Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

Barad'Dun's Althing

Go down 
+6
Demie Zephyra
Aleksander Piotrowski
edgar dernhelm
Phoxly
Alacian
konradr
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
konradr

konradr

Barad'Dun's Althing Empty
PostSubject: Barad'Dun's Althing   Barad'Dun's Althing I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2009 4:04 pm

The Norse, and for that matter most Germanic and Germanic based cultures, had an assembly called the 'Thing'. This was an assembly of all free peoples of the realm. The Norse living in Iceland had there great gathering once a year of all the free peoples of Iceland and it was called the "Althing". It was three days of feasting, sports, grievances and voting on laws and what not.

I've talked it over with Surt and he agree's we should have a Barad'dun Althing. It would be once a month, probably on Sunday. Say the last Sunday of the month. It would, for the most part be a non-fighting event. We may, from time to time decide to hold a tournament or something, which would usually be single combat and for some kind of prize to the tourney winner, but that would be decided ahead of time and posted. For the most part though it would be a non-fighting event where we would get together and BS in garb, in character, around 11 or 12 at Desert Breeze park. The things we could do are:

1. Discuss the realm and future plans.

2. Brainstorm on ideas for promotion, events, campouts, etc.

3. Talk about Character's and bio making, etc. We could write and read it to one another.

4. Play boardgames, card games, etc.

5. Give classes in weapon's making or fighting techniques.

6. Give classes on garb and garb making, on the characters and races of LOTR or Historical.

7. Surt, as the Adunakhor, may choose some people, during the other three weeks of the month, to come to the Althing and give demonstrations or classes or whatever the king wishes to see or hear. A poem, a song, a dance or a puppet play, etc.

8. Grieviences can be heard and aired out.

9. Oathing, promotions, ranking and awards can be given out.

10. The pledge should be spoken to the Banner and the King.

11. Field games, in garb, like soccer, kickball, lacrosse, dodgeball, Roman hopscotch, Norse dodgeball (dodgeball with small bucklers) cricket, etc, etc, etc.

12. Bring your latest foamsmithing works and finish them while showing anyone interested in how its done. Weapon's building or garb making while BSing with the king of BS (hmmmm, whom would that be?).

We could make it a potluck or someone could BBQ as well.

What do you all think of a once a month Althing for Barad'dun?

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Alacian

Alacian

PostSubject: Re: Barad'Dun's Althing   Barad'Dun's Althing I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 4:56 am

I love the idea! Hai Barad'Dun! Lets do this!

-hopes I get picked to entertain sometime poem/song wise- LOL I need to get my bio finished and posted. I'm of the Teleri! One of those Lindar, 'Singers'! Very Happy

- A
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Barad'Dun's Althing   Barad'Dun's Althing I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 5:59 am

I could totally be there for the November Althing! Very Happy I am in!
Back to top Go down
edgar dernhelm

edgar dernhelm

PostSubject: Re: Barad'Dun's Althing   Barad'Dun's Althing I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 6:08 am

sounds cool im in may need rides though depends on wether oddvare is in and willin to bring me Razz
Back to top Go down
Alacian

Alacian

PostSubject: Re: Barad'Dun's Althing   Barad'Dun's Althing I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 5:36 pm

Random note:

If it's once a month at the end of the month. You know, if everyone that's coming would pitch in thirty bucks (even if you saved it over the course of four weeks, which is a month) we'd be able to afford to send someone up to the Wal-mart right there and grab stuff for barbecuing. Make a day of it. Get there at like ten to set up, start bullshitting and then we could all in fact go to Wal-mart, garbed and all to shop. Very Happy Heh heh. Some may need rides though over to Wal-mart, but it'd be worth it and make it fun.

My bro is getting a job, so he could pitch in his thirty and I'd pitch in mine. You'd have four weeks to take out ten bucks each week and do it. We're all wanting to do it, so you may as well chip in if you want to participate.

p.s. Anyone looking for a job, a lot of places are hiring for the season for Oct. through December. If you need help with a resume (like Michael =P), I'll help you out.
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: Barad'Dun's Althing   Barad'Dun's Althing I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 5:51 pm

I think Money's pretty tight with alot of us right now. Especially with 'the season' coming up. For those of you with kids, y'know's what I'm talking about. Plus me personally, the family has three birthdays, plus thanksgiving and christmas to deal with on a very stretched budget at the time. Sooooo in that light, maybe a potluck would be better and people could just bring what they can bring, be it food, drinks, ice, plates, or just themselves.

It don't cost anything to BS.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Alacian

Alacian

PostSubject: Re: Barad'Dun's Althing   Barad'Dun's Althing I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 6:01 pm

konradr wrote:
I think Money's pretty tight with alot of us right now. Especially with 'the season' coming up. For those of you with kids, y'know's what I'm talking about. Plus me personally, the family has three birthdays, plus thanksgiving and christmas to deal with on a very stretched budget at the time. Sooooo in that light, maybe a potluck would be better and people could just bring what they can bring, be it food, drinks, ice, plates, or just themselves.

