilanos

Kilanos

PostSubject: Re: Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12.   Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12. I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 7:28 pm

I should be able to cover any of the renewable resources that we need. I picked up dap and have a large roll of duck tape plus I have spray on adhesive, markers, that sort of thing. If anyone is worried about coming due to a lack of funds or resources, come anyways. I've got enough to cover what others don't have.
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12.   Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12. I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 7:59 am

Excellent Weapon's build Kilanos, thank you for being such a gracious host.

Practice tomorrow is scheduled for 10:00am. Sorry for posting so late but weapon's build just finished about an hour ago. Some people won't be able to make it til later in the day so come when you can come.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12.   Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Weapon's build July 11, Practice July 12.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next