Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

War Wolves of Barad'Dun

Go down 
+16
Tiberius Claudius
Faolan
Alacian
Smithy
sasquatch
Pheasant
Taco
Thunderhorse
Knubbs
Oddvar
Surt
Strider
Sarabi
Hxctemplar
Phoxly
konradr
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Tiberius Claudius

War Wolves of Barad'Dun - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: War Wolves of Barad'Dun   War Wolves of Barad'Dun - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 12:50 am

How fare the War Wolves of Barad'dun?
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: War Wolves of Barad'Dun   War Wolves of Barad'Dun - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 1:47 am

6 War Wolves at large in Barad'Dun. 3 Serving on other Ships along distant shores. 9 Blood Brothers, 7 here and 2 in far off lands. We are well.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: War Wolves of Barad'Dun   War Wolves of Barad'Dun - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 6:47 pm

Vikings navigated the oceans with sundials aboard their Norse ships. But on an overcast day, sundials would have been useless. Many researchers have suggested that the on foggy days, Vikings looked toward the sky through rock crystals called sunstones to give them direction.

No one had tested the theory until recently.

A team sailed the Arctic Ocean aboard the Swedish icebreaker Oden and found that sunstones could indeed light the way in foggy and cloudy conditions.
Would have worked

Crystals such as cordierite, calcite or turmaline work like polarizing filters, changing in brightness and color as they detect the angle of sunlight. From these changes, Vikings could have accurately determined where the polarized sky light was coming from and pinpointed the direction of the sun, said biophysicist Gabor Horvath.

How it Works

Top images show the Arctic sky on day of (a) fog, (b) sun, and (c) clouds. Images d-f show patterns of the degree of linear polarization. The faint gray line delineates between the sun and the anti-sun. The direction of polarization is perpendicular to the plane of scattering determined by the sun, the observer and the celestial point observed. Readings from two different points in the sky allow one to draw circles passing through these points perpendicularly to the direction of light polarization, and the circles intersect at the sun and anti-sun. The angle of polarization can be seen in images g-i. Click to enlarge
Credit: G. Horvath/Proceedings of the Royal Society A
"Under foggy or cloudy conditions a Viking navigator could have guessed the position of the sun hidden by clouds or fog by determining the sky light polarization in two celestial points ... and could have guessed the position of the invisible sun," said Horvath, of Eotvos University in Budapest. "Although all these are pure hypotheses, researchers can test the scientific possibility of such a polarimetric navigation."

In previous studies Horvath and colleagues demonstrated that Vikings might have required some kind of device, other than just the naked eye, to accurately guess the position of the sun on cloudy days.

Their latest findings, published in the April issue of the journal Proceedings of the Royal Society A, suggest that if Vikings were to have sunstones onboard, the Norsemen could have used them to determine where to go.

Lack of evidence

Unlike with Viking sundials, archaeologists have yet to find any remnants of sunstones.

The sunstone theory was first proposed in 1966 by the Danish archaeologist Thorkild Ramskou. Yet the only hint that Vikings used sunstones comes from a mention in a Viking legend, known as a saga.

"Although there is neither archaeological, nor historical evidence supporting this theory, it is so nice and splendid that it can easily trap the fantasy and imagination of both professional and amateur scientists," Horvath told LiveScience.

War Wolves of Barad'Dun - Page 4 070302_viking_ship_02
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: War Wolves of Barad'Dun   War Wolves of Barad'Dun - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 30, 2011 8:16 pm

Here is a link to download the War Wolf Charter as an Audio file.

War Wolf Charter Audio File.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: War Wolves of Barad'Dun   War Wolves of Barad'Dun - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 8:20 pm

Official War Wolf Sashes will be as follows:

Sash Dimension's.

I bought 4 yards of the Gray duct we use for the Sash. I will buy more when I can to have a constant supply. I have decided on the dimension's of the new sash. Though I thoroughly believe that Uniformity is a Modern conception only, and this belief will be evident throughout my choices, I do believe the Sash dimension's and basic gray color should be uniform throughout the Brotherhood. Thus any War Wolf from any Realm and ship is easily identifiable as a War Wolf and something to be feared.

I welcome our new ship from An Tir Dearg, and I applaud the passion and devotion shown by all War Wolves in their unit to this date. I envision the day we will all camp at the same event and raise hell on the battlefield and fill Valhalla with many a soul.

