Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

longsword/greatsword/zwiehander red/blue???

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
konradr

konradr

longsword/greatsword/zwiehander red/blue??? Empty
PostSubject: longsword/greatsword/zwiehander red/blue???   longsword/greatsword/zwiehander red/blue??? I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 6:25 pm

I have a 48" gray pvc core that I was going to make into a Pilum (roman weighted javelin). Instead after talking to Ximali last saturday about war flail's, I made it into one by quadruple taping the shaft, putting courtesy cusions, cutting off my mace's head and using it as the flail ball, and running about 5 feet or rope through the entire core to attach head to shaft. Trouble was it flexed terribly so I scraped that idea. I put the flail head on a 4 foot piece of rattan instead.

Now I have this pvc core with a nice grip, quadruple taped from head to foot, reenforced with rope inside. So what to do? scrap the hilt and make a heavy javelin or.....How about a longsword/greatsword???

I haven't been able to lure my son away from his sleepover's with his cousins and their nightly bouts of Xbox mania. But he did talk about Greatswords after the one dagorhir visit he had.

From what I've been gleaning from Kurn's weapon's build discussions, correct me if I am wrong, if I make a 50 inch sword (say a 12" inch hilt, with a 36" blade tipped with about 3 inches of stabbing foam) with regular blue camp mat, that would basically be a longsword and a blue weapon. Correct? Not a red? If I wanted a minimum red, same length would be okay, but use a sturdier foam like the yoga mat's mentioned? Then it would be a red or still just too small (kind of like me)?

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
K'urn

K'urn

PostSubject: Re: longsword/greatsword/zwiehander red/blue???   longsword/greatsword/zwiehander red/blue??? I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 8:27 pm

Anything over 48" (total length) is classified as red. The only reason they have a min-max for blues is so no one can have a 10" sword blade (not that I can see why someone would WANT a 10" sword blade).

That being said, having a blue with a blade that long would be a little hard to use (one handed). Most of the time when dealing with two-handed blues the blade length is more around the 28"-32" range. I know that's not much difference, but if the weapon is long enough to be a red it will be tested as a red. Even if you build it so that the total length comes out 3"-4" shy of 48" it will still be intended as a two handed sword (made obvious by the 12" handle), thereby dictating that it gets tested using two handed swings.

What I would suggest is this. Take the 50" core, cut it down to 40". Mark the handle at 12" (you will add a couple inches with the pommel). Now you have a core marked with a 12" handle leaving a 28" for the blade build. Once you build the blade and stabbing tip you will be adding 3"-4". This should leave you with a longsword with a 14" handle and a 32" blade. Leaving you 2" shy of 48".

Now, the tough part will be making the blade safe for two handed swings. If you don't want to use the yoga mat, all I can suggest is, build it and see. Sometimes 3 or 4 layers of blue foam is all you need. It just depends on that particular batch of foam. But, if you make it safe for two handed swings...why not just make it red?

I would get with people (like Sasquatch) and see if they would chip in to buy a yoga mat. I think it's only like $25, I would split one with you. However, unfortunately, we are in a very bad place financially right now and I just can't afford anything. Maybe in a couple of weeks.

Good luck on the build. I'm here if you have any more questions.

K-
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: longsword/greatsword/zwiehander red/blue???   longsword/greatsword/zwiehander red/blue??? I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 6:57 pm

I think the longsword I have is about 32" so I am going to simply redo it by adding a stabbing tip. I like threatening with the point (a rapier habit) and be able to use it as well as the edges.

Those rubbery, blue yoga mats are at walmart for $19.00 but even I have only so much money too spend, and usually right after payday. There is never enough and many times even my small allowance must go for family needs.

As for the 48" pole, I've made it, as best I can, into a minimum red. I read on the Dagorhir forum that many have made minimum reds with blue foam by making about 4 layers. This I did and added a stabbing tip. I will name the sword "bonesplitter". If it passes weapons inspection I may use it, but most likely will lent it as a loaner to whomever wants to use it. I'm not really a big sword user. Just had the itch to build it. I may even give it away to one of the youngster's who can't afford to build their own weapons. It's not as nice looking as one of Kurn's weapons, but it should suffice til one can build their own.

I have constructed alot of weapons to see what I like to use. Anything I can't use or don't like I will rebuild into something else or will give to the loaner weapon pool for the realm. I like sword and board. I like the flail. I liked the spear but have converted it into a halberd and hope I will like that even more. I love the javelin and hope to make more. Some day I would like to venture into bow and arrow. I have found a local guy selling longbows on ebay for around $35 to $45 dollars. Northstar archery sells black fiberglass Martin bows (25lb draw, SCA) for $33. And of course Edellen arrow kits are only $3.00 each.

Maybe for those of us who might have extra garb or weapons that we no longer need or want, we could either adopt a member who is less fortunate and donate, or we could, better yet, have a 'ungarbed tournament'. We could have a prize or prizes that consists of donated garb and weapons, etc and have all the ungarbed folk fight single weapon or dagger in a tournament or tournaments to win the prizes. Idea.

Well, must get ready for work.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: longsword/greatsword/zwiehander red/blue???   longsword/greatsword/zwiehander red/blue??? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

longsword/greatsword/zwiehander red/blue???
Page 1 of 1