Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

Starting Archery

Go down 
+7
Dwyna
Kyrian
Izmiranna Peregrine
Smithy
konradr
K'urn
Prysm Stormfallen
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Prysm Stormfallen

Prysm Stormfallen

Starting Archery Empty
PostSubject: Starting Archery   Starting Archery I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 10:19 am

Ok, at practice today (or now yesterday...) I had a go at archery and rather enjoyed it... Especially a certain someone's priceless face when he acted as my target... and I hit him... A few minutes later he was up off the floor returning my arrows - you know who you are..

Anyway - I would rather like to take up archery but need to find out a few things first... Like - what draw weight was the bow I was using today? And can anyone help me make arrows?
And while I save up for a bow, does anyone have (I know - unlikely) a spare I could borrow for a few days this month so I can get the hang of it?

I know it will take more than a few days, but it may help me decide just how much I am wanting to invest in my bow...

Also - where can you go round here to get bows? I would prefer to try before I buy (even if I do buy off the internet, I would like to at least handle whatever I buy first..).

I think thats all my questions for now... I may have some more soon tho.

Still smiling bout that shot tho... Laughing
Back to top Go down
K'urn

K'urn

Starting Archery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 3:59 pm

Hello Prysm.
You probably don't know me, I'm K'urn (btw). Archery is not something you should just 'get into to', take some time to really, really think about what it is you're getting into.
Archery is expensive, if you have a job and can afford it....it really is fun! Just to give you an idea of what to expect price wise.

My bow was $170 with shipping, it's a three piece take down re-curve with a weight of #35 at 28" which is the Dagorhir maximum. It's a great bow, it packs down for taking it on long trips to far flung events. The bow comes with a string, but I always advise people to have a spare just in case.

Strings for my bow (I just bought two new ones) run about $10 each, that's for the 12 strand strings (which for a #35 bow is plenty).

Arrows are an entirely different animal, you can buy good arrows or you can buy worse arrows it all depends on your personal preference. I am somewhat of a combat archer, but I do tend to snipe (a lot ) as well. For me, I choose carbon shafts. Usually in a 400 size with a .400 spine variance at 7.4 gram weight. They are durable (can take moderate abuse) and they are light and fast. Now I usually buy just the bare shafts (no fletchings, because I fletch my own) they typically run around $45-$50 for one dozen. This does not include padding them. Padding will generally run around $5-$10 depending on who you're dealing with or if you make them yourself.

As some further advice, NEVER buy a bow online unless it's from a store (i.e. not e-bay). I have found some real good deals on bows from lancasterarchery.com and from woodbows.com. Mine is actually a polaris bow from Lancaster Archery. I buy pretty much all my equipment from Lancaster Archery. I'm not saying their the do all be all, but I've never had a problem with them. Build and use modular arrow heads, they will save you a ton of money (if you don't know what a modular head is, ask Phoxly he can explain it).

I hope you find this informative and helpful. If you do decide to become an archer let me know I run a Combat Archers Guild and we're always on the lookout for more members.

K-
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Starting Archery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 5:24 pm

I don't know who's bow you were using yesterday Prizm, there were at least 4 probably at the field. The red fiberglass bow was one I originally bought on Ebay for $30 and later sold to Demie. Another was the heavier all steel limbed bow with the limb's painted red. That is my more recent purchase and was $25. It was purchased from a local shop called Pacific archery and was a used rental bow for their range. They may still have rental's for sale. Both bows are 35 lb draw at 28", which, as K'urn said, is the Dagorhir maximum. I still have in my possession, the Realm loaner bow which is a 'youth' bow of 25lb draw weight. However, I only have 4 loaner arrows, and they are aluminum shafts and need nocks.

The two other bows I can think of at the field were probably Phoxly's and Smithy's. Smithy's bow, I believe, is like K'urn's, a takedown bow of great expense. Like anything else the more expensive item's usually perform much better for the tasks they are intended.