It is my duty as Senior Shipmaster to provide each ship with enough Gray Sash blanks to equip their crews with. The dimension's I am making official for the Sash are this. The blank will be 21” long and 7” wide with a 3” dagged end.

It is the individual Shipmaster's duty to complete the sash with hemming, border's, wolf mark outline's, Ship's Badge and Ship position colors. These task's may also be deligated to Crewmen but it is the Shipmaster's responsibility to ensure it is done.

It is the Crewman's responsibility to maintain the Sash, to keep it clean and gleaming and to provide any rank or awards he/she wish to show on the Sash.

The blank is to be sewn into the Sash dimension's outlined below:

War Wolves of Barad'Dun - Page 4 War_wo10

The Sash will be bordered in Bias tape up to the dagged end and in some cases, including the dagged end. The default color for the War Wolves is Red. The War Wolves of Barad'Dun will have a red border. However, each ship may choose a color based on their likes/dislikes and/or to honor the Realm they are in. An Tir Dearg for instance may choose Red or Black to honor their Realm.

The area's within the sash designated for certain emblem's and symbols will be uniform. However, a little lattitude will be allowed in how they are shown. For instance, the area for the ship badge is the lower 5”-6” of the Sash above the Dag. I will not enforce a uniform 3” badge. Each ship can portray any Ship Symbol, painted, embroidered, sewn or velcroed badge, or Metal pin back badge, as big or small as desired as long as it is within this 5-6” area.

War Wolves of Barad'Dun - Page 4 War_wo11

Rank's shown on the Sash are completely optional. It is my belief that rank is a personal achievement. The Norse liked to boast. Therefore Rank's earned can be shown on the Sash, on the Tabard, on the Shield, on a seperate belt favor or ribbon made by the Crewman or on an over the shoulder Sash or vestment also made by the Crewman.

War Wolves of Barad'Dun - Page 4 Rank_a10

Awards, including those for mastery challenges, are also optional on the Sash or displayed in any way a crewman would display their ranks.

The bigger the better and the more visible the more Norse like.

Ship Position Colors are another matter. Ship positions are leadership positions and should be shown and easily identifiable amongst all War Wolves. Ship positions are assigned by the Ship Master. Thus the shipmaster should provide these colors for the Sash.

The Colors will be as follows:

All Shipmaster's will have a GOLD color.

Bowmaster's will have a SILVER color.

Helmsmen will have a BLUE color.

Quartermaster's will have a GREEN color.

Sailmaster's will have a YELLOW color.

Senior Crewmen will have a BLACK Color.

Crewmen will have the default Border color. For instance Barad'Dun War Wolves will be RED.

There will be two ways of showing this color. The color's will be displayed on the Dagged end either as a border, as a triangle at the tip, as a diamond at the tip, or as a circle at the tip just above the default border. Shipmaster's may choose how they want to display these colors. An option is to place the bearer's rank badge within this colored patch on the dag so that it is easily visible as well.

War Wolves of Barad'Dun - Page 4 War_wo12War Wolves of Barad'Dun - Page 4 Sash_e10

Last edited by konradr on Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: War Wolves of Barad'Dun   War Wolves of Barad'Dun - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 8:35 pm

Ship's Crew of the Longship Raven's Wind.

War Wolves of Barad'Dun - Page 4 Ship_s14

Raven's Wind Officers:[/b][/size]

Shipmaster: Konradr Greywolf. Duties: Captain the ship. Lead the War Wolves to death or victory. In charge of the Oaths of both Brotherhood and the Blood Brother Fellowship. In charge of providing Sashes, various honors, keeping the roster, keeping the challenge list, keeping the Rank list. Care of War Wolf armoury and camp equipment or/unless delegated to other War Wolves. Lead Voting of issues, decide on voting of issues, or make sole decisions where neccessary concerning the Brotherhood, the Fellowship, the fleet, and the Ship Raven's Wind. Diplomat to Foreign embassy's or/unless delegated to other War Wolves. Liason to the Adunakhor of Barad'Dun. Training Officer or/unless delegated to Ratings. Leader of the 1st Watch.

Bowmaster: Oddvar the Terrible. Duties 2nd in Command. The shipmaster's duties when shipmaster unavailable. Punishment officer. Leader of the 2nd Watch.

Raven's Wind Lead Ratings: (non-commissioned Officer class)

Helmsman: James "Templar" Stoneheart: 3rd in Command. Navigator. See the ship on its course. See the War Wolves on their course. Any Shipmaster Duties delegated to him as the Shipmaster needs. Leader of the 3rd Watch.

