Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

Experimental weapon idea....

Go down 
+3
Tiberius Claudius
Alacian
konradr
7 posters
AuthorMessage
konradr

konradr

Experimental weapon idea.... Empty
PostSubject: Experimental weapon idea....   Experimental weapon idea.... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 7:04 pm

I was thinking of Siege weapons or ancient/medieval artillery. Not the crossbow type weapons, as that would run afoul of the archery rules, but a catapult/magonal or Traction trebuchet or normal trebuchet, or a springel type weapon. Miniature of course, with safe power.

The weapon would throw a "Rock" as defined in our rules (4 inch diameter, open cell foam. Probably a cloth covered Nerf ball) However, for experimentation, I would like the "Rock" to be covered in red cloth and treated as a "Red" weapon hit whereever it hits, and a "Rock" only if it hits the head, but that can Kill even an Armored head.

Experimental weapon idea.... Catapu10

Experimental weapon idea.... Jakeicn

Experimental weapon idea.... 2649589304_ae82794c14_o

Experimental weapon idea.... 3296198177_a28f3c891f

Experimental weapon idea.... Manganum%20web

cheers

Konradr

Last edited by konradr on Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Alacian

Alacian

PostSubject: Re: Experimental weapon idea....   Experimental weapon idea.... I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 7:07 pm

I second this idea. Surt would be proud.

And he would suggest we launch the gnome from it.
Back to top Go down
Tiberius Claudius

PostSubject: Re: Experimental weapon idea....   Experimental weapon idea.... I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 4:29 am

I have been pouring over various siege engines myself and these ideas REALLY need more support in our games - at least for scenario battles.

In all the ones I've considered, the "rock" would be made up of 1-2 couch cushion foam pieces cut/glued to look more rock-like w/ or w/out cloth cover - just for expediency sake - and since they would represent boulders, if they touched any part of a body - including armored head - it would result in death.

Such a powerful weapon would need a limit on firing speed, but perhaps the quick nature of our sport would negate any effect they had except for the opening seconds.

I fully support your research!
Back to top Go down
Smithy
Admin
Smithy

PostSubject: Re: Experimental weapon idea....   Experimental weapon idea.... I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 8:00 am

The type of weapon damage is classified as "black" damage. Any seige engine has to be manned by two people in order for the damage to be applicible. If it hits you period, you're dead. That's the jist of it anyway. I would think that a ballista would be a better siege engine as it's basically firing javs. The accuracy would be better and reloads would be plentiful and multi-use.

Just a thought

Cool
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: Experimental weapon idea....   Experimental weapon idea.... I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 8:17 am

I was thinking of a "springal" type weapon to shoot jav's. The arm being pulled back and then when fired it "slaps" the butt of the Jav and sends it flying. But I think shooting jav's would be harder to make safe for point control (hafting can hurt) and speed and power. On the otherhand, I think "rocks" made of nerf balls, though possibly innaccurate, would be safe under almost any launch conditions.

So "Black" it is. Black Balls. Black equals death from any hit. Awesome, the infamous "Black Death of Barad'Dun". cheers

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Saint Xenox

Saint Xenox

PostSubject: Re: Experimental weapon idea....   Experimental weapon idea.... I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 10:00 pm

No. Think more blunderbuss. A more mobile version of it. But it can still fire the same payload.
Back to top Go down
Grek

Grek

PostSubject: Re: Experimental weapon idea....   Experimental weapon idea.... I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 12:24 am

A ballista that fires javelins would be tight Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=647767959
Prysm Stormfallen

Prysm Stormfallen

PostSubject: Re: Experimental weapon idea....   Experimental weapon idea.... I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 12:45 am

haha - I might get my dad to have a look at this... He was a mechanical engineer before he retired and he is always looking for new projects to keep himself busy. I can imagine this would challenge him - how to get a foam/solid core weapon to fly straight and a decent distance, but without hitting too hard... I can see the calculations beginning already! Will make a change from his usual bi-plane designs and the 'perfect wing' he has been working on for the last 2 years.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Experimental weapon idea....   Experimental weapon idea.... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Experimental weapon idea....
Page 1 of 1