Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

Quivers - Kurn?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Isk

Isk

Quivers - Kurn? Empty
PostSubject: Quivers - Kurn?   Quivers - Kurn? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 4:41 am

I have gone through several quiver iterations and finally have one that the arrows don't fall out of when I run, but I'm still not completely satisfied. I was hoping you guys would have some suggestions, especially Kurn, as to what works for holding inverted arrows with honking fat arrowheads.
Back to top Go down
http://www.antirdearg.com
Phoxly

Phoxly

Quivers - Kurn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quivers - Kurn?   Quivers - Kurn? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 5:07 am

One word my friend... pringles can. Or something similar, strip offthe fancy labels and coloring and you have a dirt cheap, brown cylinder can that if you place the arrows:

/\
|
|
|||
|||
|||
|^|
|_|

Like that, you can fit 3 arrows in the can, with the fat arrowheads sticking out of the top of the can.
Back to top Go down
Demie Zephyra

Demie Zephyra

Quivers - Kurn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quivers - Kurn?   Quivers - Kurn? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 5:35 am

I actually had an idea about quivers.
It's probably a dumb idea, but maybe worth a try?

In those little plastic golf sets for toddlers,
they always have like a little plastic golf club caddy.

If you covered it right, would it work?
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Quivers - Kurn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quivers - Kurn?   Quivers - Kurn? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 7:31 am

I thought of the Scythian "gortyos" (Spelling? Nationality, maybe persian). I thought you could use ABS tubes, cut like 6 of them and glue them to a frame of some kind in two rows, one above the other, then cover them with like cloth or suede or something. use belt straps that keep it hanging where you want, and maybe your idea of lead fishing weights.

Quivers - Kurn? My_gor10

Quivers - Kurn? Gorytu10

Quivers - Kurn? Cherri10

Quivers - Kurn? Persia10

Quivers - Kurn? Quiver10

Quivers - Kurn? Tawash10

Of course, since I sold my bow and arrows, I'm not thinking of building anything like that. However, I still am the custodian of the Realm loaner bow and so I may be making loaner arrows and maybe a quiver like the Big 5 type with the lead sinkers inside.

I am still thinking about a portable Archer's nest. scratch

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Phoxly

Phoxly

Quivers - Kurn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quivers - Kurn?   Quivers - Kurn? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 6:34 pm

>__> Pringles cans!
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Quivers - Kurn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quivers - Kurn?   Quivers - Kurn? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 7:10 pm

Snack of the Archery gods!

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

Quivers - Kurn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quivers - Kurn?   Quivers - Kurn? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 8:15 pm

konradr wrote:
Snack of the Archery gods!

Konradr

=D you can also cut out the bottom of the cans, and glue 3-4 together and each can could hold an arrow?
Back to top Go down
K'urn

K'urn

Quivers - Kurn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quivers - Kurn?   Quivers - Kurn? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 9:24 pm

I have seen and dealt with MANY quiver designs. The fact that I don't use a quiver should tell you my general view of them.
Put that aside and, I have seen several quivers work. The main issue with what works is, how you carry it. On your back or on your hip.
Konrad is onto a very useful idea that I've seen many people make work. Using golf tubes instead of abs piping. The golf tubes are lighter and will give a little if you fall on them (preventing injury to you).
I have also seen people use what I refer to as the 'peacock method'. Which is essentially a leather loop that you attach to your belt and slide as many arrows as you can in it. The heads naturally flay the fletchings out...like a peacock.
The type of quiver would depend greatly on two things....where you want it and, how many arrows you want to carry. I guess a general rule of thumb is (if you don't want to go too fancy, i.e. using arrow clamps and the like), whatever you put the arrow in, make sure it hits more to the head side than the fletching side.

Hope this helped...I'm really tired.

K-
Back to top Go down
Isk

Isk

Quivers - Kurn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quivers - Kurn?   Quivers - Kurn? I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 10:52 pm

Thanks for your feedback Kurn. I tend to be a very mobile archer and it frustrates me to no end to lose my arrows while running or hang on the arrows and not be able to shoot. I have tried the peacock method and, as I am sure you know, all of the arrows pick their own direction to poke out and they really get in the way of movement.

