Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

Barad'dun campout.

Go down 
+6
Kilanos
Strider
Knubbs
Oddvar
Surt
konradr
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
konradr

konradr

Barad'dun campout. Empty
PostSubject: Barad'dun campout.   Barad'dun campout. I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2009 7:44 am

Hey, what do you guys think of a Barad'dun campout one of these weekends? We could use the group use campgrounds on mount charleston or wait for cooler weather and see if there's group use campout area's here in the valley. Practice during the day, maybe some games like javelin throwing, archery contest, etc, then bar-b-que, games, storytelling, Character stories, Arts & Craft competition, or what have you, at night. Period style tent's or modern one's. Open air for you hardy lot, all in garb, Sunday breakfast, some fighting or a one on one tournament, and go home. Kind of like Aggelgorod's event but on a smaller, practice type scale.

The Group use campgrounds on Mount Charleston are $140 a night. Vaulted toilets, picnic tables, grill's and water.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Surt

Surt

Barad'dun campout. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barad'dun campout.   Barad'dun campout. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 5:49 pm

i think that is a great idea!
Back to top Go down
https://baraddun.forumotion.net
Oddvar

Oddvar

Barad'dun campout. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barad'dun campout.   Barad'dun campout. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 6:07 am

I am all for it. It would be great to get out of the heat a bit and have some fun at Mt. Charleston. I have not camped there in years. I have friends that go there a lot and they might be able to give me a good Heads Up on a location and can possibly bring back some info on costs and site amenities.
Back to top Go down
Knubbs

Knubbs

Barad'dun campout. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barad'dun campout.   Barad'dun campout. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 6:30 pm

Awesome! affraid
Back to top Go down
Strider

Strider

Location : Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: lolololololololololol roflcopterswaswaswa

Barad'dun campout. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barad'dun campout.   Barad'dun campout. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 8:45 pm

Hey, that sounds really fun. We need to work on raising money though Razz
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Barad'dun campout. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barad'dun campout.   Barad'dun campout. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 7:31 am

Hmmm, slave auction anyone?
Back to top Go down
Knubbs

Knubbs

Barad'dun campout. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barad'dun campout.   Barad'dun campout. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 4:54 pm

hahaha, We can bring it up to the group and see if they have any suggestions. We could always just start donating moneys but then that brings along other issues.

We should definitely bring it up though. I have a feeling that people would enjoy it and the mountains are relatively cool this time of the year.

Cool
Back to top Go down
Strider

Strider

Location : Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: lolololololololololol roflcopterswaswaswa

Barad'dun campout. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barad'dun campout.   Barad'dun campout. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 9:25 pm

No more slave auctions please Neutral lol!
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Barad'dun campout. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barad'dun campout.   Barad'dun campout. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 5:12 pm

Information on available campgrounds at mt. charleston can be located here:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/htnf/districts/smnra/camping.shtml

The group campgrounds are at Mahogany Grove and run about $155.

Three Campgrounds have these type sites with variable rates:

Single: 8 people in 2 vehicles | Double: 16 people in 4 vehicles
Triple: 14 people in 6 vehicles | Group: 75 people in 18 vehicles
Limited Single: 8 people in 1 vehicle | Limited Double: 16 people in 2 vehicles

All sites can be researved online. I don't know which campground would have the best open area's for us to do our thing in or how busy or crowded they would be. I would like to take a recon and check each out since there are no good photos of the campgrounds. Here's some info I have gleaned while sitting at the computer today instead of fixing or making weapons.

Some campgrounds seem to be open only until late october and others all year. Water seems to be available only until labor day.

All times are about the same, an overnight stay is from 2pm til 1pm the next day.

Hilltop Campground:

Site 007 is a Triple with a cost of $47, max # of people: 24, max # vehicles: 6
Availability: (all days are Saturdays) Sept 12, sept 26, oct 3.

