Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

Starting Archery

Go down 
+7
Dwyna
Kyrian
Izmiranna Peregrine
Smithy
konradr
K'urn
Prysm Stormfallen
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Phoxly

Phoxly

Starting Archery - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 3:38 pm

Prysm I will bring my green fiberglass bow out Saturday. From what I have read, a take down bow will perform about the same as a fiberglass bow at 35# (real hunting bows go 3-4x that). In our sport, some of the best archers I know (Aside from our beloved K'urn) use fiberglass recurve bows. I got my bow for $40, and Taco's covering it in red lacing and red leather for me. If you want to borrow it to get a feel for archery then go for it. I'm actually going to be buying another one just like it soon.
Back to top Go down
Prysm Stormfallen

Prysm Stormfallen

PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 3:57 pm

Thx Phoxly - I have the loaner bow at the moment (no arrows tho...) so will be bringing that to the practice saturday, will be nice to compare bows and see what suits... I am thinking about a take-down just for the fact that I will eventually be shipping back to UK and I know how my stuff was damaged on its way out here...

Am still off to the range tomoz morning if anyone fancies coming with me tho - I can pick up if its vaguely between summerlin and North Decatur (very north...)
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 4:02 pm

Take down bows are great for that, that Samick bow is a good bow too, if you don't want to paint the limbs you can get some soft leather strips and lace it around the take down limbs. I work this week, off next week.
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 4:03 pm

Silver state Archery on Mountain view just north of Sunset (top of the hill). They have an indoor range as well. They also run an association that has an outdoor range for members in the spring valley mountains. I have links posted on a topic somewhere buried in the forum from days gone by.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Smithy
Admin
Smithy

PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 12:57 am

Prysm,

If you would like I can help you construct your arrows. I have the parts for a modular head design. Just lemme know when is good for you and we can turn some out. I get off work at 2000 hrs during the weekdays.

Cool

Back to top Go down
Prysm Stormfallen

Prysm Stormfallen

PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 5:15 am

Woohoo! Any day this week (except saturday evening - have guests round for dinner), Monday, tuesday and thursday next week...

Any of them suit you? Very Happy

Just let me know when is good for you too and you will make me a happy archer Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy cheers
Back to top Go down
K'urn

K'urn

PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 11:32 am

You could easily wield a 54" bow. You may have some trouble finding one that pulls #35 at 28", but they do exist. One of my students has one, I'll see where she bought hers. It was off the internet, but not sure where.
I wish I was in Vegas so I could help more efficiently.

K-
Back to top Go down
Prysm Stormfallen

Prysm Stormfallen

PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 12:24 pm

Thx K'urn,
your advice is helping anyway! Went and bought me one of those exercisers so just waiting til it arrives... If I hadnt seen it here, I probs would have got me a LH riser to swap out on my bow... Still tempted bout that one tho - will see how it goes... lol
And before I buy anything, I am gonna get one of the realm archers to take a look so I dont go gettin a twig instead of a bow Very Happy
Back to top Go down
K'urn

K'urn

PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 12:25 pm

Just found this. You would probably need a new string but this would be a great starter bow. No take down capacity however.

http://www.amazon.com/Bear-Archery-Firebird-Bow-60-Inch/dp/B002BIM0H0/ref=sr_1_5?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1310645164&sr=1-5

K-
Back to top Go down
Prysm Stormfallen

Prysm Stormfallen

PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 12:46 pm

Looks ok as a starter - but as I want to take my bow back to the UK when they make me leave, I think I need a take-down - Some of my larger items got damaged in shipping on the way over here and the last thing I want is to find my bow cracked (one of my boxes for moving was totally ripped open during shipping, and another was partly crushed...) when I go to take it out in the UK. The only remedy I can think of is to take it with me in my personal luggage when I go.
Will see what the range today can offer me to have a go on - I might even find me the perfect bow size - now wouldnt that be nice...
Back to top Go down
K'urn

K'urn

PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 5:56 pm

Something we used to do, before we got the take down for D'edra, was to shove her bow into a piece of pvc pipe that was capped at both ends.
May work, don't know about oversees though...
K-
Back to top Go down
Prysm Stormfallen

Prysm Stormfallen

PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 9:13 pm

I think thats the bow I have borrowed - its in a pipe so it travels safely.
We also have a new string on that bow (the old one was... um... old. While down at the range this morning the instructor was teaching Scouts for their archery badge and they had to make a string as part of the badge... And that meant he had to demonstrate first so he made a string for me at lunch time for free Very Happy
Will be heading there again tomorrow to test it out and hopefully get a bit of instruction (less lil kids = more time noticing what the grown-ups are doing) so will let you know how it goes.

