Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

possible garb?

Go down 
+4
Dwyna
Sarabi
sasquatch
Mathan
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mathan

Mathan

possible garb? Empty
PostSubject: possible garb?   possible garb? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 6:51 am

I finally have the money to begin creating my garb. i was thinking the outer layer would be leather with a dark green cloth under it. maybe some leather archers vambraces?
only thing i and no one in my famliy knows how to sew so if any could help me out there id be extremely gratful and more than will to pay you for it.
possible garb? Garb11
and if anyone knows where i could find some could quallity cloth relatively cheap that would be awesome thank you very much
Back to top Go down
sasquatch

sasquatch

possible garb? Empty
PostSubject: Re: possible garb?   possible garb? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 7:12 am

OMFG you will die in the summer there have to be like 2 or 3 layer there what color did you want the cloth
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/kookiecrazy
Sarabi

Sarabi

possible garb? Empty
PostSubject: Re: possible garb?   possible garb? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 12:55 pm

yeah i think that would make fantastic like winter garb i mean it's not like deathly freezing out here but it does get cold out at night but yeah i think you will be dying seriously in the heat out here. i like the garb idea it kinda looks like something from.... whats that one game. Assasins creed which is awesome cause it was an awesome game well i liked watching it.. er hem sorry. but yeah maybe this would make good winter garb you might wanna figure something else out in the summer.. just don't want anyone passing out!... and yeah sassy's right it also depends on the fabric.. what colors?.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1336161982
Mathan

Mathan

possible garb? Empty
PostSubject: Re: possible garb?   possible garb? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 5:03 pm

i was going to make a seperate design for summer and winter i just havent drawn them yet. as for the color im thinking of a hunter green for winter and and maybe a forest green as shown here. or maybe differnt colors for the seasons a blue for winter green for spring red for summer and yellow for fall?

http://www.green-neckties.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/shades-of-green1.jpg

ill get the different versions drawn up and posted as soon as i can

Last edited by Mathanthedruid on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sasquatch

sasquatch

possible garb? Empty
PostSubject: Re: possible garb?   possible garb? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 5:26 pm

that's a great color scheme the best part is it's not original at all so you know it work
Back to top Go down
Dwyna

Dwyna

possible garb? Empty
PostSubject: Re: possible garb?   possible garb? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 6:15 pm

I can help with some sewing in a long-term plan. Right now I can't because I'm working like 2.5 jobs... Got my regular 40 hr a week job, doing tax preparation work for another 20 hr a week, and doing school...

I have couple different sewing machines, or I could show the basics of sewing by hand Wink

One thing that I'm working on is to design and sew a personal crest.

study
Back to top Go down
sasquatch

sasquatch

possible garb? Empty
PostSubject: Re: possible garb?   possible garb? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 6:35 pm

dwyna you are so busy all the time lol.... and the crest thing is cool
Back to top Go down
Mathan

Mathan

possible garb? Empty
PostSubject: Re: possible garb?   possible garb? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 6:46 pm

sasquatch wrote:
dwyna you are so busy all the time lol.... and the crest thing is cool

for once i agree with sasquatch it sounds like you have a lot on your plate. the personal crest has me curious be sure to post it when you got it all done
Back to top Go down
Dwyna

Dwyna

possible garb? Empty
PostSubject: Re: possible garb?   possible garb? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 7:09 pm

I was thinking about a couple of different flowers and maybe putting the realm star in there somewhere... I've found my small embroidery hoop, but I can't find my cheap muslin for practice. Guess I'll have to head out to Walmart or Joann's sometime after I get it down on paper.

study
Back to top Go down
Mathan

Mathan

possible garb? Empty
PostSubject: Re: possible garb?   possible garb? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 3:09 am

just checked JoAnns online i dont know why but i though the would be idont know cheeper?
Back to top Go down
Smithy
Admin
Smithy

possible garb? Empty
PostSubject: Re: possible garb?   possible garb? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 3:53 am

The cheapest fabrics that I have found are at Home Fabrics on Oakey and Decatur. I've found $3.00/yd fabrics. The best part is they're all 60 inches wide.

Cool
Back to top Go down
Mathan

Mathan

possible garb? Empty
PostSubject: Re: possible garb?   possible garb? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 4:18 am

Smithy wrote:
The cheapest fabrics that I have found are at Home Fabrics on Oakey and Decatur. I've found $3.00/yd fabrics. The best part is they're all 60 inches wide.

Cool
thanks smithy
Back to top Go down
Isk

Isk

possible garb? Empty
PostSubject: Re: possible garb?   possible garb? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 8:24 pm

Another online option is fashionfabricsclub.com. The advantage of the local place is you get to see it in person, though.

And for the heat, seriously consider making it from linen. Linen is one of the best wicking/cooling fabrics you could ever want (beats any of the synthetic sports fabrics I have tried).
Back to top Go down
http://www.antirdearg.com
Mathan

Mathan

possible garb? Empty
PostSubject: Re: possible garb?   possible garb? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 11:07 pm

ive actulally realised that linen would be better for garb than a heavy duty fabric.now just to buy the supplies and learn to sew cloth and leather
Back to top Go down
Smithy
Admin
Smithy

possible garb? Empty
PostSubject: Re: possible garb?   possible garb? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 6:15 pm

What I've discovered is it's all in the layers. I enjoy thick linen pants that can take a little abuse, a light linen or cotton shirt, and usually a leather vest. Simple and breathes.