Two 'double' campsites which are next to one another are 009 and 010. $34 each overnight. Max people: 16, Max vehiclec: 4
Availability: both sept 26 and oct 3.

hilltop has shower facilities.

Fletcher View Campground:

Each site claims to have electrical hookups, paved parking and full shade. I checked two of their 'Doubles' plus a sister 'single' site next to them. Doubles are $44 overnight, max people: 16, max vehicles: 4. Singles are $25 overnight, max people:8, max vehicles: 2.

Site 010 (double) and sister site 011(single) dates both available: Oct 3 and Oct 10.

Site 002 (double) and 003 and 001 are singles but are on a first come first serve basis (no researvations) 002 is available sept 19, sept 26, oct 3, oct 10.

Fletcher View has shower facilities.

Kyle Canyon Campground:

Sites are Double, at $34.00 overnight, max people 16, max vehicles, 4, or Singles max people, 8, max vehicles 2. Singles are $19 overnight.

Site 007B is a double and its sister site 008B is a single. Both available on Sept 19, Oct 3 and Oct 10.

Site 024B is a double and its sister site 025B a single. Both available on Sept 19, Sept 26, Oct 3 and Oct 10.

Availability for any of these sites will change. We need to researve a minimum of 3 days in advance according to the website.

Konradr

Last edited by konradr on Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Barad'dun campout. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barad'dun campout.   Barad'dun campout. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 5:48 pm

Some campgrounds have a 2 day minimum on weekends and 3 days on holiday weekends. At least for regular campgrounds. Could try for Friday and Saturdays or Saturdays and Sundays. Have to calculate costs and check availablilties.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Barad'dun campout. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barad'dun campout.   Barad'dun campout. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 7:30 pm

I'm kinda leaning towards the Hilltop Campground

http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/htnf/recreation/camp_picnic/smnra_camp/hilltop_campground.shtml

The triple would be $47 a night or $94.00 for the minimum 2 nights. That would be Friday and Saturday or Saturday and Sunday. I'm thinking Saturday and Sunday. We'd have to set up there around 2pm Saturday and could stay until evening on Sunday (or Monday at 1pm) or someone setup by 2pm Friday and we could stay til 1pm on Sunday.

The triple allows 24 people with 6 vehicles. I have to say, we average about 20 people at practices, if that. And how many would actually be able to come to Mt. Charleston for an overnight. I'm thinking at the most maybe 12 fighters and another maybe 10 camp followers. I'd have to ask the rangers if the 24 is just those staying overnight. In other words if we had more people come out just for the day to fight, would that be okay if they were not staying overnight, etc. Of course there are nearby campgrounds and all have first come first serve sites so if we have 24 people sign up for the campout and more show up, they might have to find any available sight.

6 vehicles is plenty to carpool and bring in equipment.

There's coin operated showers.

I have to recon to see if there is a field where we can fight and shoot arrows, etc that is close enough to the campsite.

It's 40 miles from Vegas at 8,437 feet. It's in the middle of route 158 in between routes 156 and 157, both of which are about 17/18 miles from I95.

It's available Friday/Saturday/sunday: Sept 11/12/13, Sept 25/26/27, Oct 2/3/4. Closed after mid october.

Apparently I have to pay $103.00 online in order to researve the time. So let me hear from everyone what they think and which weekend would be best. We can go for a Friday with a Sunday check out. I'll see if I can get that Friday off from work or someone would have to go check us in at 2pm on Friday. After that just show up and throw up tents. Let me call tomorrow and ask more info from the rangers.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Barad'dun campout. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barad'dun campout.   Barad'dun campout. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 5:19 pm

The Group campground, Mahogony grove, allows up to 75 people & 18 vehicles. There are two sites. Toilets, (both flush and pit types) volleyball area's and group campsite is all the amenities they list. You can book for just one night. They have mid and late september available. To book one Saturday (check in 2pm Saturday, check out 1pm Sunday) would be $164.00 ($155.00 + $9.00) minimum number of people: 1, max: 75. Should be plenty of room for a battleground. Maybe even some kind of Wood fort fight like in the original dagorhir video (from 1982) found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCqQoStjBdo

