Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

Question...

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Alacian

Alacian

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Question...   Question... I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 5:49 am

Of course I'm not making a weapon this time around as I'll talk to someone at the practice about how and so on and so forth.

But I wondered. Are staves allowed in Dagorhir? Since they're normally made of PVC. What if the foam was put at both ends. You leave gripping room in the middle, etc or wrap it with leather for a better grip. Has anyone done that? If not...and it's allowed...I might. I forget now which color is for two handed weapons but I know it would fall under that most likely...blah blah...

But anyway. Staves? Thoughts on it folk?
Back to top Go down
Strider

Strider

Location : Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: lolololololololololol roflcopterswaswaswa

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 5:53 am

What you're asking about is a quarter-staff. Yes it's possible, and in fact I have one. They're but there are a lot of downsides to it, I'll bring mine to practice so you can see how it runs.
Back to top Go down
Alacian

Alacian

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 5:56 am

Yeah. It's a quarterstaff. I knew that. It's just late and I'm tired. Heh.

But. Yeah. Bring yours. Be my dummy and I'll try it on you. *nods*

I'm sure there's downsides to a lot. But it was just something I'm curious about, ya know.
Back to top Go down
Strider

Strider

Location : Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: lolololololololololol roflcopterswaswaswa

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 5:57 am

Yeah no problem, I'll do it for you. Don't worry about it Razz
Back to top Go down
Alacian

Alacian

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 6:00 am

Thanks, baby. I appreciate it. You're the best.

p.s. Your pm is there. Wink
Back to top Go down
K'urn

K'urn

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 8:47 pm

Just remember where you got that staff. You still owe me two beat sticks....lol.
Remember that a quarter staff is a blue weapon. It can also be green, but only if BOTH ends pass as green.

K-
Back to top Go down
Alacian

Alacian

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 9:17 pm

Ha ha. No worries. I'm actually really leaning towards the use of a quarterstaff unless I'm just horribly bad at it this Saturday. If I do make one though I'll make it pass for green with the assistance of someone that does weapon building so I can pad BOTH ends.
Back to top Go down
K'urn

K'urn

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 9:30 pm

As my personal opinion, and i tried to tell this to strider as well, if you want a weapon with length, power, and the ability to block, you would do well to look into using a glaive.

Pros and cons of glaives and staffs.

Staves can only be blue weapons. (with the exception for green tips)
Staves are almost unusable in one hand.
Staves and glaives can be, and often are comparable in length.
Staves have to be round.

Glaives are red weapons (shield breaking power)
You can wedge the pommel under your arm for one handed use.
Glaives give you more reach, as you can extend all the way to the pommel.
Glaives can be made in any shape (cooler looking weapons).

These are just a few, off the top of my head. If you want to fight with a Quarterstaff...that is cool. I would not suggest to use one for it's combat effectiveness. If you want it for a role-play thing...Go for it, please disregard all I've said.

All I mean is, for something that is combat effective and just as cool looking, I would go for the glaive.

Either way, If you need help making your weapon post here and I will do what I can to talk you through it. If all else fails, I could probably build it and ship it to you.

K-
Back to top Go down
Alacian

Alacian

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 9:42 pm

Hrm. Well it's not so much for the effectiveness of being 'cool' or anything. But trying to figure out something I can fight with and am capable of making, you know.

I'm 5'6 and weigh 125pds. I doubt I'll be throwing or fighting with any of those really, really long javelins or whatever they were that I've seen pictures of.

I want something that's effective in battle and something that even I can manage to use. Most of y'all are men and while I could use longer weapons...my ass is going to get clobbered if I try.

But you do make some very good points on the difference in the staff and the glaive. I'm going to practice this Saturday so I'll be able to try Strider's quarter-staff as well as sweet talk whomever is there into letting me try the weight or will demonstrate the use of their own weapons. lol That's easy to get people to show off with pride on what does what and how.

I'll take into consideration what you said in between now, practice and pay day.