Quartermaster: Convel. Ship's Carpenter and Armourer. In charge of Ship stores. In charge of Camp equipment and fortifications. Duties as delegated by Shipmaster. 4th in command should the Shipmaster, Bowmaster and Helmsman be incapacitated (missing, drunk, or dead). Chief of 3rd Watch.

Sailmaster: Izmiranna (Izzy) Peregrine. Ship's Chief Sailor. Ship's 2nd navigator adn 2nd helmsman. In charge of Sails, mast's and riggings. In charge of Ship's maintenance. Chief instructor to Crewmen on Sailing. Command of Crewmen while under sail and at the Oars. Other Duties as delegated by Shipmaster. 5th in Command should those officers and Ratings above be incapacitated (missing, drunk or dead). Chief of 2nd Watch.

Raven's Wind Crewmen.

Senior Crewman: Wolf is hereby promoted to senior Crewmen. His duty's will be that of normal Crewmen but he will also act as Chief of the 1st Watch. Any other duties as assigned or delegated by the Shipmaster as a leadership position.

Crewman: Pheasant. 2nd Watch.

Crewman: Bosma. 3rd Watch.

Crewman: Hirgon. 1st Watch.

Probationary Crewman: Tag. As yet unassigned.

General duty's of the Seamen are to sail the ship, to Row the Oars, to maintain the ship, to set up and fortify camp, to forage, to plunder, to and to pillage at the command of the Shipmaster. Seamen will carry out all orders of the Officers and Ratings above them. They will also carry out any tasks delegated to them by the Shipmaster. Seamen will kit themselves out for War and will train in both land fighting, ship fighting as well as general seamanship. Seamen are assigned to a 'Watch'. Watches will take 4 Sand turns on deck duty (4 hours as timed by a sand clock). Watches will also rotate as to Guard, forage and Camp fortification as well as maintenance duties. Watches will be divided into 'battle' formations by watch or by 'All hands' as seen fit by the Shipmaster. Watches will also form the basis for training and friendly Norse competition.

Last edited by konradr on Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: War Wolves of Barad'Dun   War Wolves of Barad'Dun - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2011 8:38 am

negotiations have been under way for a week or so now and I am proud to announce an additional ship and her crew to the ranks of the War Wolves. This ship is the Winterfang, and its Shipmaster is Tiberius Claudius. This ship will sail from An tir Dearg and join us in the never ending battle for wealth and prestige that is every Norse Brother's birthrite.

The War Wolf fleet now consists of three Norse Longship's, Raven's Wind, shipmaster Konradr Greywolf, in Barad'Dun, Winterfang, shipmaster Tiberius Claudius, in An tir Dearg, and Wyvern, shipmaster K'urn Blackwolf, in Sage Hill.

I have posted this welcome to An Tir Dearg's web forum:

Quote :
To the War Wolves of An Tir Dearg....
Welcome to the Norse Brotherhood. May we stand together in one unbreakable shield wall on foreign fields and feed the Raven's with the corpses of our enemies. May we plunder and pillage to our Norse heart's desires, enjoying Good Ale, Good fellowship and a bounty of silver. May our ship's sail together and bring fear to the heart's of our neighbor's and joy to Odin and mighty Thor. If you are in trouble, send the Raven and we will come. Brother's in camp, Brother's in battle, War Wolves never abandon a comrade, we fight to the end, Victory or Valhalla!

Bodulfar!!!

Konradr Greywolf, Shipmaster of the Raven's Wind, leader of the War Wolves of Barad'Dun.

We are planning on coming out to visit you in October if we can swing it. Hope to test your mettle in some Norse Dueling.

Tiberius has replied:

Quote :
Hail!

I, Tiberius Claudius, oath to lead the men who serve me in battle, Norse warriors of fierce countenance and noble and stout heart all, in raids upon our pitiable enemies to take that which they cannot defend and have no legal right to claim according to our laws. May our stores overflow with bounty, and the hull of our mighty vessel, the Winterfang, be laden with furs, slaves, and wealth upon the treacherous deep.

I also oath, on my life and the lives of my sons for three generations, under penalty of outlawry and slavery to subject myself and those in my service to the fair and just rule of the Fleetmaster of the Brotherhood of War Wolves, and to supply the Brotherhood with armed warriors, ships for battle, and a tenth share of all Danegeld, that we may effect dominion over the skrælingjar and the petty kings of the lands where our ships penetrate swiftly and undetected whilst their warriors cower and pray to their false gods to save them from our fury!

