Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

Fighting tactics.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
konradr

konradr

Fighting tactics. Empty
PostSubject: Fighting tactics.   Fighting tactics. I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 6:58 am

Every time we have practice, I always learn something new. I try to absorb it mentally so I will remember, but it is best to practice. Pel practice, use a padded 4 X 4, or a heavy punching bag, and practice your strikes from all angles. Shadow boxing, er, fighting, with or without weapon/shield, mentally prepares muscles and you can do it anywhere, even at work. (ever walk down a hall dodging blows in your mind and counter striking only to get those weird stares from people. That would be one of those, 'you know your a dag fighter if...)

When ever I think of a new tactic that could be used on the field, I'm not talking about field tactics, I mean personal fighting methods or moves against individual opponants, I sometimes want to write about them and see what everyone else has to say on the matter. People can discuss tactics and methods and others can glean from them what they want. So I decided to start this thread.

Things we can discuss can be anything we see or think about in our fighting, like for example...

1. What's the best tactic to use when Barrikaide comes rushing at you with that big, black behemoth of a shield of his?

Hmmm, with a pole arm, you could keep him at a distance by pushing the head against his shield. Could do a shield kick or grab and try to jam the shield against him or towards his sword arm so he blocks his own blows while exposing his left leg to a gimp attack...

Okay here's two tactics I noticed. The first one I captured in those pictures I took during last week's practice. The one's where Surt is fighting Heretic who has been legged.

Notice how Surt has his feet far enough back to avoid any leg blows from heretic. When he attacks he leans or jumps in without moving his legs in for a counter blow.

Here's another I noticed this last Saturday. Ximali yelled "Don't be intimidated by Reds" and You know, I am. I have a bad habit of stopping just short of them and wondering what to do. Bad habit, you are always in range of a red. But watching Ximali and Surt I see they don't stop, they rush them even when the red is flying at them, they take the blow on their shield, or parry/dodge and continue rushing in before the red user can swing his weapon a second time. knubbs swings his sword in circles to get his angles. I find that I am holding back or to slow to close, whereas the correct tactic seems to take the first blow on the shield or avoid it, and then bum rush him and strike to the midsection or legs.

I think I had some other thoughts, but its midnight and I have to go to bed. Later.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Knubbs

Knubbs

Fighting tactics. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fighting tactics.   Fighting tactics. I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 6:25 pm

Yeah, with reds part of the game is intimidation. if i can make you freeze for just long enough i can get momentum on my side and keep going.

Doing research about the weapons we use also uncovers there uses for tactics as well.

For instance:

Great swords had few uses in war.

they broke pikes, broke shields, and were suited more for multiple versus one combat. in a duel they fail because the only tactically sane way to fight one on one is piercing attacks like a pike. so because of that 2handers need armor to survive more then first collision with others. its very interesting stuff.

also little things i have found out that although a few Zweihanderz were 70" or more in length they never weighed more than 11-12 lbs. Heavier blades then that were for ceremonial uses.
Back to top Go down
K'urn

K'urn

Fighting tactics. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fighting tactics.   Fighting tactics. I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 9:33 pm

[quote="1. What's the best tactic to use when Barrikaide comes rushing at you with that big, black behemoth of a shield of his?[/quote]

Take a knee, table top your shield and roll him over your shoulder.

K-
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Fighting tactics. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fighting tactics.   Fighting tactics. I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 8:07 pm

Some info from the Dagorhir forum about reds:

OK things that you shouldnt do with reds that I see alot of ppl do
1.Swinging their huge red sword around their head to hit someone. While it does make your red shot hit harder it also while being swung around your is at head level of everyone else.

2.straight down shots at ppls shoulders,as much as you want it to hit their shoulder you will most likely hit them in the head dont do it.

3.Trying to use a huge red that was meant to be swung with two hands only using one,you loose all control and become very ineffective and dangerous at the same time bring a backup with you.

4.Baseball bat swinging at someone from behind while they have no clue your there,agreed not against the rules but a total assanine thing to do.Yes some ppl will say your courtesy wasnt a hit because you were being a nice guy,but most ppl will say thank you for not breaking my spine.Those Idiots that dont take courtesy shots,remember them and hit them as hard as you want and if they complain tell them why you didnt courtesy them.

Things to do while using a red
1.Learn how to back peddle while swinging

2.Swing on defferent axises dont just swing for one side of the sword and boarder switch it up

3.If they charge you go for their legs if they cant walk they cant get to you and reds go through armor so one shot to a leg immoblizes your opponent and now you have reach and mobility on them

4.keep a wide grip on your handle that space between your hands is great for blocking

5.Learn what constitutes a shield breaking hit and call yourself on it tell them not to take it if it isnt good.

6. Try to always be on the offensive once you go defensive your probably going to loose

7.Shield kicking is great thing to use if you need to back someone off of you plant one in the middle of thier shield and back em up.

Thats all i got other than b4 you pick up a red try a blue you will learn better control with a blue.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

Fighting tactics. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fighting tactics.   Fighting tactics. I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 8:14 pm

More from the Dag forum......

1. Compass legs. Move your body in axis so that you are clear of your opponents line of strikes.
2. Sidestepping. Best way to create oppenings is to expand the dimensionality of your target. A sidestep will open up areas that used to be blocked.
3. With a long shafted weapon every block or parry is accompanied by a hit. It will be opposite to your enemies weapon and you'll eat up their shield or body.
4. Learn the power of push and pull. You can get a lot of power in short distances.
5. Reach is an advantage, use it.

For those of you looking for info on making weapons or how to use them, go to www.dagorhir.com and register on the forum. Great info for us. Share your views with the Dag community and us.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Knubbs

Knubbs

Fighting tactics. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fighting tactics.   Fighting tactics. I_icon_minitimeMon May 04, 2009 4:32 pm

" 5.Learn what constitutes a shield breaking hit and call yourself on it tell them not to take it if it isnt good."

I will call red when i hit a shield. The judgement of the hit itself is up to the person. who is receiving it.

Now if someone calls red and doesnt connect solidly with the shield then im probably not going to take it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fighting tactics. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fighting tactics.   Fighting tactics. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fighting tactics.
Page 1 of 1