Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

**IMPROVMENT THREAD**

Go down 
+4
K'urn
Knubbs
Phoxly
caretaker
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
caretaker

caretaker

**IMPROVMENT THREAD** Empty
PostSubject: **IMPROVMENT THREAD**   **IMPROVMENT THREAD** I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 2:10 pm

Many talks with other realm members has brought me to start this thread.

This thread is for any sort of improvements within the realm. Whether it be from the way things are organised, to games, to things you are looking to get out of the realm, or in general improvements.

I bring this up only because I hear people unhappy with certain things and unafraid to bring these issues up with someone. I thought this might be a good way for the people in charge of the realm to get feedback. This way we can keep politics from keeping people from being heard.

However, This topic is not for you to put aims on other people. if you would like to compliment or thank someone that is fine. This is not for personal disputes, however, just the organisation of things.

If you are still afraid to bring something up, please feel free to sign in as a guest and post anonymously. DON'T ABUSE THIS!!!

Barad'Dun is in fact all of ours to share and is easily shared though solutions.

Feel free to share!!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/thomasalesterayers?re
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: **IMPROVMENT THREAD**   **IMPROVMENT THREAD** I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 6:32 pm

Well I can't really ask for any improvements based on last practice cause lets be honest, it was a shitty day. Spears were flying everywhere, coffin shields were raping anyone under 150lbs, and it was just an off day it felt.

My only general improvement I'd love to see is more fighting. Alacian told me that usually there is more free for alls and sparring between battle games, whichwhat I love most is general sparring. In Shannara we had an hour or so of just meatgrinder (free for all) and as soon as you die you go touch a tree and go back into the fight. Its pretty much the best way to get better at fighting IMO cause you can respawn and try to take out the person who killed you and its a good time to get some lessons in (chit chatting about technique while you fight). Felt disapointed in our opening free for all when half of the people die and walk over to the gazebo and watch while the Tier 3's battle it out when they could just jump back into the fray.

I'd love to play kill the killer (you die til the person who killed you is killed) next practice too, that would be really fun with the different levels of skill in Barad'dun.

REALLY hope we don't have the horrid wind next time cause that really threw off everyone's game.

Also I think we should focus onthe quality of loaner weapons on our build day. Seems like alot of the loaner weapons are kind of awkward and put some people at a disadvantage because of this. I'd like to see a sort of 'standard' that all of our swords meet. For example Caretaker's sword that I shamelessly borrowed without permission is pretty awesome, its light, mid-length, and doesn't feel awkward at all. If we had more of this generic style blue sword (Taco has a few like this, so do a few others) I think we'd have a better game. Learning to fight on awkward weapons really makes things tough when your opponent has a balanced weapon.

Nice thread Caretaker. I think the next few weeks are goin to define Barad'dun's status as a great realm.
Back to top Go down
caretaker

caretaker

PostSubject: Re: **IMPROVMENT THREAD**   **IMPROVMENT THREAD** I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 10:10 pm

^hello phoxly,

You just happen to come on a bad day. Usually the fighting doesn't end so earily, i took a look at the time and was like "what! its only this time!" however, every practice is different. Usually the last thing of the day is what they call Vanhalla, i dont know how to spell that. Which is a free for all respawn where you can choose small teams or be a hero.

Kill the killer was one of our favourites back home with The Iron Hills Clan:D We played it here once and everyone seemed to like it.

