Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

Siege Engine/Ballista Turning Mobile idea

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Saint Xenox

Saint Xenox

Siege Engine/Ballista Turning Mobile idea Empty
PostSubject: Siege Engine/Ballista Turning Mobile idea   Siege Engine/Ballista Turning Mobile idea I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 10:05 pm

So I'm thinking a rifle/blunderbuss like item crossed with a ballista or siege engine. But on a smaller scale. But still black damage.
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: Siege Engine/Ballista Turning Mobile idea   Siege Engine/Ballista Turning Mobile idea I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 10:38 pm

You'll have to get the King to okay it. The Shepherd's on leave and don't know about the marshall's situation. Usually its the Marshall that can approve experimental weapons.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Saint Xenox

Saint Xenox

PostSubject: Re: Siege Engine/Ballista Turning Mobile idea   Siege Engine/Ballista Turning Mobile idea I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 10:44 pm

Well thanks for the input.
Back to top Go down
Smithy
Admin
Smithy

PostSubject: Re: Siege Engine/Ballista Turning Mobile idea   Siege Engine/Ballista Turning Mobile idea I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 12:57 am

I can put in a quick answer on this though you're probably not going to like it. The only projectiles allowed on the field have shafts (i.e. arrows and javelins). Rocks are allowed as well but only because they are thrown by hand or dumped over head from an elevated point utilizing their "head only" ruling and because you simply cannot generate enough force to inflict serious harm due to the weight of the rock. It's too light. In theory you could fire a rock from a crossbow but the poundage on crossbows is so low that they are a rarity on just about any field because you can't "half draw" a crossbow.

I myself came up with an idea for a rifle that could shoot rocks. But the variables were too great to justify construction. Then there is the RP (the little bit that there is) and cannon of LoTR to take into account. They didn't use guns of any kind and the one time that black powder was used was to make a breach in the walls of Helms Deep. Even in the associated time frame (1200-1300 AD), black powder was discovered but used reliably except as a bomb. And alas, there are no bombs allowed on the field either.

Cool
Back to top Go down
Saint Xenox

Saint Xenox

PostSubject: Re: Siege Engine/Ballista Turning Mobile idea   Siege Engine/Ballista Turning Mobile idea I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 3:43 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannon
Gun powder used to fire projectiles as early as 1260. Then they were known as a hand cannon i can recreate this with springs and nerf balls.
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: Siege Engine/Ballista Turning Mobile idea   Siege Engine/Ballista Turning Mobile idea I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 4:38 pm

Have you read the Dagorhir Manual of Arms? As I said before, a Realm Officier must approve of any experimental weapon and Smithy is the Shepherd and he would be one of the guys you have to convince that it would be safe and fun to use in our game. Second, it would only be used here, you could not take it to either a Dagorhir or Belegarth event as they are not in the rules. thus 'experimental' means something you are allowed to toy with in your own realm as long as your realm leadership check it for safety and say its ok to play with.

Dagorhir is based on Lord of the Rings.

http://www.dagorhir.com/dagorhir/Rules.htm

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Izmiranna Peregrine

Izmiranna Peregrine

PostSubject: Re: Siege Engine/Ballista Turning Mobile idea   Siege Engine/Ballista Turning Mobile idea I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 4:39 pm

Again, Dagorhir is loosely based off of LoTR and therefore no guns/hand cannons where used.

Smithy is the Shepard (officer) of Barad'Dun and he answered the question. Better to adhere to his words.

-Izmiranna Peregrine pirat gfxlovers.com/smilies
Pirate Viking or Viking Pirate...?

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001046867423
Izmiranna Peregrine

Izmiranna Peregrine

PostSubject: Re: Siege Engine/Ballista Turning Mobile idea   Siege Engine/Ballista Turning Mobile idea I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 4:42 pm

You and I think alike Old Wolfe. I love you

-Izmiranna Peregrine pirat gfxlovers.com/smilies
Pirate Viking or Viking Pirate...?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001046867423
Saint Xenox

Saint Xenox

PostSubject: Re: Siege Engine/Ballista Turning Mobile idea   Siege Engine/Ballista Turning Mobile idea I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 5:14 pm

Alright I get the picture. No projectile weapons unless thrown or fired from a bow.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Siege Engine/Ballista Turning Mobile idea   Siege Engine/Ballista Turning Mobile idea I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Siege Engine/Ballista Turning Mobile idea
Page 1 of 1