P
Back to top Go down
Prysm Stormfallen

Prysm Stormfallen

PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 9:10 pm

OK, the bow is now more accurate (hit the butts every time at 20 yard, even hit the targets occasionally when the wind dropped) and definitely pulls more heavily. New string is slightly shorter than the old one but it seems the bow likes it...

Am heading down the range again thursday (not sure what time... I may have to pop in to Pacific Archery first as they may have a bow for me to try out then) if anyone fancies coming with me. Its $7 for the days range fee, and if you need to hire a bow and arrows, they have compound bows for $10 for an hour or $20 for the day.

Have wheels so can give lifts to anyone wanting to come along...
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 10:36 pm

When you go to either the Range or Pacific, take that bow and ask if they can use their bow scale and tell you what the poundage is with that new string. Just curious.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Prysm Stormfallen

Prysm Stormfallen

PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 12:39 am

Will do. I dont think its over the allowed limit as I can still draw it comfortably, but I will ask them nicely and find out Smile
Back to top Go down
Prysm Stormfallen

Prysm Stormfallen

PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 1:04 am

oooooh! Someone come to the range with me!!! Or agree to my target...

My bow came in! I think I am in love I love you I love you I love you

Now all I need is for the case I ordered to come in too... lol

So... lets see...

Bow - 1
Target arrows - 4
Practice foam arrows on loan to me - 6
Fletched shafts for arrowheads - 6
Target - 0

mmm... bell on piece of string hung from ceiling for target perhaps... Must have some thought on it... or a willing victim...
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 3:06 am

Or a frisby Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
K'urn

K'urn

PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 12:50 pm

Pictures!!!

K-
Back to top Go down
Prysm Stormfallen

Prysm Stormfallen

PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 3:54 pm

Will get pics in the next day or so - - I ended up getting the goshawk as they had the 54" and when I tried the bow in the shop it felt really nice. I have to work to draw it, but thats all to the good as I know my muscles are weak at the moment and need building up.

I was a lil concerned about the possibility of it being knocked (the fact that there is no extra bracing for the arms) But when I looked at the construction I was satisfied that it should be pretty rugged. As well as the bolt to hold the arms on, the riser also has two 4mm diameter pins that stabilize the arms - to the point where it takes work to get the arms on and off the riser.

The arms are black lacquered so I will be finding some appropriate paint and painting on vines and feathers to elf them up a bit, but the riser is plain wood and is lovely! I cant wait til the 6th Aug (first practice I can make at the mo...) and I can bring it out on the field! Now I just need to get down the range and practice til then so I can pick off a few people... Heehee
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 4:29 pm

I am making a dozen new arrows this weekend off some kits I made, if I have any extra modular heads I will bring them and we can put em on your shafts, just make sure you pull that metal tip off, or if you are getting better shafts (Easton ftw) let me know. I'll probably sell the modular kit premade and everything (ready to attach) for $5 each, or $3 for just the foam.

The kit is a PVC base, 5 disks of 4lb EVA base + cap, bluefoam cap, and H90 opencell tip. 3 inches by 2 inches.

I haven't done archery in like 6 months since my S&B ambitions kicked in, so we can practice together lol.
Back to top Go down
Prysm Stormfallen

Prysm Stormfallen

PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 4:38 pm

Thanks for that offer Phoxly! Sadly I wont be at practice until the 6th Aug... (damn you work!) I am hoping to have my own arrows by then (taking lessons from a friend) all kitted out with a penny stop and foam. But spare heads never went amiss - if you have any left by then, I might just see if I have any spare cash and get the kits from you if thats ok?

Roll on the next practice I can make! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 5:01 pm

If you just need the foam tip, and want to just do the base of your arrows, I can get you some tips. I usually have galaxy foam cut me some cylinders 2" thick by 3" wide H90 opencell. If you need help let me know.
Back to top Go down
K'urn

K'urn

PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 5:32 pm

Sounds good...I'm anxiously awaiting those photos.

K-
Back to top Go down
Prysm Stormfallen

Prysm Stormfallen

PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 2:50 am

ooooh! I love it! Firing arrows in the house is such fun!!! cheers

But dont tell my landlady... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 4:22 am

Careful, templar and I were testing arrows in the house from the kitchen to his bedroom... he missed and bounced one off the window in his room lol full draw from 20 ft away, I guess that arrow was safe.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starting Archery   Starting Archery - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Starting Archery
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next