Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

another quick question

Go down 
+3
sasquatch
Phoxly
drakil
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
drakil

drakil

another quick question Empty
PostSubject: another quick question   another quick question I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 12:05 am

hey for fools raid i am tottaly pumped i have been practicing in my room(in my boxers) almost feel and broke my head parrying and all but when we check in who will check my wavier/flex test ps Where can i find cloth covers for blues and shields

pss

and me and my dad are attending the fools raid and in the fools raid post you said you were not planning on letting the youngens come and play

im 14 years of age 5,6 on a good day and 195 pounds i think i can handle running with the big dogs woof(line man next year 6 string woot)

psss so its for sure at davis park
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: another quick question   another quick question I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 12:26 am

Have you ever been to a dag/bel/amt practice before? You really should change your forum name to your fighter name so we know who yu are Very Happy

We will be at Davis Park friday night as a quick meet up and some sparring, Demie Zephyra's oathing, and discussion of the Fool's Raid. Please come! Red/Blue sword covers can be panty hose if you want or long socks. I will bring some on friday night if you are there we can possibly cover a sword if you have one.

See you there.

PS> It is at Davis park for sure.
Back to top Go down
drakil

drakil

PostSubject: Re: another quick question   another quick question I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 12:31 am

ill well be there with my dad if he can get up and we are working on swords today and saddly never been to practice but i have ran around with broom sticks aka swords all my life and changed my name and what about the shield covers and what time on friday 12 right

Last edited by drakil on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: another quick question   another quick question I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 12:35 am

Okay well good luck with your first weapon(s), I hope they are safe and effective. If you followed the online guides you are sure to have a decent weapon.

This event this weekend is kind of a big deal, and LOTS of people will be there so it may be overwhelming at first for new fighters.

Wearing 'garb' is a requirement for this event. No jeans, or teeshirts with logos. If nothing else you can take some black sweatpants and wear them with a white teeshirt (maybe add red food coloring for a blood splatter) and that'd be better than nothing (:

Hope to see you there!

It starts Saturday at 10AM (thats when weapons checking starts) and Sunday aswell.
Back to top Go down
drakil

drakil

PostSubject: Re: another quick question   another quick question I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 12:37 am

what time on friday 12 ?
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: another quick question   another quick question I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 12:38 am

Shield covers! Sorry forgot that in my post. The best shield cover is usually a sheet cut to fit around the shield with some duct tape to hold it on the back of the shield. It may look ugly but thats okay, most do lol. You can also stitch/glue the fabric around the shield on the back side.

For me I took a full sheet folded it in half, cut it to be about 8-10" bigger on all sides than my shield was (so it could wrap around to the backside) and duct taped it.

You can glue it (dont' glue the front) but if your shield does not pass safety inspections it can be hard to get it off.

Walmart has cloth glue you can use to glue just your folds around the shield (if its square)
Back to top Go down
sasquatch

sasquatch

PostSubject: Re: another quick question   another quick question I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 12:38 am

i rceommend for a quick easy sword slip you like 4 or 5 panty hose veryvery easy... for a shield um just cloth big enough to cover it and sew it together or duck tape is good too... try and come out friday tho and i think konradr is a notery so he can witness and make sure everything is in order...another important thing to remember tho is garb you can not fight in fool's raid without it
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/kookiecrazy
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: another quick question   another quick question I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 12:41 am

It will be Friday Night, 6PM to upwards of 9PM (or later?), its not really necessary if you want to go cause it might be a long distance, but if you have new weapons/shields you made I'd come friday so we can make sure they will pass the safety inspections and if they don't, you'll have that night to fix them.

Common safety newbie inspection failures on swords/shields:

Shields: The edges of the shield are hard/unpadded.

Swords: The pommel is loose and moves around easily (or if you have no pommel, thats a problem too Very Happy). Or its not padded enough and hurts when you hit someone "Light, Medium, Hard"

You'll need someone else to test it.
Back to top Go down
drakil

drakil

PostSubject: Re: another quick question   another quick question I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 12:42 am

what time would the practice on friday be
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: another quick question   another quick question I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 12:44 am

6 o clock at night, at Davis Park. We'll be sparring a little, discussing the event, and have an Oathing for Demie who advanced in the unit, The Royal Army.
Back to top Go down
drakil

drakil

PostSubject: Re: another quick question   another quick question I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 12:49 am

i just talked to my dad about friday and he dosent want me going to that park with a bunch of strangers So most likely wont see you till saturday he wont go friday

Last edited by drakil on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: another quick question   another quick question I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 12:51 am

Thats understandable. If you want you can post pictures of your weapon(s) and shield on the armory forum and people can give you some feedback?
Back to top Go down
drakil

drakil

PostSubject: Re: another quick question   another quick question I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 12:52 am

alright ill see what i can do i guess you might have to meet me half way(hehe) this is what we are going to base are weapons off of

https://www.youtube.com/user/jjfullmer#p/u/5/UZSMP5W6iPc
the sword

the shield
https://www.youtube.com/user/jjfullmer#p/u/3/B9ixHvXuCWE

we are worring about a working model more then creatism itll have to wait
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: another quick question   another quick question I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 1:02 am

