Barad'Dun The Western Tower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Barad'Dun The Western Tower

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  WebpageWebpage  Log inLog in  

Practice games/fighting

Go down 
+2
Phoxly
Kilanos
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Kilanos

Kilanos

Practice games/fighting Empty
PostSubject: Practice games/fighting   Practice games/fighting I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 2:11 pm

Hey everyone,

As some of you may have noticed, practice has been a little hectic and disorganized lately as we have been acclimating to the heat of the summer again as well as the change over of practice leadership. Konradr did a great job of running practice and I have some big shoes to fill. With that in mind, I am attempting to work on a list of games, both straight fighting and goal orientated, to make sure we have a wide range of activities each practice and was wondering if there are any that we haven't done in a while that you can think of, or anything that you would like to see us run more of.

Thanks for any input and here is the list I have come up with so far.

General Fighting
1. Free for all/Cutthroat
2. Line Battles
3. Ditch Battles
4. 2 Man Teams
5. 3/4 Man Teams
6. Equipment Team Battles (S&B vs. 2 weapon vs. reds vs. ranged)
7. Bridge Battle
8. Island Battle

Game Based Fighting
1. Goblin Head
2. Capture the Flag
3. Goblin Horde
4. Outpost 7
5. Zombie
6. King of the Hill
7. Kill the King
8. Infantry/Cavalry

Weapon Based Fighting
1. Dagger Fights
2. Sword and Board
3. 2 weapon
4. 2-handers
5. Gladiator (One sword, one shield per 2 man team)
6. Archery Circle

-Kil
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Practice games/fighting   Practice games/fighting I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 3:07 pm

I like the general fighting for a warmup, games for the bulk of it, and close with the weapons based?
Back to top Go down
Alacian

Alacian

PostSubject: Re: Practice games/fighting   Practice games/fighting I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 5:10 pm

Random input...

We don't have time to do all of them without being dead on our feet by the end of practice. I think we should switch off every week on what we do. Like Phoxly said; General fighting for warmup perhaps. But all of this depends on how you want to start. Whether you're planning this from 10am (Royal Army Practice) or 12pm (usual practice). If you're going from the 10am standpoint....Here's a rough outline of what I'd see..

10am Royal Army Practice Begins
(No matter who has showed up yet by 10:15. Highest ranking present takes the lead.)

1: Stretch. Run.

2: Brief water break.

3: Pit fighting. (For warm-up).

The pit fighting I'm referring to is what Smithy started that one practice. Everyone circles up and two individuals at a time gets called up to the plate. It's an easy way to get warmed up and get into their niche before real fighting starts for the day.

After enough of that has been had...

4: Cutthroat, line battles or ditch, etc battles begin. (Take your pick for the week or hold a vote that morning at practice.)

5: Game-oriented fighting begins! Pick one for the week or vote for it at practice.

If you're going to play King of The Hill or Outpost 7, this should be planned on before it's to miserable with the heat. About 11:30ish/12pm. We need to think about the heat and keeping hydrated for any strenuous games. You don't want to be that village idiot that didn't drink enough water and has Smithy stabbing a needle into your arm! You will be getting your fluids one way or the other.

6: And lastly some weapon-based fighting. Take your pick or take a vote.

So, there's a layout that I like. However, it will need to be adjusted accordingly for the Royal Army's practice and so on and so forth. I just figured I'd give my two cents. You'll do a great job, Kilanos. I believe in you.

Personally I'd like to play Outpost 7 again soon. I'd like some bridge battles, lava pit monsters and gladiator. I'd also like to play Relic at some point. But all of this will come with time.

- A

Back to top Go down
Demie Zephyra

Demie Zephyra

PostSubject: Re: Practice games/fighting   Practice games/fighting I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 5:25 pm

~Cough~ Kill the Killer. :] Nice wind-down game.
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: Practice games/fighting   Practice games/fighting I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 5:29 pm

Wow! a subject I love! Sorry I haven't been around too much to help out. I miss practice so much. Mostly its been car trouble. I will start making more practice if I have to wait til the wife comes home so I can steal the van.

I finally got my DVD on "Duels of Ragnarok" and its got some good fighting footage. I plan on having a viewing when I can manage it. Because they were so late in sending it to me, they also sent me a double disc documentary set on Ragnarok 22. I just watched the 2 hour documentary last night and some of the tournament footage. Guess who's in the tournament, fighting 'Green weapons'. Yep, our own Surt. I saw alot of Elwrath in there too and of course Mordrauk and khan Vaida of Aggelgorod which makes me want to make a trip out there to fight these guys and soak up their experience. Mordrauk talked about the very first Ragnarok, yep, rag 1. Anyhow a few things I noted.