It don't cost anything to BS.

Konradr

Quite true. Kinda glad birthdays are over for my family this year and we just eat pizza on Thanksgiving. lol If y'all give me a weeks notice before the potluck and bullshitting, I'll make two cheesecakes (if no one's allergic to strawberries) and if y'all don't mind pizza...they sell 19inch pizza's that are really, really big, thick and homemade at Wal-Mart....I just need to know when it is. I'm getting a job...so yeah, dads stuff is picking up so I should be able to swing a couple pizza's..they're only twelve bucks...and the cheesecake stuff will probably cost me about ten dollars and need a day in advance to make those so they sit right. Heh....you can have...bullshitting...period like pizza.... >_> We've got time before it happens...soooo....yeah..-just tosses ideas on the fire-

But, yeah. Things are tight for everyone. It was just a future suggestion, too. -shrugs-
Back to top Go down
Aleksander Piotrowski

Aleksander Piotrowski

PostSubject: Re: Barad'Dun's Althing   Barad'Dun's Althing I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 8:47 pm

konradr wrote:
7. Surt, as the Adunakhor, may choose some people, during the other three weeks of the month, to come to the Althing and give demonstrations or classes or whatever the king wishes to see or hear. A poem, a song, a dance or a puppet play, etc.
When I read this, the image of Surt making Oddvar doing a dance in a frilly dress comes to mind.
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: Barad'Dun's Althing   Barad'Dun's Althing I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 8:54 pm

how about the hamster dance, or would that be the teddy bear waltz?

Konradr
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: Barad'Dun's Althing   Barad'Dun's Althing I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 8:59 pm

Are first 'Althing' will be November 29th. That will give us plenty of time to work up the Sashes so we can present them to the initiates and have a proper oathing ceremony. That'll be time to save a little cash for potluck. Probably will be heavy on leftover turkey stuff.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Demie Zephyra

Demie Zephyra

PostSubject: Re: Barad'Dun's Althing   Barad'Dun's Althing I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 5:25 am

:3
I love it.
I got excited just reading about it.

Can I make a shield cake?
Or I can make a cake that looks like the tower.

Or weapons.

=D

Last edited by Demie Zephyra on Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I fail at spelling.)
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Barad'Dun's Althing   Barad'Dun's Althing I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 3:44 pm

;D yay Shild Cake!

....whats Shild?
Back to top Go down
Hxctemplar

Hxctemplar

PostSubject: Re: Barad'Dun's Althing   Barad'Dun's Althing I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 5:47 pm

I think she meant Shield cake x]

that sounds awesome Konrad Very Happy i'll prolly have to leave early though cause of my sunday class :/ though I would only miss the 1 meeting since the next one would be in Dec and I get out of that class by the 16th of Dec
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: Barad'Dun's Althing   Barad'Dun's Althing I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 7:02 am

I was thinking, since the Althing is non fighting, for the most part, it should be family friendly for those of us with kids. It doesn't have to be as visual as our fighting for promotion wise. I was wondering if anyone would mind if we held the Althing at that Spring Valley park location we fought at this last Saturday?

It was a nice, secluded location, great grass field for playing on, had a nice gazebo and a nearby playground that was nicer than the one at desert breeze where we usually fight. Did it have a BBQ or any power outlets? I didn't notice, but I think it would be a great spot for the monthly Althing. As I said the grass field is big enough for any nonfighting sports or even a tournament if we chose to hold one. Plenty of play area's for kids and or pets too. The gazebo seemed bigger and nicer than the one at desert breeze where we hold the fighting.

I drew up a map for those of you who did not make it last Saturday.

Barad'Dun's Althing Map_to10

Let me know what y'all think.

Konradr[center]
Back to top Go down
Alacian

Alacian

PostSubject: Re: Barad'Dun's Althing   Barad'Dun's Althing I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 3:05 pm

I'd like that place. Very Happy Right down from my house.

Also I'm uncertain as to whether there are grills. I don't think so. I think someone would have to bring one. (I left mine back in Missouri. Sorry). I'll check for outlets sometime this week when I get a chance to swing by there.

- A
Back to top Go down
edgar dernhelm

edgar dernhelm

PostSubject: Re: Barad'Dun's Althing   Barad'Dun's Althing I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 3:09 pm

yea sounds cool and yes the gazebos do have power outlets dont remeber seein any grillz though
Back to top Go down
Demie Zephyra

Demie Zephyra

PostSubject: Re: Barad'Dun's Althing   Barad'Dun's Althing I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 4:33 pm

I don't think they have those grills set up.

I can bring my George Foreman. xD
And an adaptor so we can use it out of someone's car, i guess.