So is your weapon a sword, or is it like a bat/beatstick? I think if you went with that guy's tutorial you should be alright, its a bat that he made which is good cause they are hard to mess up (:
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: another quick question   another quick question I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 1:03 am

http://www.dagorhir.com/dagorhir/Rules.htm

Read that (:

His shield design is also a decent one, I think you should be good if you followed the instructions pretty well.
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: another quick question   another quick question I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 1:06 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEUeYRbVNOk

Another good "coreless" design. Its pretty good and isnt too difficult.
Back to top Go down
drakil

drakil

PostSubject: Re: another quick question   another quick question I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 1:12 am

Phoxly wrote:
http://www.dagorhir.com/dagorhir/Rules.htm

Read that (:

His shield design is also a decent one, I think you should be good if you followed the instructions pretty well.

i have read the handbook times over mostly out because im so ready to get this going
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: another quick question   another quick question I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 1:18 am

Well glad to have ya in our realm, hope you have a blast this weekend.
Back to top Go down
Knubbs

Knubbs

PostSubject: Re: another quick question   another quick question I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 2:43 am

Hello Drakil,

I'm Knubbs, Scribe and Corsair in the Royal Army Unit in this realm.

You seem to have lots of questions and excitement which is good.

In order for you to play, I need to have a Waiver signed and notarized before the event. You dad should know what to do.

Being as that you are 14, you are a little young. Your playing on the field for fool's raid will come down to our realm leader's decision.

If your dad is going to be with you it will only help out the situation. We like the parents to be comfortable with this game. I'm proud of your desire to play, Kudos on the weapons but just concentrate on getting Garb for the Event. We have weapons for you to use if you need to. Smile

Just like Phoxly said, Sweatpants, with the bottom bands cut off and a plain t-shirt with no icons or labels. Try to wear darker shoes, if you have hiking boots or something in darker colors like tans, browns, and black that would be awesome.

If you have any questions, just post them in this thread.
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: another quick question   another quick question I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 2:56 am

Yes as Knubbs said there will be a lot of older and experienced fighters on the field, you are not required to fight in each fight or game(realm vs realm which is easily HUGE teams vs eachother).

Nonetheless it will be a fun event to attend and as long as you are prepared for the intensity and fun you'll fit righ tin. Smile
Back to top Go down
drakil

drakil

PostSubject: Re: another quick question   another quick question I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 3:31 am

ill see you all there and once my dad knows you all i can go to the practice
Back to top Go down
Morlock

Morlock

PostSubject: Re: another quick question   another quick question I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 6:00 am

yes! another for the slaughter! Twisted Evil

Keep in mind a few things;

a cardboard shield will be broken in about 10 minutes.

Fun noodle sword CAN hurt.

the following site is your best friend when it comes to building stuff.
http://geddon.org/index.php/Category:How_to_build
(Start here!)

If you are willing I will spar with you on the side lines if you are too young for the mass battle.
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: another quick question   another quick question I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 6:47 am

Friday is just a get together, not really practice. We always spar a little, its in our nature. But we will be discussing fool's raid, etc.

Saturday and Sunday, Fool's Raid, will be at Davis park. We begin practice at Noon. Be there early to get weapons checked in and to get organized.

Knubbs is handling Waivers now and requires your parent has yours notarized.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: another quick question   another quick question I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 4:08 pm

We have a few other under 16's that have practiced with us and want to attend. Since this is not an 'Official' event but a glorified practice, we will allow it, but the Adunakhor (Realm Leader) Surt has expressed that he will make this decision at the field. We want you to play, but we don't want to see smaller people getting hurt in the larger fights. Bring notarized waiver's and garb.

Someone posted that I am a Notary. I am not. Someone's relative is, but I forgot who. I'm am just and older version of one of the little people that will probably get hurt in a shield bash.

For you smaller fighters, we don't want to see this happen, but it is legal and expected, especially in a big mass brawl.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: another quick question   another quick question I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 4:56 pm

Where was the herald on that one...

"Illegal shield to head contact, you sir are dead, off the field."

>__> That was just mean, poor guy never saw it coming, however the shield bash is legal, and is to be expected.

Quote :

4.8.1 - A shield bash means using a shield to strike an opponent starting from a distance more than two steps away.

4.8.2 - A shield check means using a shield to strike an opponent starting from a distance two steps away or closer.

4.8.3 - Players may shield bash an opponent on their front or side. Bashing an opponent from the rear is prohibited. Bashing an opponent who has lost a leg is prohibited.

4.8.4 - Players may shield check an opponent from any direction. Players may shield check opponents who have lost a leg.

4.8.5 - It is never permissible to strike a fighter in the head or neck with a shield.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: another quick question   another quick question I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

another quick question
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next