I usually let others use my bow and the arrows I got from Kilanos when he quit Dag, because, I just can't seem to get the hang of Archery. You, however, seem to have a knack for sniping with both bow and Javelin. You should persue these goals.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Prysm Stormfallen

Prysm Stormfallen

Starting Archery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 6:12 pm

Thanks for the info K'urn - the reason I wanted to ask all the questions is to get solid info like that.
I did really enjoy the archery yesterday (damn but I ache today from the archery and the javelin throwing...) and I know out of the two hours I spent doing archery and javelin, the expensive one is the archery. I wish to take up both but with some time and effort and a bit of money, I can sort out Javelins myself (with a lil help from my friends... lol).
The one that will take research and some more practice before I start spending money is the archery. Luckily for me, I do have a job so can (with a lil saving) afford to kit myself out. I just need to do some personal research on what is a good bow length (I am short...) and draw for me. If I can get an idea of that (oh - Pacific Archery have an archery range... I feel a short road trip to their shop next weekend coming on - anyone fancy coming with?) then I know where to start. Oh - anyone know if PA do a military discount (always worth asking...)
As for the arrows, that again needs a lil research, but I have been advised of whom to be nice to in order to learn how to make my own...

Konradr, Thanks for the info on yesterdays bows. I know It was not Smithys bow (been rather lusting after it.. But wont invest that much to start unless I decide to really go for it) but apart from that, I cant even remember what color the bow was. I was enjoying the archery too much to pay attention to my equipment...
Are you at practice on saturday? If so, is there any chance I could borrow the loaner gear to practice for the following week? I have a weeks leave so can get some time in (I have the perfect indoor archery range in my house for beginning to learn... All I need is targets - and I can make them Very Happy ) before I start to fork out money.

P
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Starting Archery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 6:25 pm

If I'm not there, I'm sure Templar will be and he has my bow and arrows and you are more than welcome to practice with those. If I do make it out, I will throw the loaner bow in the jeep and you can borrow it for a time with a couple of my arrows to practice at home if you like.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Prysm Stormfallen

Prysm Stormfallen

Starting Archery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 6:32 pm

cheers
Yesterday was a good day - I found a new thing I really enjoy, got to make someone almost cry doing it, got to lust after Smithys bow - and even touch it (yes I know - it was only taking off the string... But I love that it packs down small. I like deceptive things like small cases that contain ruddy great bows inside!) and generally had a good day!
Lets hope that next saturday follows in those footsteps!

*note so self... Must do the day again sometime...*

Cool
P
Back to top Go down
Smithy
Admin
Smithy

Starting Archery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 7:04 pm

Y'know I just realized something. The English Longbowmen were some some of the best in the world. Could it be in the genes?
Back to top Go down
Prysm Stormfallen

Prysm Stormfallen

Starting Archery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 7:34 pm

Shocked no idea... Like the thought tho Very Happy
Back to top Go down
K'urn

K'urn

Starting Archery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 3:14 pm

You are very welcome, Prysm. Anytime I can be of help.

K-
Back to top Go down
Prysm Stormfallen

Prysm Stormfallen

Starting Archery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 3:28 am

ok... might seem an odd question, but I do have my reasons for asking it...

Is it possible to do archery with either hand (and have a bow that allows this) to a good level?

Have neck/shoulder/back injuries which I am recieving treatment for and it was pointed out to me that archery isnt a very balanced body sport...
I want to do archery so I thought I might just have to practice using either arm as lead...

Any thoughts?

P
Back to top Go down
Izmiranna Peregrine

Izmiranna Peregrine

Starting Archery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 3:36 am

I use to shoot left-handed... but I didn't buy the bow for me, someone else did. Not sure if it makes a difference on the bow or not.

-Izmiranna Peregrine pirat
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001046867423
konradr

konradr

Starting Archery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 6:38 am

That cheap red fiberglass bow from Indian Archery, that I sold to Demie, can be shot either left or right handed. Look for one like that so you can switch it up.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Kyrian

Starting Archery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 6:41 am

Prysm wrote:
ok... might seem an odd question, but I do have my reasons for asking it...