The loaner weapons are loaner weapons for a reason. lol Gotta get your own equipment:D Which is something that everyone has been trying to do. Part of the sport itself is making stuff and then using it:D

Your more than welcome to my stuff any time Im not using it:D just ask me so I know:D AND Im willing to build with people if you ever want to pick me up and build:D
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: **IMPROVMENT THREAD**   **IMPROVMENT THREAD** I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 10:54 pm

Sweet (: I will bring some materials and/or some extra money for some supplies on build day. Saturday I'll try to get an idea of what I want to build for myself and get extras for the realm. Its gonna be pretty awesome I think.
Back to top Go down
Knubbs

Knubbs

PostSubject: Re: **IMPROVMENT THREAD**   **IMPROVMENT THREAD** I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 2:14 pm

pssst... Caretaker.... its Valhalla (Norse heaven)

**IMPROVMENT THREAD** Valhalla
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: **IMPROVMENT THREAD**   **IMPROVMENT THREAD** I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 2:25 pm

How do you get to it? o.0 The rainbow?
Back to top Go down
Knubbs

Knubbs

PostSubject: Re: **IMPROVMENT THREAD**   **IMPROVMENT THREAD** I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 4:44 pm

its called the bi-frost bridge and yes its a rainbow. Even m-fing vikings liked rainbows.
Back to top Go down
K'urn

K'urn

PostSubject: Re: **IMPROVMENT THREAD**   **IMPROVMENT THREAD** I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 6:33 pm

That is correct. The 'loaner' weapons were originally made with the cheapest (some would say sub-par) materials we could find. For the sole purpose that people would not like them, thus spurning you to acquire your own kit.

K-
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: **IMPROVMENT THREAD**   **IMPROVMENT THREAD** I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 7:22 pm

Good theory I suppose Razz
Back to top Go down
sasquatch

sasquatch

PostSubject: Re: **IMPROVMENT THREAD**   **IMPROVMENT THREAD** I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 7:59 pm

i know that is why i'm makin mine
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/kookiecrazy
Demie Zephyra

Demie Zephyra

PostSubject: Re: **IMPROVMENT THREAD**   **IMPROVMENT THREAD** I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 8:04 pm

Haha.

I liked the loaners.

They were heavy. Made my arms a little stronger.
Back to top Go down
Knubbs

Knubbs

PostSubject: Re: **IMPROVMENT THREAD**   **IMPROVMENT THREAD** I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 9:23 pm

We also made the loaners as a practice for people to make weapons for the first time. And they were made to be abused.
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: **IMPROVMENT THREAD**   **IMPROVMENT THREAD** I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 10:16 pm

I guess if we are going to make loaners we should be as frugal as possible with our materials and spread them as much as we can to make swords no bigger than 2 feet long. We'll call them 'Shannara loaners'. I think we could all learn something from fighting with mini blue swords Very Happy

Edit: WITH STABBY TIPS! (True Shannara tradition.)
Back to top Go down
caretaker

caretaker

PostSubject: Re: **IMPROVMENT THREAD**   **IMPROVMENT THREAD** I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 11:01 pm

In my opinion, we don't need any more of them, more people need to make their own. Also having your own stuff you don't have to worry about breaking anything thats not yours*caugh* Sasquatch *caugh* Edgar *caugh* lol just kidding.

Back in PA we used our loaners in the same fashion. Loaners and training, because they were made out of PVC and were heavy.

and Sorry i didnt know how to spell it.
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: **IMPROVMENT THREAD**   **IMPROVMENT THREAD** I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 1:28 am

Yeah using one of those crappy heavy 3 and a half foot black swords with a tiny shield has really made me realize I need my own weapon and shield. Which I intend to make this weekend. I'll probably make 3 swords/beat sticks and pick the better for myself, and leave the other two for new loaners Razz

Btw does anyone know the exact rules on Javalin headshots? Are they allowed? I usually go for leg shots under shields, but there are a few times I thought I could have got a headshot but decided against as I wasn't sure the exact rules. I've been hit in the head by one that bounched up off my shield in Bel before and took it as a legit hit.
Back to top Go down
Knubbs

Knubbs

PostSubject: Re: **IMPROVMENT THREAD**   **IMPROVMENT THREAD** I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 1:36 am

Javelins act just like missile weapons in that since if thrown. So if an arrow kills so can a javelin.
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: **IMPROVMENT THREAD**   **IMPROVMENT THREAD** I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 4:05 am

