Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

Blue Construction

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Hxctemplar

Hxctemplar

Blue Construction Empty
PostSubject: Blue Construction   Blue Construction I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 11:19 pm

I started rebuilding that blue/green dagger I told Konradr about (the foam on the bottom completely came off, the glue must have dried up) and I measured the blade/striking surface; it only came out to 8 inches.

We've been counting that as a blue for awhile, so I just need to make sure of something before I finish it; does the whole weapon need to be 12 inch, or the striking surface/blade 12 inches?

Either way I can make it pass as a blue (know a few tricks to get it to 12) I just need to know before I start putting layers on it.

Side note: thinking of making an axe out of the small hammer, does the face of the axe have to be 12 inch total to count as blue, or does the surface + haft have to be 12 inch?
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Blue Construction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Construction   Blue Construction I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 8:50 pm

Sorry for the late reply Templar. The manual of Arms (which can be read by anyone at the dagorhir website here http://www.dagorhir.com/dagorhir/Rules.htm ) states the following:

Quote :
4.2.2 - Blue swords must have a minimum blade length of 12 inches from above the handgrip to the tip and a maximum total length less than 48 inches.

So the blade has to be 12 inches above the handgrip. So that Dagger has been erroneously used as a blue. But it was Kurn that checked it so maybe he was in a hurry that day. Very Happy

The only actual mention of "Daggers" that I found in my brief look (since I'm trying to get my lunch and get ready for work and do this check) is in the 'green weapon' section.

Quote :
4.4.1 - Green weapons are stabbing weapons, such as spears, sword points, daggers, and stabbing points on pole arms.

Hope this helps in the reconstruction/deconstruction of any of our weapons.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
K'urn

K'urn

Blue Construction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Construction   Blue Construction I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 5:40 pm

Did you measure it with the foam or without? It's possible, but I doubt I was off by 4". Which dagger is this, is it one of the original Army daggers?

K-
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Blue Construction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Construction   Blue Construction I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 5:51 pm

No, it was my first dagger, the one I made by cutting off the tip of the two handed sword I made that broke into parts. A very nice, quick dagger, double edged, looked like a thick roman pugio.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Hxctemplar

Hxctemplar

Blue Construction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Construction   Blue Construction I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 7:17 pm

I measured w/ the foam and with the stabbing tip it only got to 8 1/2''

If I put stacks of foam on the tip before I do the layers, and layer over those, then have the stabbing tip w/ the final layer, do you think that would be safe/passable?

Blue Construction Dag10

Kinda like that. The Dark blue is the little stack of blue foam. If i did the dagger that way (with padding on the side + tape to keep it from ripping off) would that pass or even last a practice?
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Blue Construction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Construction   Blue Construction I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 7:44 pm

Might work ok. Might be easy to rip off the top foam since there's alot of foam and no core. I wouldn't worry about rebuilding it and wasting alot of foam. If the core is too short, just make it into a 'green only' (stabby) dagger. A claw if you will!

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Blue Construction Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blue Construction   Blue Construction I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Blue Construction
Page 1 of 1