To cement our alliance and strength, the skald of the Winterfang shall recite a passage of Höfuðlausn, in honor of our fealty and your Providence.

Quote:
Vestr fór eg um ver ................... West over water I fared
en eg Viðris ber ........................ bearing poetry's waves to the shore
munstrandar mar, .................... of the war-god's heart;
svo er mitt of far ....................... my course was set.
Dró eg eik á flot. ....................... I launched my oaken craft
við ísa brot. ............................... at the breaking of ice,
Hlóð eg mærðar hlut ................ loaded my cargo of praise
míns knarrar skut. .................... aboard my longboat aft.
Buðumst hilmir löð, ................... The warrior welcomed me,
þar á eg hróðurs of kvöð. ........... to him my praise is due.
Ber eg Óðins mjöð ..................... I carry Odin's mead
á Engla bjöð. .............................. to England's meadows.
Lofað vísa vann, ......................... The leader I laud,
víst mæri eg þann. ..................... sing surely his praise;
Hljóðs biðjum hann .................... I ask to be heard,
því að hróðr of fann. ................... an ode I can devise.

I must say, I like that poem and will have to add it to the "Norse Things" topic.

I bid all my War Wolves of Barad'Dun to post a hearty welcome to their fellow Wolves in An tir Dearg.

I bid Tiberius to send us the names and a short character bio of each of his crewmen so that I may add them to the Scrolls of the War Wolves.
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: War Wolves of Barad'Dun   War Wolves of Barad'Dun - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 6:40 am

War Wolves of Barad'Dun - Page 4 War_wo12
Back to top Go down
Hollister

Hollister

PostSubject: Re: War Wolves of Barad'Dun   War Wolves of Barad'Dun - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 8:33 pm

I LIKE IT!!!!

Now who do we raid?!?!?

Twisted Evil pirat Twisted Evil pirat Twisted Evil pirat
Back to top Go down
Convel

Convel

PostSubject: Re: War Wolves of Barad'Dun   War Wolves of Barad'Dun - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 8:37 pm

Anyone and everyone....of course....if they have anything of value....
Back to top Go down
Hollister

Hollister

PostSubject: Re: War Wolves of Barad'Dun   War Wolves of Barad'Dun - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 8:42 pm

Well... in that case I'm just gonna raid my own fridge. I have some rum stashed in there somewhere. And some home-made mead a friend gave me. Messed up the mead, so it don't taste so good. But it does have some bite, so I think I'll hit that, also!

drunken

Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: War Wolves of Barad'Dun   War Wolves of Barad'Dun - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 3:45 am

Lo, there do I see my father.
Lo, there do I see my mother.
And my sister and my brother
Lo, there do I see the line of my people
Back to the beginning.
Lo, they do call to me.
They bid me take my place among them
In the halls of Valhalla
Where the brave may live forever.

Back to top Go down
Knubbs

Knubbs

PostSubject: Re: War Wolves of Barad'Dun   War Wolves of Barad'Dun - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 5:12 pm

someone likes 13th warrior.... Smile
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: War Wolves of Barad'Dun   War Wolves of Barad'Dun - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 5:59 pm

Always a good watch. I have the DVD, and a copy on my computer and MP3 player. That and 'A Knights tale'. Instead of a good book to events, I take a good movie.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Izmiranna Peregrine

Izmiranna Peregrine

PostSubject: Re: War Wolves of Barad'Dun   War Wolves of Barad'Dun - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 12:05 am

My favorite movie Konradr!!!

If you remember, I made the comment of my alter fitting in to the War Wolves similar to that of the 13th Warrior...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001046867423
K'urn

K'urn

PostSubject: Re: War Wolves of Barad'Dun   War Wolves of Barad'Dun - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 6:20 pm

Check out 'Ironclad' it's a red box movie. Think Magnificient Seven medieval style. GOOD MOVIE!!

K-
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: War Wolves of Barad'Dun   War Wolves of Barad'Dun - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2011 6:42 pm

Got it on DVD already. Yes its a good fighting movie. Templar didn't like the fact that the byatch kept trying to seduce the Templar. LOL. The history is mostly screwed, but hey, thats any movie.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
K'urn

K'urn

PostSubject: Re: War Wolves of Barad'Dun   War Wolves of Barad'Dun - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 3:15 pm

lol

K-
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: War Wolves of Barad'Dun   War Wolves of Barad'Dun - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

War Wolves of Barad'Dun
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4