Cool
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

possible garb? Empty
PostSubject: Re: possible garb?   possible garb? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 6:30 pm

Mathan wrote:
ive actulally realised that linen would be better for garb than a heavy duty fabric.now just to buy the supplies and learn to sew cloth and leather

I'd learn to sew cloth and leather, THEN buy your materials Smile we might be having a garb build day soon so if you have materials and a sewing machine then you might learn a few things. Just remember people who go to thebuild day also have stuff to build for themselves and may not have time to teach you to sew. You can probably get someone else to sew it for you but it'd cost you.

Are you hopeing the leather is armor legal?
Back to top Go down
Mathan

Mathan

possible garb? Empty
PostSubject: Re: possible garb?   possible garb? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 7:54 am

Phoxly wrote:
Mathan wrote:

I'd learn to sew cloth and leather, THEN buy your materials Smile we might be having a garb build day soon so if you have materials and a sewing machine then you might learn a few things. Just remember people who go to thebuild day also have stuff to build for themselves and may not have time to teach you to sew. You can probably get someone else to sew it for you but it'd cost you.

Are you hopeing the leather is armor legal?

i didnt even think of it counting towards armor is the a certin thickness it has to be? or something along those lines? and you have a good point with the sewing thing hmm wounder much it would cost to have some one sew the leather and cloth i know at least one person here can sew and i know taco can make the vambrace for around $20 hmmm... you also have a point with the garb build day... so much to do so little time
Back to top Go down
Mathan

Mathan

possible garb? Empty
PostSubject: Re: possible garb?   possible garb? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 12:05 am

just bought the thougher leather from tha vambraces and maybe something else quiver perhapse not sure will bring to practice get smithy and tacos opinion
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

possible garb? Empty
PostSubject: Re: possible garb?   possible garb? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 4:22 pm

Mathan wrote:
just bought the thougher leather from tha vambraces and maybe something else quiver perhapse not sure will bring to practice get smithy and tacos opinion

I hope that is armor grade quality bro... I hate to see new people buy good material only to find out it doesn't count.
Back to top Go down
Mathan

Mathan

possible garb? Empty
PostSubject: Re: possible garb?   possible garb? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 3:03 am

Phoxly wrote:
Mathan wrote:

I hope that is armor grade quality bro... I hate to see new people buy good material only to find out it doesn't count.

i hope so too it cost more than i hoped but i scraped up some and found some more money so that helps.and the for it to count towards armor it needs metal studs every inch and a half right? or it needs to be more than one layer (is this right? hope so) because i bought the studs for it
Back to top Go down
Smithy
Admin
Smithy

possible garb? Empty
PostSubject: Re: possible garb?   possible garb? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 1:21 pm

You put forth the effort in getting the materials. There are people in the realm who can helpyou makeit work.

Cool
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

possible garb? Empty
PostSubject: Re: possible garb?   possible garb? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 8:30 pm

I have 4 x 40% off coupon's and 2 x 50% off coupon's for Joanne's. Coupon's are good for one cut of cloth. They must be used by March 12th which is this Saturday. I can use one of the 40% and one of the 50% but I don't know how much money I will have to buy some cloth for new garb.

I'll try and drop the other coupon's off at practice this Saturday for someone to use.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Mathan

Mathan

possible garb? Empty
PostSubject: Re: possible garb?   possible garb? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 12:54 am

WOOT! coupons just what i needed still have to get the cloth not to mention i have to buy my arrow shafts and the foam for th arrow heads and the bow cant have a poundage higher than 35 right?
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

possible garb? Empty
PostSubject: Re: possible garb?   possible garb? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 1:02 am

Mathan wrote:
WOOT! coupons just what i needed still have to get the cloth not to mention i have to buy my arrow shafts and the foam for th arrow heads and the bow cant have a poundage higher than 35 right?

And it can't be a compound bow, no wheels or pullies. I recommend getting 2.5" thick of 3 inch diameter H90 open cell foam from galaxy foam, they cut it into disks for you if you tell them the right amount.

I hope you have been doing a lot of reading on the rules of arrows and the ways to make them, almost every new person's arrows fail, including my first ones. It's not a cheap thing to get into. Shafts are about $5 each. You are looking at $7-8 per arrow.

If you go to Pacific Archery you can get the shafts and a green 35# bow like mine for under $100.
Back to top Go down
Mathan

Mathan

possible garb? Empty
PostSubject: Re: possible garb?   possible garb? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 1:07 am

Phoxly wrote:
And it can't be a compound bow, no wheels or pullies. I recommend getting 2.5" thick of 3 inch diameter H90 open cell foam from galaxy foam, they cut it into disks for you if you tell them the right amount.

I hope you have been doing a lot of reading on the rules of arrows and the ways to make them, almost every new person's arrows fail, including my first ones. It's not a cheap thing to get into. Shafts are about $5 each. You are looking at $7-8 per arrow.

If you go to Pacific Archery you can get the shafts and a green 35# bow like mine for under $100.
oi if a bow has a poundage of 20 or 25 is it still legal?

Last edited by Mathan on Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammatic errors)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

possible garb? Empty
PostSubject: Re: possible garb?   possible garb? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

possible garb?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next