Good to know Knubbs.
Back to top Go down
Isk

Isk

PostSubject: Re: **IMPROVMENT THREAD**   **IMPROVMENT THREAD** I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 9:44 pm

Phoxly, regarding the death you took after it bounced off the shield -- you shouldn't have. In both bel and dag once a projectile has been deflected it is harmless. Within bel the deflection must be 30 degrees or greater, but within dag if it deflects AT ALL, even minutely, it has struck and is no longer able to cause injury to another target. It was actually Par that clarified that one for me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.antirdearg.com
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: **IMPROVMENT THREAD**   **IMPROVMENT THREAD** I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 3:19 pm

-facepalm- Thanks Isk haha. Its kind of like 'foot on ground' in a way. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Scrios

Scrios

PostSubject: ..   **IMPROVMENT THREAD** I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 5:12 pm

to answers phoxly's question on javelins they do kill if you get hit in the face with the and you can use them as spears too :P
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: **IMPROVMENT THREAD**   **IMPROVMENT THREAD** I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 7:06 pm

http://www.dagorhir.com/dagorhir/Rules.htm

Twisted Evil

Re-reading the rules over lunch break.
Back to top Go down
caretaker

caretaker

PostSubject: Re: **IMPROVMENT THREAD**   **IMPROVMENT THREAD** I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 10:48 pm

You gotta download the pdf, cause i think the rules on the page are missing a few sections. I know there are updates on the forums. I should re-read the rules myself, although ive been in Dag for a while, its always good to refresh.
Back to top Go down
Knubbs

Knubbs

PostSubject: Re: **IMPROVMENT THREAD**   **IMPROVMENT THREAD** I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 10:58 pm

yeah, the PDF is what you want... our website has it if you want to go there... in the documents page
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: **IMPROVMENT THREAD**   **IMPROVMENT THREAD** I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 11:03 pm

There are alot of rules that get confusing if you think too much into them. Like if you hit a shield with a red hit once, then hit it again its broken, and if you hit it one more time before they drop it then it counts as a red hit on the body as if it went through it*.

My question on red shield hits, can the red hit be on the top of the shield? Like if I go for a glaive high cross strike and they block it with their shield, thats a red hit right?

From what I understand a red hit doesn't have to be hard, it has to be solid and equivelant to a hit you'd take on your own body.
Back to top Go down
Knubbs

Knubbs

PostSubject: Re: **IMPROVMENT THREAD**   **IMPROVMENT THREAD** I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 17, 2010 11:33 pm

Phoxly wrote:
There are alot of rules that get confusing if you think too much into them. Like if you hit a shield with a red hit once, then hit it again its broken, and if you hit it one more time before they drop it then it counts as a red hit on the body as if it went through it*.

My question on red shield hits, can the red hit be on the top of the shield? Like if I go for a glaive high cross strike and they block it with their shield, thats a red hit right?

From what I understand a red hit doesn't have to be hard, it has to be solid and equivelant to a hit you'd take on your own body.

4.3.6 - All Red weapons when used two-handed can destroy a shield with two solid blows
from their legal striking surface (e.g., a solid hit from the haft of a glaive would not
count). Blows which are mostly blocked by another weapon and light or glancing hits to a
shield do not count as "shield breaking" hits. The fighter wielding the shield judges if the
blows are solid "shield-breaking" red hits; however, the physical size of the fighter
delivering the blows must always be considered; i.e., a "solid" hit from a smaller, lighter
person will generally feel "lighter" than one from a more massive fighter.

and the after broken part

4.7.8 - When a shield is destroyed by two red-weapon hits, the wielder of the shield must
immediately drop the shield. Additional hits from any type of weapon that strike before
the shield is dropped count as though the shield isn't there (generally counting first
against the shield-wielder's arm, then their torso).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: **IMPROVMENT THREAD**   **IMPROVMENT THREAD** I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

**IMPROVMENT THREAD**
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next