I think I am leaning toward something along the lines of what Konradr and Phoxly suggested. What I have now that works is similar to the pringles can, although it's a ~2.25" shipping tube with lead weights added to the bottom to balance the weight of the heads and keep it pointing the right way. It works pretty good, but it's a little tight on the vanes when moving in and out.

I was thinking along the lines of some of the middle eastern and steppe stuff, like you and Konradr suggested, some of their quivers actually flare at the bottom like this:
Quivers - Kurn? Fig_2

I was thinking if I built a good leather quiver that flares at the base as above, but is shallower to put the arrowheads further out of the mouth that may work the best (with some lead in the base to keep things pointed the right direction).
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

Quivers - Kurn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quivers - Kurn?   Quivers - Kurn? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2009 12:06 am

Isk wrote:
Thanks for your feedback Kurn. I tend to be a very mobile archer and it frustrates me to no end to lose my arrows while running or hang on the arrows and not be able to shoot. I have tried the peacock method and, as I am sure you know, all of the arrows pick their own direction to poke out and they really get in the way of movement.

I think I am leaning toward something along the lines of what Konradr and Phoxly suggested. What I have now that works is similar to the pringles can, although it's a ~2.25" shipping tube with lead weights added to the bottom to balance the weight of the heads and keep it pointing the right way. It works pretty good, but it's a little tight on the vanes when moving in and out.

I was thinking along the lines of some of the middle eastern and steppe stuff, like you and Konradr suggested, some of their quivers actually flare at the bottom like this:
Quivers - Kurn? Fig_2

I was thinking if I built a good leather quiver that flares at the base as above, but is shallower to put the arrowheads further out of the mouth that may work the best (with some lead in the base to keep things pointed the right direction).

Honestly the pringles idea was something I thought up off the top of my head, I don't think anyone in our Bel realm used quivers, I think Katsu used his belt loops once, and had 3 arrows in one hand, one in the hand he was holding the bow.

Though I really like Konradr's quiver above, mostly because if I go archery I want to have a red backup sword, preferably velcrowed to the quiver and easily accessed.
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Quivers - Kurn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quivers - Kurn?   Quivers - Kurn? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2009 7:59 am

I have read that English Longbowmen of the 100 years war era, preferred to use the arrow transport 'shief'(?) rather than a quiver. The shief was like a canvas or cloth funnel shaped bag, with a wood base and a wood neck. The neck had holes drilled into it for storing the arrows. The base meant the shief could be stood up. These were for transporting arrows in the supply wagons, but the individual archers liked to grab them and carry them with them and set them on the ground in front of them to draw arrows while shooting. I think the shieves held like 24 arrows or somesuch. The base was wider than the neck. The archers didn't hook them to anything, they carried them and set them on the ground when they needed arrows.

Quote :
Though I really like Konradr's quiver above, mostly because if I go archery I want to have a red backup sword, preferably velcrowed to the quiver and easily accessed.

There was a guy in Aggelgorod that we fought against when we made our visit back in July. Forgive me, I have forgotten his name, but he was dressed in great garb, as a mongolian. He had a bow (Can't remember if he used a quiver) but his sidearm was like a huge single bladed Red, um , cleaver like thing. He had a sling tied to the hilt and then to his belt and when he was using his bow, he just slung that thing over his shoulder and it hung down his back. He was a good guy. Though he had never met us before, when he left he gave us each a hearty handshake and the warrior half hug, that's a sign of honor and respect. Remember that young warriors

Konradr
Back to top Go down
K'urn

K'urn

Quivers - Kurn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quivers - Kurn?   Quivers - Kurn? I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2009 2:22 pm

That was Taltosh. He is a great fighter. Isk, for your quiver I would still suggest the golf tubes. They will keep the fletchings from fouling up on each other.

K-
Back to top Go down
Isk

Isk

Quivers - Kurn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quivers - Kurn?   Quivers - Kurn? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 8:00 am

Well, we'll see what we get now. Thanks for all the feedback, everyone.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Quivers - Kurn? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quivers - Kurn?   Quivers - Kurn? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Quivers - Kurn?
Page 1 of 1