Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

Archer tactics...

Go down 
+3
Sarabi
sasquatch
konradr
7 posters
AuthorMessage
konradr

konradr

Archer tactics... Empty
PostSubject: Archer tactics...   Archer tactics... I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 4:27 am

So, I couldn't go to practice, still nursing a bad knee, plus the jeep broke down so I had no ride. So I got out the Bow that D/edra gave me. The 25 lber, youth bow, and 4 arrows and practiced some archery outside. My thoughts...

I don't think I could ever be like K'urn, Kilanos, Smithy or Phoxly who excel at the "sniper shot" type archery. K'urn was magic with it. The sniper moves back and forth behind the lines, bow nocked and looking for a target. Finds someone open and not paying attention and "POP" direct shot.

Takes alot of practice to be sure. I'm inpatient. I tried a different technique. The lob shot. Here is an example....

Archer tactics... Archer10

I practiced that over and over with a trash can set up on a milk crate. I got several shots that went in the trash can.

My theory is this, the lob shot will drop in behind the shield and hit either the head, upper chest, or drop low and hit a leg. They won't come in fast, so the tactic is this:

Get to the left of the line, and lob shots in fast, as quick as possible, no aimed shot, just at the line. They should be a volley lobbing in behind the shields of the enemy shield line. As in this example:

Archer tactics... Archer11

Keep lobbying the arrows in while your own line keeps their line busy to the front. The arrows should come down over their left shoulder to strike.

Need alot of arrows at hand that can be nocked and shot fast. The Arrow bag, carried and set down is one idea, or a good Gortyos at the waist. Still working on one or the other.

Nocking and shooting lob's is the skill to be practiced. I like the "dunk in a trashcan" practice.

The key danger for the Archer would be an enemy flanker, in which case the Archer would need a shieldman as a bodyguard, one who won't run off to be a hero, but stay and intimidate anyone wanting to rush the archer. As in the last example:

Archer tactics... Archer13

Comments, critique's from you archers out there? Oh, need gloves too, fingers are sore. I was using too much finger, then started using fingertip's only, worked much better.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
konradr

konradr

Archer tactics... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archer tactics...   Archer tactics... I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 4:31 am

Now, what will be the prize for the first archer in the Realm who can shoot like this:

Archer tactics... Archer-pink-shirt-hand-stand

Konradr
Back to top Go down
sasquatch

sasquatch

Archer tactics... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archer tactics...   Archer tactics... I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 7:19 am

a back brace
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/kookiecrazy
Sarabi

Sarabi

Archer tactics... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archer tactics...   Archer tactics... I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 12:53 pm

HAAAAAAAAAAA sassy you're on one tonight!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1336161982
sasquatch

sasquatch

Archer tactics... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archer tactics...   Archer tactics... I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 5:22 pm

You know i try but konrade is there like any loss of power that way?
Back to top Go down
Dwyna

Dwyna

Archer tactics... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archer tactics...   Archer tactics... I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 6:10 pm

Wouldn't loss of power be related to whether or not a person can get a full draw on the bow?

Personally, I'd be more worried about loss of balance on that handstand...

study

I think she's on a platform, too.
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Archer tactics... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archer tactics...   Archer tactics... I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 6:15 pm

The legs are more powerful than the Arms, I think only the draw and nock time would be slower, but the shot would be more powerful. From what I read about a 'historical' medieval longbowman, the true archer doesn't aim the arrow, he points it and his instincts or willpower, sends it where it needs to go, so no loss of aim either.

Considering the target has stopped to think "WTF?" he is a dead man standing just waiting for his arrow.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Smithy
Admin
Smithy

Archer tactics... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archer tactics...   Archer tactics... I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 3:43 am

All the 'power' comes from the bow itself, the poundage on the bow. There is nothing that the archer can do about it. The shot however is based on timing and intuition. Skill with a bow is summed up as thus, the archer is able to 'read' the target and is so comfortable with his/her bow that they can judge distance, arc, and flight time in the time it takes to nock, draw, and fire acurately.

That's just my opinion anyway.

Cool
Back to top Go down
Mordy the Gnome

Mordy the Gnome

Archer tactics... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archer tactics...   Archer tactics... I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 5:40 am

What he said, now

GET BACK!! I HAVE A BOW AND ARROW AND I DEMAND THAT YOU WITHDRAW INSTEAD OF ADVANCING!!! I AM INTIMIDATING YOU TO MAKE MY JOB EASIER!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sasquatch

sasquatch

Archer tactics... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archer tactics...   Archer tactics... I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 7:21 am

i will kill you immediately instead of backing off how 'bout that cause sas don't get intimidated lol
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

Archer tactics... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archer tactics...   Archer tactics... I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 3:43 pm

^true
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Archer tactics... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Archer tactics...   Archer tactics... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Archer tactics...
Page 1 of 1