Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

Recommended Starting Garb

Go down 
+3
Taco
Grek
Hollister
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Hollister

Hollister

Recommended Starting Garb Empty
PostSubject: Recommended Starting Garb   Recommended Starting Garb I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 7:48 am

Hi All,

Because I'm new, I need garb. Unfortunately, I'm on a small budget. So, I figure I can make/buy a little bit every week over a period of time. However, on account of the fact that there are so many other newbs, I figured I'd just start this as a new topic so everyone can benefit.

So, if you were just starting out, and you only had $100 to start, what kind of garb could you make/buy?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Grek

Grek

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Starting Garb   Recommended Starting Garb I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 8:17 am

Got mine off ebay for 20 dollars
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=647767959
Taco

Taco

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Starting Garb   Recommended Starting Garb I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 11:48 am

a good set of grab you have 4-5 people that can sew great grab for under 100
Back to top Go down
Prysm Stormfallen

Prysm Stormfallen

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Starting Garb   Recommended Starting Garb I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 1:11 pm

Scrub pants are a good start. With some decent ish linen bought so I can make you a T tunic (and at the same time teach you enough sewing basics so you can make your own next time...).

I say decent ish linen because if you spend a few dollars more on something like the tunic, you can use it for years so its not just good starter gear, but good basic garb for practice. I picked up some decent 100% linen in a light/medium weight from Jo-Annes at $7.99/yard.
You would need about 2 yards for a T tunic, but that would also give you plenty of spare material to make something like a pouch for things like cell phone/keys etc. And I believe if you can find a walmart with a sewing aisle, you can pick up some trim for it for about $2-3.
If you saw the white with red trim tunic that Convel was wearing under his chain mail, that is the kind of thing I mean.

P
Back to top Go down
Sarabi

Sarabi

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Starting Garb   Recommended Starting Garb I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 3:09 pm

DI and SAVERS are AMAZING places. just look for loose clothes not like baggy but if it looks like someone would wear it back then you can wear it. no jeans nothing that could cause and entanglement issue ect.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1336161982
Convel

Convel

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Starting Garb   Recommended Starting Garb I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 3:13 pm

Those super baggy red pants I wear I got from www.linengarb.com, they are the Rus pants and run about 50 bucks, they also have another style of pants that run for 35, they don't have quite the poof, and are more of a straight legged baggy pant, but it is 100% linen, and their pants are a nice sturdy linen. They also have a nice viking tunic for around 50 as well.

You can definitely get cheaper if you can talk someone into (or learning how to) sewing it for you and just getting the material. But I'd seriously recommend linen material if you can get your hands on it.

-Convel
Back to top Go down
Hollister

Hollister

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Starting Garb   Recommended Starting Garb I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 7:36 pm

Sweet, Thanks guys (and gals)!
Back to top Go down
Izmiranna Peregrine

Izmiranna Peregrine

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Starting Garb   Recommended Starting Garb I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 8:28 pm

More than ½ my garb is clothing Ive bought from a 2nd hand/thrift store, broke most of it down (stitch ripped), then made the style I wanted. Works decent if you know how to use a sewing machine. I can also give you more ideas while at practice for those interested.

-Izmiranna Peregrine pirat gfxlovers.com/smilies
Pirate Viking or Viking Pirate...?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001046867423
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Starting Garb   Recommended Starting Garb I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Recommended Starting Garb
Page 1 of 1