Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

Line tactics or dispositions...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
konradr

konradr

Line tactics or dispositions... Empty
PostSubject: Line tactics or dispositions...   Line tactics or dispositions... I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 01, 2010 3:23 pm

From the bel boards, Tiberius from ATD states:

Quote :
Since most people were and are right handed (in fact the latin word for "left" is sinister) the "strong" side of a formation is the left or shield side. Therefore, somewhat inexperienced or less-than-elite troops could be on that end of the line because they had their shields to rely on for extra defense. Likewise, the "weak" side of a formation is the right side because you only have your sword to rely on to save you, while at the same time you had to overcome the enemy's shield to kill him. Thus, the best units were on the right end of the formation and, as we see on our own fields today, the great toilet bowl effect could ensue unless one side was "anchored" on terrain or one side ended up defeating the other.

and Forkbeard follows with:

Quote :
Good **** question.
And good, very good, answer. Nice work man.
I can decide which way is better for Belegarth, we've(the WUH) have tried both.
We've put our new guys togther as a group and tried to support them. This works ok, but you can't rely on a group of new guys alone to live while you repsition or ward off an attack by a really good team.
This type of action tend to lead into having a slow block of new guys and a very fast, smaller group of Vets that end up acting like Cavalry.
If you stager your people: newguy/vet/newguy/vet/newguy/vet: you get alot better line, but loose you cavalry support. This can work with a good set of rear guards, but it's dicey. You either really **** WORK the rest of the field, or eventually you get flanked and everybody goes down after slaughtering whoever you get caught fighting.
It really depends on who your fighting.
FB

Any thoughts?

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
sasquatch

sasquatch

PostSubject: Re: Line tactics or dispositions...   Line tactics or dispositions... I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 5:54 pm

forkbeards group did exactly this it wasn't a static line so much though but they would group up on the major danger and form up there wall with the reds and spears pestering but he would always have 2 really competent people watch rear and they didn't have this cavalry but they won every unit battle a samhain
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/kookiecrazy
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Line tactics or dispositions...   Line tactics or dispositions... I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 6:10 pm

Warwolves on the right with spears and poking things. Black Lions on the left for desimating the enemy team's right side? Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
sasquatch

sasquatch

PostSubject: Re: Line tactics or dispositions...   Line tactics or dispositions... I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2011 6:11 pm

and RA putting up the d
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/kookiecrazy
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Line tactics or dispositions...   Line tactics or dispositions... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Line tactics or dispositions...
Page 1 of 1