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Kilanos

Kilanos

Barad'dun campout. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barad'dun campout.   Barad'dun campout. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 7:51 pm

I would be willing to go and could cook for us. Can't really say which site would be better for us without being able to see them.
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Barad'dun campout. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barad'dun campout.   Barad'dun campout. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 6:13 am

I've been talkin' to the wife about taking her and the kids up to the mountains on Sunday when she gets off work. Figure we could hike to Robber's roost and maybe have a late picnic lunch. I can also use the opportunity to check a couple of the campgrounds. Now I'm kinda leaning towards the group campground at Mahogany grove, probably the last weekend of September.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
K'urn

K'urn

Barad'dun campout. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barad'dun campout.   Barad'dun campout. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 11:27 am

Just my two cents worth of advice...(thats all its worth)

I think you should go with the 75 person campsite at least. Once other realms hear of this they are likely to want to show up. Everybody likes to campout. I'm sure if you get a hold of Aggelgorod you can pick up a few more people looking for a weekend getaway.

You should look into charging $5-$10 per person for the campsite and throw a feast like dinner one night. This will cover the initial expense and any food needed. It will also give you a big boost on the treasury for future events.

Just my two cents.

Konrad do you have access to the council forum?

K-
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Barad'dun campout. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barad'dun campout.   Barad'dun campout. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 4:56 pm

No, Kurn. What is the Council Forum? Is that part of the main Dagorhir forum?

Konradr
Back to top Go down
K'urn

K'urn

Barad'dun campout. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barad'dun campout.   Barad'dun campout. I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 9:22 pm

It's the Admin forum for Barad'Dun. I think I've added you, you should have access. If not I'll try again.

K-
Back to top Go down
Strider

Strider

Barad'dun campout. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barad'dun campout.   Barad'dun campout. I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 7:25 pm

Aww i wanna be all cool and on the council and stuff.
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Barad'dun campout. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barad'dun campout.   Barad'dun campout. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 4:13 am

One day, Grasshopper, you will get your wish.
Back to top Go down
Kilanos

Kilanos

Barad'dun campout. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barad'dun campout.   Barad'dun campout. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 4:46 pm

Strider said
Quote :

You need to learn to pump gas first...
Back to top Go down
Strider

Strider

Barad'dun campout. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barad'dun campout.   Barad'dun campout. I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 6:59 pm

HAHA.... I hate you Kilanos Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Alacian

Alacian

Barad'dun campout. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barad'dun campout.   Barad'dun campout. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 12:05 am

Kilanos wrote:
Strider said
Quote :

You need to learn to pump gas first...

I can pump gas...make strawberry cheesecake from scratch...make deer jerky...homemade molasses with the growing of cane, pickin' it, etc...grinding wheel...home built forge-like place......horse making the grinder move.....Mm...lets see...what else....I can shave (unlike Strider)...Ha ha.
Back to top Go down
Strider

Strider

Barad'dun campout. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barad'dun campout.   Barad'dun campout. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 12:19 am

No it's just an inside joke, gone wrong.
I can shave whatever I want girly, I'm just not inclined too.
Back to top Go down
Alacian

Alacian

Barad'dun campout. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barad'dun campout.   Barad'dun campout. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 2:12 am

Strider wrote:
No it's just an inside joke, gone wrong.
I can shave whatever I want girly, I'm just not inclined too.

I figured as much. Note to self...ask Kilanos about said joke.

*steals a snug anyway*...You'll be okay.
Back to top Go down
K'urn

K'urn

Barad'dun campout. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barad'dun campout.   Barad'dun campout. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 8:51 pm

Thank you Kilanos!!! You just made my day.......

We might consider you for the council Strider...if you can figure out how cruise control works....lol

K-
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Barad'dun campout. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Barad'dun campout.   Barad'dun campout. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Barad'dun campout.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next