1. Tug O' War Dagorhir style. They have two teams pulling the rope past a point like in traditional tug o' war, but each team has a skirmish screen of fighters across the front. The fighters try to get past the other teams skirmish line and then start killing the rope men til their team pulls the rope across the line, etc.

2. Endless Bridge. Its a circle bridge that ends on itself. 3 teams fighting on it. I don't know if its rez but I doubt it.

3. Basic castle battle is a bridge up a slope through castle gates. All the attacking team has to do is 'breach' that is break through to a simple objective (raise a flag, tap a cone, cross a line, etc)

4. Weapons' tournaments. (I've only seen half this footage so will comment later on the rest) Any single blue. Any single handed weapon and shield. Green can be either a spear, a javelin or a punch/stab dagger. Two handed can be any two weapons as long as they are one is held in each hand. A spear and blue is considered two hands as long as both are held in a hand, etc. Archers versus archers I don't know it looked like they were given 'lanes' and would either shoot back and forth or run past eachother trying to get shots off while changing sides.

Don't forget this link Kilanos, for what they planned at Ragnarok this year. Alot of control games that maybe we could scale down in some way.

http://www.dagorhir.com/forums/index.php?topic=18950.msg383012#msg383012

OH and don't forget OSGILITH. Two bridges to an island with defender's defending a flag. 3 teams. I was thinking of putting a gap in the bridges at the island so attackers had to jump to the island.

ACHILLES, one versus everyone, Achilles has to be hit on the left leg (or you could change up the body part)

TROLL, SLAYER, HUMAN free for all.

I still have that printout list of games, I'll make you a copy if you would like.

Konradr

PS: Did my leather "Crowns" ever show up for Kill the King????

Back to top Go down
http://www.angelfire.com/nv/jazzviking/whatisa.html
Demie Zephyra

Demie Zephyra

PostSubject: Re: Practice games/fighting   Practice games/fighting I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 5:43 pm

I have the tan crown, Konradr. I'm not sure who has the black one.
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: Practice games/fighting   Practice games/fighting I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 5:52 pm

Here's a link to a rugby like ballgame they tried at Rag this year.

http://www.dagorhir.com/forums/index.php?topic=19089.msg386703#msg386703

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Phoxly

Phoxly

PostSubject: Re: Practice games/fighting   Practice games/fighting I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 5:54 pm

I wasn't a fan of achiles, but I do like the sound of the TROLL, SLAYER, HUMAN game Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kilanos

Kilanos

PostSubject: Re: Practice games/fighting   Practice games/fighting I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 7:58 pm

This isn't meant as we are going to do all these games each week. I'm going to try to rotate the games schedule so we do new stuff each week, however, I knew I was forgetting quite a few games which is why I'm asking for input from all you lovely people... Oh and Alacian too. Anyways, thanks for the input and if you think of any more, let me know.

-Kil
Back to top Go down
Alacian

Alacian

PostSubject: Re: Practice games/fighting   Practice games/fighting I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 12, 2010 9:00 pm

Kilanos wrote:
This isn't meant as we are going to do all these games each week. I'm going to try to rotate the games schedule so we do new stuff each week, however, I knew I was forgetting quite a few games which is why I'm asking for input from all you lovely people... Oh and Alacian too. Anyways, thanks for the input and if you think of any more, let me know.

-Kil

Bastard. Razz
Back to top Go down
Hxctemplar

Hxctemplar

PostSubject: Re: Practice games/fighting   Practice games/fighting I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 6:00 am

konradr wrote:
I finally got my DVD on "Duels of Ragnarok" and its got some good fighting footage. I plan on having a viewing when I can manage it. Because they were so late in sending it to me, they also sent me a double disc documentary set on Ragnarok 22.

Ah, cool! I saw that online last month, the dvd's, and wondered if they were any good. i know they have the Rag vid and another one of Baydon Hills. Is it any good/worth the money?
Back to top Go down
konradr

konradr

PostSubject: Re: Practice games/fighting   Practice games/fighting I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 7:39 am

Kilanos, I'll give you a copy of the games sheets I have.

IDEA, what about "Game Runes" You take some of those cheap plastic poker chips. Glue on paper (Or use masking tape) write down the name of a game on each chip. Place them in a bowl/urn/hat/commode, shake and have a volunteer draw one chip for the next game to be played.

Templar, I can loan you the DVD later.

Konradr
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Practice games/fighting   Practice games/fighting I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Practice games/fighting
Page 1 of 1