Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

Seeking information and advice

Go down 
+2
nightmare92
MrWilliams
6 posters
AuthorMessage
MrWilliams

Seeking information and advice Empty
PostSubject: Seeking information and advice   Seeking information and advice I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2012 11:09 pm

Greetings all! I'm a teacher over the mountain in Pahrump and the advisor of the PVHS RPG Club. My little monsters would like to add some LARP aspect to their gaming (or they just want a reason to beat each other) so I'm looking into inexpensive ways to make this happen for them. Any advice on making or people who sell pre-made weapons and armor? If so, what are the prices roughly? And when do you have your regular practices in case they want to come check out you guys?
Thanks!
Mr. Williams
Back to top Go down
nightmare92

nightmare92

PostSubject: Re: Seeking information and advice   Seeking information and advice I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 6:48 am

Greetings !! That's awesome i wish my school would let us beat each other up with foam swords, there are sites that make pre-made swords and shields. http://www.foam-fighting.com this site is where you can get pre-made swords. we also have people here that will be more then happy to make you weapons and shields for a price though. It depends on what you guys want for the price.We play at Desert Breeze park on the grass field right on the corner of Twain and Durango on Saturdays at 12 noon. We play full contact. There is also a separate practice on Tuesdays at 6pm We love having new people out and encourage you guys to come down if you can. hope to hear from you guys.-Nightmare

Last edited by nightmare92 on Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Grek

Grek

PostSubject: Re: Seeking information and advice   Seeking information and advice I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 7:29 am

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=647767959
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: Seeking information and advice   Seeking information and advice I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 10:40 am

Our group is not a LARP, however. Dagorhir is based on Lord of the Rings, but is in fact a full contact medieval fighting sport. We select 'battle names' and 'battle characters' and for many, that is as far as any role play goes. Our game uses no magic or magical attributes. We fight, pure and simple and our fighting is on the level of high school football. Minimum age for our sport is 16. Since you are a High School group, I'm sure the age thing shouldn't be a problem and I would say come on out any Saturday and we could show you and let your guys and gals (Yes, some girls fight too) have a go.

If you are looking for a traditional LARP, we have two groups here in Vegas, but a link to their sites escapes me. One is called "Amtguard" and the Other is Called "NERO". Both have magic and use more role play and a lighter touch when fighting. For information on Amtguard in Las Vegas, PM a member on this forum named Taco and ask him how to get in touch with Amtguard. (I guy named Aries is the leader, Ben Jurek on facebook) For information on NERO, you can PM a member on our Forum named Wolf. He plays NERO one weekend a month and the other three weekends he fights with us.

Our national website is www.dagorhir.com. It has the rules listed, waivers to be printed out and signed and tutorials on weapon, shield and garb making. Hope this helps. There use to be a Dagorhir group in Pahrump called 'Isengard'. They do have a forum but noone seems to be on it anymore.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Seeking information and advice   Seeking information and advice I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 7:30 pm

Healing "Poems" Smile
Back to top Go down
MrWilliams

PostSubject: Re: Seeking information and advice   Seeking information and advice I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2012 10:49 pm

I appreciate all the information and the clarification from Konradr, though I only used the term LARP because that's what they've thrown around. So far their "LARP" consists of chasing each other around with Nerf swords and axes, so I'm pretty sure they won't mind a lack of story-line and real role-playing. Wink

My plan is to use the Dagorhir rule set as a starting point and a modified version of your wavier to make sure I have all my bases covered when I talk to my principal. I came to bug you guys because you're "local", so I can tell the kids where to see people who do this all the time and to hunt down craftsmen/women for the kids with more disposable income than patience. I do know a bit about armored combat from my SCA research, but I've never tried foam. Maybe I'll end up a convert...

Anyway, I will see if any of them want to "field trip" to Vegas some Saturday and if any of you weapon/shield/armor crafter types are interested in a new project please shoot me a message with rough pricing that I can relate to the little monsters. We don't yet have any club funds to use, so they will have to talk that out with their parents.
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Seeking information and advice   Seeking information and advice I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 25, 2012 8:36 am

You know what would be a really neat experience for you guys? We are hosting an event in Las Vegas this next month. https://baraddun.forumotion.net/t2079-fool-s-raid-2012 <--- Discussion about it.

Grek wrote:
"Fool's Raid 2012 - April 28th and 29th - Las Vegas"

When: April 28th and 29th
Where: Lone Mountain Park, Las Vegas, Nevada

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/10-y1m18m96eBt0UMDGDJBT

It'd be cool if you guys could make it down or get some experience before hand, but the event is going to hopefully bring in 70-80 people/fighters. With scenario based games like "Capture the Flag" and a few other ideas we might draft up before then.

Most of the Role Playing in our group is more or less for aesthetics. We have Templars, Trolls, Goblins, Pirates, Vikings, Norsemen, and more. It's more the persona that the person wants to portray on the field, and some will role play lightly while they fight.

I highly recommend this website for premade weapons by mail: www.edhellen.com

Their shields are kind of pricey, but their $30 per sword they have on the website is pretty standard, and will last between 6 months to a year before the foam breaks down.
Back to top Go down
MrWilliams

PostSubject: Re: Seeking information and advice   Seeking information and advice I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 5:01 am

I will definitely mention Fool's Raid to the kids... though I myself will be teaching a class on that Saturday and probably being geeky with the SCA on Sunday. Why must everything end up on the same damn weekend? scratch
Back to top Go down
Taco

Taco

PostSubject: Re: Seeking information and advice   Seeking information and advice I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 30, 2012 9:47 am

well awesome that you looked us, up im a weapon, garb and Armour builder. if you are still looking for one. hit me up my email is Joshua.Bryant.c@gmail.com just put taco in the subject.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seeking information and advice   Seeking information and advice I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Seeking information and advice
Page 1 of 1