Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

Shield Scrum.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
konradr

konradr

Shield Scrum. Empty
PostSubject: Shield Scrum.   Shield Scrum. I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 6:01 pm

During the Age of the Hoplon in ancient greece, the two shieldwalls (The famed Phalanx) would charge into one another. After the initial charge and slaughter of spear work, the lines would become to pressed for most weapon use other than grappling and dagger work.

Quick Quiz, this press of shields was called what in Greek????

There would then ensue a shield push. Each side trying to push the other off the field and thus crack their formation. As long as the Greek Phalanx was solid it was, just that, solid defence, but once it cracked open, ranks split apart, and cohesion lost, the individuals were no longer as protected and easier meat. The phalanx that broke was the one that usually started running, and usually had the most dead and dying when it was all over.

Later, during the Pike & shot era (Rennaissance). The swiss and landsknechts were famous for their Pike formations. These were much as the ancient Macedonian phalanx. These Pike formations would charge into one another and begin pushing to do the same thing. To push the other pike block back and break its formation.

Modern English Civil War reenactors have a game called a "Pike Scrum" or "Pike Push" in which two opposing blocks of Pikemen move into one another and attempt to push the other back.

Example:

I think we could have a game based on the same thing, only it will be a "Shield Scrum". No weapons will be used but they must be carried.

You would have two teams. They can be a basic team (4 men, all big shields) or a reenforced team (6 to 8 men, 4 front rankers with big shields, 4 2nd ranks any combo) or a large team (any number, but 4 to 6 men wide, any number of rear ranks)

You have a bridge, 4 to 6 men width. The object being for one or the other team to exit at least one member fully off the opposing team's edge of the bridge.

The scrum can start in the middle, with the front line's already shield to shield, or can start as a shield bash from more than 2 steps away.

The object is to push the other shield wall completely off the bridge or to shatter its formation so that one or more of your shield men can exit the otherside of the bridge.

Anyone falling off the bridge, dies. The object is not, however, to push people off the bridge, but to push them back. Sort of a reverse Tug of war.

This will give us a basic shield work drill, as well as some strength building and team comradeship.

The 2nd and follow on ranks must put their shields, arms, bodies or weapons, what have you, into the backs of the front rank and push.

Smaller, delicate people should be at the very back not the front (avoid shield crush)

Anyone can call "Hold" if anyone is hurt and can't get out of the shield crush.

What do you all think? I think it sounds kind of fun. We could try it when ATD come out. I think we could make it a tournament with 4 man teams.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
barrikaide

Shield Scrum. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shield Scrum.   Shield Scrum. I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 11:31 am

sounds and looks fun. I dont want to hurt people though.
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Shield Scrum. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shield Scrum.   Shield Scrum. I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 4:03 pm

Yeah, I thought it sounded like fun and a test of some teamwork. The opposite of Tug of War, instead the Push of War, but no one else seems interested. Maybe there's a fear of someone getting hurt.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Taco

Taco

Shield Scrum. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shield Scrum.   Shield Scrum. I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 1:32 am

that sounds like alot of fun man!! i would love to do it!
Back to top Go down
semtater

semtater

Shield Scrum. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shield Scrum.   Shield Scrum. I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 3:20 pm

The only people that I would be afraid of getting hurt are the people that are a fragile as me. And if we can call hold, then we can get people out of there that are trapped. I think it would be something to at least try.
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

Shield Scrum. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shield Scrum.   Shield Scrum. I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 6:36 pm

semtater wrote:
The only people that I would be afraid of getting hurt are the people that are a fragile as me. And if we can call hold, then we can get people out of there that are trapped. I think it would be something to at least try.

Yeah this would break me. v____V and with as messed up as my body alignment is atm I probably couldn't even participate in this. =( physical therapy for the loss.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Shield Scrum. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shield Scrum.   Shield Scrum. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shield Scrum.
Page 1 of 1