Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

Dense line combat.

Go down 
+2
sasquatch
konradr
6 posters
AuthorMessage
konradr

konradr

Dense line combat. Empty
PostSubject: Dense line combat.   Dense line combat. I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 5:20 pm

Fighting on a small field with lots of fighters means the lines will be dense. What I mean by dense is that the lines will be two or more people deep and will stretch from edge of the world to edge of the world with very little open flank.

This means skirmishers will not have a flank to threaten and will have to seek gaps in the enemy line to exploit.

Thus we have the following tactic as depicted in the 3 diagrams. We have a squad of big, bruiser Berserker's (tripple B's!) Whose job will be to bust a hole through the enemy line at a chosen point.

They will be closely followed by the Special Forces, the skirmisher/flanker's, most likely Taco's black lions, who will exploit the gap to fan out in the enemy rear and create chaos or to count coup. (You must count coup with a smile for the camera)

Dense line combat. Dense_10

Dense line combat. Dense_11

Dense line combat. Dense_12

Where will you be when the herald says "lay on!"

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
sasquatch

sasquatch

Dense line combat. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dense line combat.   Dense line combat. I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 5:42 pm

uhhhhhh wtf i never remember seeing this but hell to the yeah dude this strategy kicks ass and it will works on mobs toothe line will have to be fast to get the desired affect though in reality what is happening is three charges..... so it will be the timing aspect and spacing love it konrade

Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/kookiecrazy
caretaker

caretaker

Dense line combat. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dense line combat.   Dense line combat. I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 6:27 pm

breaking a hole in lines like that is quite difficult to execute. We've tried it on numerous occasions. Sometimes they just end up holding the line and not let anyone though and other times we'd get killed running through the hole as they would close the gap.

Its really alot of fun to play around with, and I'm sure it can be done. Its hard when you have 200ish people on the lines, its nothing but chaos.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/thomasalesterayers?re
Phoxly

Phoxly

Dense line combat. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dense line combat.   Dense line combat. I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 6:31 pm

I think those Skirmishers would get picked off running between two enemy's like that. It's not like the beserkers would literally BUST OPEN a hole in the wall, but rather they would need to kill through them as well, while avoiding the ever so easy back gank as they run through people on the sides of their attempted hole.
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Dense line combat. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dense line combat.   Dense line combat. I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 7:09 pm

The lines would have to be engaged. The berserkers are big guys, gonna die but bulldoze people over and die on top of them to create a hole and confusion. The skirmishers have to be fast and violent in order to get the desired affect before the line reacts. The main line has started to engage once the berserkers rushed. Jav's an arrows all thrown at the berserk charge point when the command to 'go' is given.

Might work, might not, just remember to have fun.

konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
sasquatch

sasquatch

Dense line combat. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dense line combat.   Dense line combat. I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 8:25 pm

konrade have you seen mongol yet?
yeah there is a lot of way to make this more solid but i like the concept and if people can listen and keep cool i think it could work affectively and a huge 200 man line it would honestly be a cavalry squad at that point to cut the line and start causing chaos and back hacks everywhere but the cavalry would have to be quick and have great shieldwork
Back to top Go down
Acrid the Fool

Acrid the Fool

Dense line combat. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dense line combat.   Dense line combat. I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 8:52 pm

somebody say bulldoze? i know a certain Barrikaide who specializes in that lol
Back to top Go down
sasquatch

sasquatch

Dense line combat. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dense line combat.   Dense line combat. I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 10:10 pm

lol yeah
Back to top Go down
Tiberius Claudius

Dense line combat. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dense line combat.   Dense line combat. I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 10:38 pm

Good tactic - this is just how the Romans would defeat the phalanxes of the Arche Seleukea and Ptolemaic Egypt.

Using heavy infantry (barbarian mercenaries, of course) such as Gaesetae, Drapanai, or Thraikioi Rhomphaiaphoroi (and cavalry when not fighting phalanxes) they would smash into and through the lines with complete disregard to their safety. The object was to play human bowling and knock down, disrupt, and kill whomever they could. The instant the slightest bit of confusion occurred was the cue for the archers and legionnaires with their pila to rain hell down on the enemy line, followed by either a main line charge or additional medium infantry such as thureophoroi, designed to be able to take it to the enemy and survive for a bit in order to conserve the Italic roman troops.

The key is that the first wave, the BBB's, need to only smash people and knock them down without regard to dying or hurting the other line. It's all about being nothing more than a living wrecking ball. I particularly hate that about our games, but it is what it takes to win decisively. Right on their heels needs to be the second wave to take advantage of the chaos and kill anyone left standing (or on the ground) or who thought to sidestep the rush and hack some backs.

Now there are a couple of different places in the line to do this, and each has their own ups and downs. If its done on the extreme flank, then the rushers and follow up troops don't need to worry about back hacks from both sides. Unfortunately, the enemy line can wheel back to get a better front on your forces. Doing it about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way down the line from the flank exposes the rushers to hits from both sides, but allows the attackers to kill and separate many more of the enemy line in the initial attack. Finally sending the attack into the center of the line (or wherever the best fighters are concentrated) has the same drawbacks but allows the most confusion to be created since the force is effectively cut in half and possibly the best fighters are wiped out instantly.
Back to top Go down
sasquatch

sasquatch

Dense line combat. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dense line combat.   Dense line combat. I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 11:11 pm

well spoken tib
Back to top Go down
caretaker

caretaker

Dense line combat. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dense line combat.   Dense line combat. I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 3:34 am

This strategy is why we had made our battering ram that i had showed you guys along time ago, like i said, i havn't seen it work fully yet, but its possible if practiced enough.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/thomasalesterayers?re
sasquatch

sasquatch

Dense line combat. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dense line combat.   Dense line combat. I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 15, 2011 5:15 am

lmao RA drills
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dense line combat. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dense line combat.   Dense line combat. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dense line combat.
Page 1 of 1