Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

New guys need help!

Go down 
+3
konradr
Phoxly
Molds
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Molds

Molds

New guys need help! Empty
PostSubject: New guys need help!   New guys need help! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 8:44 am

Hey, Im Molds and I've seen you guys at Desert Breeze a lot and always thought it was extremely cool and wanted to try. Me and a close friend of mine (torgus) decided we'd commit to this, BUT of course were clueless to what all we need. (We know the basics weapons shields) But we'd love it if we could give a basic rundown of material for makeing said weapon and shield and any rules that we need to know (like weapon size limits and fighting rules). Any information on a good place to start would be awesome such as where to get material and such things. Like to know about the weapon shield and armor rules and material they are made out of. We're not the richest people in the world so stuff that doesn't cost major $$$ would be great. Thanks guys and we look forward to joining up as soon as possible! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: New guys need help!   New guys need help! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 2:39 pm

This is a good read:

http://www.dagorhir.com/forums/index.php?topic=23258.0
It's missing links though.

http://www.dagorhir.com/dagorhir/Rules.htm
Rules!

If you guys are looking at making your own weapons and your own gear, we are having a build day this Friday.

If you come with $10, you can leave with a sword. We have blade kits and core you can buy if you are interested, or you can make your own out of blue Ozark Trail camping foam and a PVC core through some tutorials on the web.

http://www.dagorhir.com/gear/content/weapon_tutorials/howtomakeabluesword.swf

The tough thing about making weapons by yourself for the first time is sometimes they don't make safety requirements, or they are likely to fall apart so it might be best to try and make it out to the build day, or ask more questions here on building weapons and using DAP correctly.

Gotta run off to work, I'll post more links for you later! Welcome to Barad'Dun!
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: New guys need help!   New guys need help! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 4:19 pm

Don't worry about making anything on your first time out. Just come out to the field and introduce yourself. We have loaner stuff that you can use, we'll explain the rules, will have you sign a waiver if your 18 or older (or give you one to take home for mom and pop to notorize if you're under 18). Then we'll throw you to the Orcs, literally. If you like it. Come out again and again. Once you are committed, as you say, by coming out at least for a month, then we'll expect you to start thinking about making your own weapon and definately some Garb.

This Saturday we have a Realm from Southern Utah coming to fight with us at Desert Breeze. They have some veteran's and some noobs too. So come out and join the fun.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Hollister

Hollister

PostSubject: Re: New guys need help!   New guys need help! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 7:35 pm

Being a lowly peasant who lacks in... everything... I can't help answer your questions. Well, I could, but I'd probably give you the wrong information.

However, even a lowly peasant can extend a greeting! Well Met! Look forward to meeting you!
Back to top Go down
Torgus

PostSubject: Re: New guys need help!   New guys need help! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 8:01 pm

Thanks for the information. We will defiantly come out there soon probably within the month. We have found the stuff to make our own shields and swords so will get started on it right away and start practicing soon. We know the rules now. Any mandatory garb we need?
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: New guys need help!   New guys need help! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 8:04 pm

I would hold off on making your own gear until you come out and see some of the premade stuff and hold it in your hands to get a feel for what you guys want. There are a lot of tricks and tips for making weapons that last a long time, such as making sure your DAP is cured before sticking it onto something.
Back to top Go down
Izmiranna Peregrine

Izmiranna Peregrine

PostSubject: Re: New guys need help!   New guys need help! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 8:41 pm

We don't require garb to start off, but we would like to see you in at least one piece of garb about your 4th-5th time out. Even a shoddy attempt is better than nothing.
But, on that note, there are a few of us that can help make you garb if you can get the materials for them to make it.

-Izmiranna Peregrine pirat gfxlovers.com/smilies
Pirate Viking or Viking Pirate...?

P.S. Welcome aboard!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001046867423
Torgus

PostSubject: Re: New guys need help!   New guys need help! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 9:30 pm

Thanks. I may come out to the build day possibly but molds will not be there. We used to larp every once and a while so were not useless with a weapon. So shield sword (or a weapon of sorts) and the release form is all that is mandatory for first few times out. (The three of us all together are under 18). Then a attempt at garb down the road?
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: New guys need help!   New guys need help! I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 9:45 pm

You don't need weapons to come out, we have LOTS of them for people to try our game out. Garb and other gear are something people start to think about around their 2nd and 3rd month fighting with us. We have shields as well!

If you have an idea of what kind of character you want to portray, you can start thinking of garb ideas. Myself, I'm a goblin. Very Happy

You can play it how you want, the game is the same, how you experience it is the unique part Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Dante

Dante

PostSubject: Re: New guys need help!   New guys need help! I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 12:26 am

weapons r cheap dude. dont trip. ive made 3 to 4 swords for under $50
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/DJgrenade
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: New guys need help!   New guys need help! I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 1:20 am

Yeah, but most people's first swords don't last more than 2 weeks.
Back to top Go down
Dante

Dante

PostSubject: Re: New guys need help!   New guys need help! I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 5:07 am

mine dont last more than a weekend. weekly maintenance man Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/DJgrenade
Hollister

Hollister

PostSubject: Re: New guys need help!   New guys need help! I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 7:44 am

Dante wrote:
mine dont last more than a weekend. weekly maintenance man Very Happy

Yeah... killing large quantities of peasants will do that to a sword... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Molds

Molds

PostSubject: Re: New guys need help!   New guys need help! I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 9:34 am

Haha. Yeah I've been doing all the little math stuff and to make an awesome sword and brutal shield would cost all together 30 dollars. Im going out of town this week unfortunatly but torgus may be there at the build day and then again on saturday so you guys can kill him for a little bit Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: New guys need help!   New guys need help! I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 2:40 pm

Taco and Kitty, and Izzy are holding two build days for Garb/Gear, make sure you get information on it and where it will be. See you Saturday!
Back to top Go down
Izmiranna Peregrine

Izmiranna Peregrine

PostSubject: Re: New guys need help!   New guys need help! I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 3:20 pm

I'm holding a Garb Build Day this Friday, this one will not be a weapon/gear build... my weapon/gear building day will be either late this month or early next month. The garb build this month is for the invasion this Saturday, garb for Wedding, and then general garb. All are welcome, just look up my post HERE for more info.

-Izmiranna Peregrine pirat gfxlovers.com/smilies
Pirate Viking or Viking Pirate...?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001046867423
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New guys need help!   New guys need help! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New guys need help!
Page 1 of 1