Is it possible to do archery with either hand (and have a bow that allows this) to a good level?

Have neck/shoulder/back injuries which I am recieving treatment for and it was pointed out to me that archery isnt a very balanced body sport...
I want to do archery so I thought I might just have to practice using either arm as lead...

Any thoughts?

P

If you get a bow without an arrow shelf (rest), you can shoot it with either hand.

Here's an example of a bow that can be used right-handed, i.e., string drawn back with the right hand:

Starting Archery ArrowPlateRest

and here is a bow that can be used by either hand:

Starting Archery 21SPFfmZGkL._SL500_AA300_

As far as archery not being balanced, I try to teach people to push out with the bow hand while pulling back with the string hand. This tends to balance out the strength to draw the bow between the two arms lessening the strain on the arm drawing the string.
Back to top Go down
Prysm Stormfallen

Prysm Stormfallen

Starting Archery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 7:40 am

Its not so much how hard each arm works, as in the way the muscles work - a push from the shoulder (Bow arm) uses muscles in different ways than a pull from arm and back (string/arrow arm). I know this, due to the way I hurt for 3 days after saturday - some in part due to the javelin throwing, but also in part to the archery.
Hopefully swapping lead arm for half of my practice will balance this out.
I am intending on doing the jav work with both hands too... Beware the misfires that may come in the future til I get the hang of it! lol

P
Back to top Go down
Dwyna

Dwyna

Starting Archery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 7:52 am

K'urn,

I started looking through the bows on the Lancaster Archery website and one of them caught my eye. What do you think of the Angel Mini Recurve bow? Very Happy

I'm temped to get one!

study
Back to top Go down
K'urn

K'urn

Starting Archery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 2:10 pm

Starting Archery 3880136
Angel Re-curve Mini

• Gorgeous Laminated Hardwood Riser/Limbs
• 32” AMO/29” Tip to Tip Length
• Weight 16# @ 18” (20” Max Draw)
• Includes Case, Bowstand, 3 Arrows, Bowstring
• Available as a One-Piece or Take Down Model
(Take Down Pictured)

It looks cool, but I don't think you would be happy with it. It only draws to 20" and its only 16lbs at 20".

Starting Archery 3880030

Samick Polaris 54"

- LAMINATED WOOD RISER
- 3 PC. TAKE-DOWN DESIGN
- 54" AMO LENGTH
- FOR 7-12 YR. AGE GROUP
- ADD ITEM 2870030 FOR COMPLETE PACKAGE!!
- SPECIFY RH OR LH
- AVAILABLE WEIGHTS:
12#
14-16#
18-20#
22-24#
26-29#

^^^This is the bow we got for D'edra to use. We got it at 29# but on most days it pulls closer to 32#.

Starting Archery 3880050

SAMICK SKB KOREAN 50 RECURVE BOW 50" 30-60#

• ROSEWOOD, WALNUT & HARD MAPLE
• BLACK FIBER GLASS LIMBS
• BOW LENGTH : 50"
• SPECIFY RH OR LH
• DRAW WEIGHT : 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60#

^^^Then there is this beautiful bow. I've often thought of adding this to my kit.

Prysm,
When we got D'edra's bow she was having some difficulty in utilizing the correct muscle groups. We purchased this for her. It may be a good thing to help balance out your muscle use.

Starting Archery 1970257

BOWFIT EXERCISER (EXERCISER)

• DESIGNED TO STRENGTHEN UPPER BODY MUSCLES
• WILL IMPROVE YOUR ARCHERY STRENGTH, PERFORMANCE, AND STAMINA
• CONVENIENT FOR HOME USE
• EXERCISE INSTRUCTIONS INCLUDED
• INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO AVAILABLE
• AVAILABLE RESISTANCES:
Light (15-40#) Medium (30-50#) Heavy (50-100#)

Hope this helps.