....random question....ship it to me if all else fails? If all else fails and I have to do that....how much? lol *contemplates all options in case I fail*

My thanks for being sweet enough to explain the differences and help me.
Back to top Go down
K'urn

K'urn

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 9:47 pm

Cost of something like that would depend greatly on what exactly you want. If it comes to that, I will ask you a series of questions to better understand what it is you want/need. I will then calculate what it will cost me in materials and shipping, then get back with you about the price.

K-
Back to top Go down
Alacian

Alacian

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 9:50 pm

No worries, love. Figured I'd ask. For now I'll try out practice on Saturday and then talk to people and better figure out what it is I want as well as do my best to try my hand at crafting a weapon. It feels good to craft your own weapon after all and be proud of having put the time and effort into it.

Thanks all the same and I'll keep the offer in mind. At some point might have you do bow and arrows for me just so they're done right....*waits till after pay day though*.....

Hope all is going well by the by!

~ A
Back to top Go down
Strider

Strider

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 12:52 am

Yeah, yeah, I remember the beatsticks. I'm actually planning to make a glaive by this practice, so you can try of the feel of the quarter-staff and glaive, Alacian.
Back to top Go down
Alacian

Alacian

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 2:07 am

Strider wrote:
Yeah, yeah, I remember the beatsticks. I'm actually planning to make a glaive by this practice, so you can try of the feel of the quarter-staff and glaive, Alacian.

Thanks, doll. You're the best. Heh heh. *loves on*...Remind me to kiss you when I get to practice. =P
Back to top Go down
Strider

Strider

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 2:50 am

Haha, really it's no problem.
Back to top Go down
Alacian

Alacian

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 2:56 am

Heh heh.

Still. You're all surprisingly friendly and nice for Nevada folk. Nearly reminds me of home where cops used to wave back...not give you a suspicious look and keep going when you wave. =P
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 6:44 am

Strider's from Cali. So be careful, there friendly as hell, then turn out to be serial killers.

Make sure me or Kilanos do a weapon's check on that Glaive Strider before you sling it at anyone. Isk said he would be glad to help with Weapon's check too. I hope its better than the two handed axe I made. Just doesn't feel quite right.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Strider

Strider

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 6:47 am

I would never use a weapon you guys haven't checked. Faust will have a cleaver(one hand) and a two handed axe(4 foot) I made him for his birthday so you'll have to check those too.
Back to top Go down
K'urn

K'urn

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 1:35 pm

How did the cleaver turn out??

K-
Back to top Go down
Alacian

Alacian

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 1:46 pm

Ha ha. Serial killers....

Did I mention that with one flick of a pocket knife, and a little slit made to the love patch region, that those things pop out like marbles? Literally. *sweet smile*......*adjusts my halo*....

Not to worried about him being a serial killer. Heh heh.

But...Yeah. Weapons check. =P I'll play test dummy? Kidding.
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 3:29 pm

If I can scratch up some cash, I will buy a disposable camera to take pictures from this weekend, including the new weapon's made AK (after Kurn).

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Alacian

Alacian

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 7:10 pm

konradr wrote:
If I can scratch up some cash, I will buy a disposable camera to take pictures from this weekend, including the new weapon's made AK (after Kurn).

Konradr

I *might* be bringing mine if my cousin stays. It's a digital. Could email pictures to you after I got home?
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 7:11 pm

Sounds good. You could post on my photobucket. I have the info on the pictures from practice or promoting dagorhir topics.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Alacian

Alacian

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 7:27 pm

Awesome. I'll see about getting to borrow it from mom for practice then. No need to put out money on a disposable and then pay to have them developed, too.

- Alacian
Back to top Go down
Strider

Strider

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 4:45 am

To Kurn,

They both turned out pretty good I think. Now to get them checked silent
Back to top Go down
K'urn

K'urn

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 2:25 pm

Cool, were you able to get the hook working?

K-
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Question... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question...   Question... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next