I love the park by Spring Valley and wouldn't mind going there. <3
Back to top Go down
Oddvar

Oddvar

PostSubject: Re: Barad'Dun's Althing   Barad'Dun's Althing I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 6:14 am

lol it all sounds good except the part about me dancing in a frilly dress. Edgar, I can get you if I can make the event in the first place.
Back to top Go down
edgar dernhelm

edgar dernhelm

PostSubject: Re: Barad'Dun's Althing   Barad'Dun's Althing I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 11:44 am

cool awesomeness Smile
Back to top Go down
Knubbs

Knubbs

PostSubject: Re: Barad'Dun's Althing   Barad'Dun's Althing I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 7:52 pm

That sounds awesome... the last place was nice and small and hell I would totally recommend that place for the Royal Army Practice too....
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: Barad'Dun's Althing   Barad'Dun's Althing I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 7:37 pm

Here's a game that looks kind of fun, maybe we can play it at Althing.

http://www.eblong.com/zarf/werewolf.html

http://www.ee0r.com/proj/files/werewolves.pdf

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Barad'Dun's Althing   Barad'Dun's Althing I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 8:04 pm

konradr wrote:
Here's a game that looks kind of fun, maybe we can play it at Althing.

http://www.eblong.com/zarf/werewolf.html

http://www.ee0r.com/proj/files/werewolves.pdf

Konradr

Its REALLY fun, seriously ROFL I love it. Except we called it The Mafia, not Werewolves but still the same concept. Night comes, the mafia members open there eyes, point to someone like they have a gun in their hand, and then they close there eyes, day comes, moderator tells the person they pointed to that they have been killed, and then everyone else (INCLUDING MAFIA MEMBERS) votes on who they think is the mafia, and that person who is voted for dies. The cycle continues til both mafia men are killed.

However the way we played it, the seer(angel) was not able to know who the werewolves/mafia are, instead the seer picked someone to "save" from the mafia, just like the mafia/werewolf picks someone to kill.

So the moderator would say "You die" or "You were saved" etc.

Its a great party game.

Another REALLY interesting one, is this game we always called the "hitman" game.

Everyone closes there eyes and the moderator walks aroundt he room and taps 1-2 people on the shoulder. Those people are the hitmen, and are capable of killing other people by "winking" at them. If you get winked at, you simply fall backward in the circle, and are dead. The game procedes after one or two hitmen have been designated and everyone in the circle simply sits around tryin to figure out who is winking at everyone to kill them. At any time you can say "I KNOW WHO IT IS!" and the moderator will ask you who you think it is. If you guess wrong, you are dead, if you guess right, the hitman is dead, and you win, becoming the moderator for the next game. Hitmen can't kill hitmen, however hitmen also don't know who the other hitmen are. At any time during the game the hitmen are capable of killing you, unless you say you know who it is, they can't kill you before you say your vote.
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: Barad'Dun's Althing   Barad'Dun's Althing I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 8:39 pm

We can do a Dagorhir version called "Sauron's Assassins"

Two Assassins, one moderator and the rest are the rural folk of Gondor. Form a large open cirlce. The people may carry either one blue. A bow an Arrows are set in the middle of the circle on the ground.

The assassins are the bowman and the spy.

The moderator says "Nighttime everyone close their eyes" Everyone closes their eyes.

Noise should be made. Either a boombox is turned on by the Moderator or everyone claps hands at the moderator's commands.

Moderator says "Assassins" the two assassins, as quietly as possible walk out to the center of the field. The bowman picks up and nocks the bow, the spy points out the target.

The noise is stopped. The bowman fires, the people may try to block, eyes closed. Whoever is hit, dies and lays down for the rest of the game and may not speak.

The noise is resumed as the assassins return silently to their spots.

The seer may attempt to identify an assassin.

The moderator calls for Day and everyone opens their eyes. Accusations fly, everyone must choose one person they think is an assassin and once that determination is made either:

A. That person dies automaticaly or B. Everyone charges in and kills them with their blue's.

The circle is reformed and night comes again.

If the Assassin is killed, the Spy may use the bow. When there is an even number of Assassin's and Gondor folk left, the masks may be dropped and a melee ensue.

The folk win if they kill both of Sauron's evil minions whilest Sauron win's if his minions kill the folk of Gondor.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Barad'Dun's Althing   Barad'Dun's Althing I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 9:41 pm

I like it, but I'm not too keen on taking a bow an arrow to the face with my eyes closed. >__< also no noise should be made especially if its outside where footsteps are easily hidden.
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Barad'Dun's Althing   Barad'Dun's Althing I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 9:48 pm

Dagorhir Assassin Game I thought up.

Best with 10+ players.

Take sticky notes equal to the number of players, write each players name on a sticky note, and walk around the room placing a sticky note on each person's head, making sure they don't get their own name on their head.

Each person takes up a blue weapon, and must seek out and kill the person with their name on the note.

So if I had Alacian's name on my forehead, she would have to try to kill me.

I haven't thoroughly thought it out, but it would be fun eh? You'd never know who was out to kill you, and you could be sneaky and cunning, or you could just zerg rush the person who had your name on it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Barad'Dun's Althing   Barad'Dun's Althing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Barad'Dun's Althing
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next