K-
Back to top Go down
Sarabi

Sarabi

Starting Archery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 11:25 pm

woah thanks kurn this is actually really useful i was hoping to dip into archery as soon as i get a job... so thanks for the advice!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1336161982
konradr

konradr

Starting Archery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 4:43 pm

That Korean bow looks cool. But I'm just not an archer.

Here's the link to the Clark County Archery range by Sam Boyd stadium. From what I can tell, its free, first come first serve to the lanes. Pacific Archery apparently runs leagues out there.

http://www.clarkcountynv.gov/depts/parks/Pages/clark-county-archery-range.aspx

The new, larger county shooting park also lists an archery range, here it their website link:

rhttp://www.clarkcountynv.gov/depts/parks/Pages/clark-county-shooting-park.aspx

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Prysm Stormfallen

Prysm Stormfallen

Starting Archery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 5:02 pm

Thx Konradr - will be useful to practice somewhere when I cant make it to the park due to work.

Ok - I know I gotta get the 3" H90 foam from Galaxy, but I notice that the heads are made up of 3 types of foam... What are the other two and what order do they go on the arrowhead?

I can see the rest of the build on the web, but I am just unsure on that, and dont want to get the wrong stuff and be unsafe...

Have me 4 shafts now and they will be fletched by the time I pick them up tomorrow... Will get me some regular tips for the range and get my ass down there this week.

Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Starting Archery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 5:17 pm

You've probably already seen this link, but here's the construction of arrows link from Edhellen armoury (Now Fordged Foam) which Kilanos had sent me ages ago.

http://www.clarkcountynv.gov/depts/parks/Pages/clark-county-shooting-park.aspx

of the youtube vids for modular arrows, but I think you've seen them. The page above you can print out and refer to.

Here's a downloadable and printable .pdf copy of modular arrow head build from Eryndor.

http://drentha.com/images/tutorials/arrow.pdf

Cheers,

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Prysm Stormfallen

Prysm Stormfallen

Starting Archery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 5:27 pm

ooooh - look at this
http://www.clarkcountynv.gov/Depts/parks/Documents/shooting-park/RifleNArcheryClinic_Flyer.pdf

Anyone fancy a trip down there? I am thinking this thursday would be good - and have room in my car so can pick up if you are vaguely on my way. Especially of you have a map so I dont get lost trying to find the place... LOL!
Back to top Go down
Prysm Stormfallen

Prysm Stormfallen

Starting Archery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 2:08 am

Back to top Go down
Kyrian

Starting Archery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 1:06 pm

Sage bow

You can get the bow plus a set of extra limbs for about $200.
Back to top Go down
K'urn

K'urn

Starting Archery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 1:43 pm

I would not want to buy that bow. Hears why: 1) You need an allen wrench to put it together. What happens when you forget to bring it? 2) It doesn't look like the limbs have a pocket to fit in. With the chance of someone actually hitting your bow, I'd rather have the slot, to keep the limbs in line. 3) Buy this one and paint the limbs, it's cheaper (at $109) http://www.lancasterarchery.com/samick-polaris-takedown-62-recurve-bow.html

The sage bow does look good. It's a bit pricier (at $129),but you wouldn't need to paint the limbs, and no tools required. http://www.lancasterarchery.com/samick-sage-takedown-recurve-bow.html

Buying a bow at 60" may be too big for you. How tall are you?

If you could do with a 54" you could buy the bow for $100 http://www.lancasterarchery.com/samick-polaris-takedown-54-recurve-bow.html

K-
Back to top Go down
Prysm Stormfallen

Prysm Stormfallen

Starting Archery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 2:49 pm

am 5'2"... Was shooting a 68" bow yesterday (only one they had as demo for 35lb) and was doing ok, though I will be the first to admit... It was just a little on the large size... Will be heading to a range tomorrow and am hoping they have a smaller bow for me to try so I can see what size bow fits me best.

Will still shop around before I buy anything but will definitely want to try before I buy...

Apart from Pacific Archery, is there anywhere else around Las Vegas that I can go in and handle bows? And pref shoot them too so I can see what they are like...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Starting Archery Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Starting Archery
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next